AC vs ACv2?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Sirene_Fippy, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Fooba Augur

Taking bets on how long until Fllint is an Iksar.
    Enkel, Iila, Edrick and 1 other person like this.
  2. Trajet D'Or Augur

90 hAgi is an optimal interval which prevents loss to truncation anything other than a multiple of 90 has slightly less value relative to raw AC. The value of hAgi to Dodge a hit is an entirely separate calculation and consideration.

Step1 = (8000 * 90) / 36000 = 20
    Step2 = (90 / 10) = 9
    'Agility Bonus' = 20 + 9 = 29

63 Warrior non-Shield AC = 29.4 truncated to 29.
    66 Knight non-Shield AC = 29.04 truncated to 29.

290 hStr = 29 if you have a Shield equipped.

So only considering mitigation value:

90 hAgi = 63/66ac = 290 hStr or ~1.4 hAgi = 1ac = ~4.5 hStr
  3. Gonzo Joe Apprentice

And here I used to think THAC0 was complicated.
  4. Mistatk Augur

Heroic agility seems pretty important the way the agility bonus part of AC reads. Also, if heroic strength isn't broken and can add that much shield AC, seems pretty good also. Is that right? I was going mainly for hdex but that seems wrong now.
  5. TheQxx Augur

6. Makavien Augur

If parry and stuff still worked the avoidance would still be more important then the mitigation but they are all still relevant outside of raid bosses.
  7. Edrick Augur

Free race change potions for everybody, courtesy of Dzarn!
  8. Triconix Augur

I'm a hybrid of 1 and 2. I'll tend to look at increasing raw ac on augs, but if it comes at the expense of losing h dex then it has to be major ac upgrade as far as augs go (we're talking 5+ ac). I'f I'm gaining 1ac and losing 8 dex, I wouldn't even consider replacing the h dex aug.

As far as heroics: agility increases the dodge skill, which is lowest on the skill check and goes off the least amount of times (on some higher raid mobs it doesn't go off). I riposte and parry anywhere from 10-30% (roughly) of hits on any mob (including raid mobs) so I'll always be looking to upgrade h dex; It only seems logical to maximize the skill checks that actually works on all raid encounters. It seems even more logical to increase the skills that add up to double to triple the % chance of going off. I theoretically get the most raw increase in defense by doing so.
    Elricvonclief and Kelefane like this.
  9. Tearsin Rain Augur

slightly tooting my own horn here, and the that of the various people within the community over the years that figured all of this out, but we pretty much had it right for the last decade - nothing in dzarn's post contradicts anything from what the community already knew (though of course it does give it more details):
    https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/...y-of-essential-eq-mechanics-knowledge.205390/
    (btw for those of you confused by dzarn's post, this post gives basically the same info but in WAY more simplified terms)

dzarn - if you really want to blow my mind, post how exactly the system calculates AC vs atk to determine your DI multiplier =P

oh also, side bar:
    to all the people over the last few weeks that were arguing and crying at me about saying your displayed AC is meaningless... suck it!
    Mintalie, Sinestra, Zyrek and 4 others like this.
  10. Xikteny Augur

So I think the takeaway from all of that is... tanks should be permadrunk?
    guado likes this.
  11. Tornicade_IV Augur

Im not sure why people are still trying to confine hagi to dodge skill check. its in the base caclulation for everything.
    Also it shows the importance of keeping your item stat caps raised. I wouldnt call the 900 agi to 300 hagi negligble with how easy 900 agi is to acquire from items compared to hagi. and they combine.

Once again though the people who keep trying to confine hagi to dodge. go back and read dzarns formulas again. maybe five or 6 times until it sinks in
  12. Tearsin Rain Augur

when you say 'capped stat' do you mean your actual current Agility (which for me for example is in the 1100 range) or does 'capped stat' mean some hard coded number from EQ's early days?

it was always our understanding that agility did give AC and avoidance benefit but only up to like 225 or 255 or something, at which point the game kept on using the stat for calculating your displayed AC, but it didn't actually use any additional Agility in the combat calculations.

can you confirm whether or not ac/avoidance from Agility is capped?
  13. TheQxx Augur

Can someone make a web engine where you can input your character's various values into fields, click a Go button they get run through Dzarn's Number & Mathstravaganza and it tells you how awesome you are? Please? Someone?

Help me EQResource, you're my only hope.
    Sinestra, Rorce, Fenthen and 4 others like this.
  14. Tearsin Rain Augur

no, because in order to do that we'd need to have a realistic idea of how ATK and AC interact with one another to determine the DI multiplier in a given hit... and we have no idea how that works.

dzarn has given us more expanded info than we had previously on how the system comes up with the number it does for your AC score, but we still have no idea WTH that means in relation to how it impacts your DI roll, other than 'moar iz gud'.
  15. fransisco Augur

It seemed pretty clear he meant agi up to your stat cap. So if after planar agility, your cap was 750 - you would only apply 750, and exclude all the extra agi from gear that was over your stat cap. (and then modify for all the hagi stuff)
    Enkel and Dzarn like this.
  16. sojuu Augur

So I was always under the impression monks were on the knight ac table but cant find this anywhere on these forums because of the forum revamp. However, on monk forums at monkly-business.net I was able to find several posts stating monks were moved to knight ac table. These date as far back as 2007. Were monks moved back off the knight ac table or were they never there to begin with?
  17. Astran Elder

You're misusing terminology here, so it's not simple to answer. There are two AC calculations: Avoidance AC (whether or not you get hit), and Mitigation AC (a variable related to how hard you get hit, if you get hit).

Avoidance AC (what Dzarn calls 'Computed Defense') has a component proportional to current Agi (including hAgi), plus a bonus for hAgi. It's not capped, except in the negative direction.

Mitigation AC has an Agi component that's basically 1/20 of your total agility (as long as your Agi is above 70), and this component is subject to a softcap based on class.
  18. Tearsin Rain Augur

no, i don't feel that i am - there is an avoidance calculation from agi, and there is an ac calculation from agi.
    to my knowledge based on info that's been floating around the community for over a decade, both are hard capped at a fairly low value.
    dzarn gave the formula for both, but the general thrust of his post doesn't specify the hard caps that we thought existed. so i'm wondering if that's an omission, or if our understanding of the caps was wrong.

additionally it's been 'common knowledge' since heroics were introduced that the AC bonus from hstr was not functioning, so an absolute confirmation on that either way would be great.
  19. Tharrg Augur

This would explain Cragon on Xegony....
  20. Astran Elder

AC includes both avoidance and mitigation, that's where you're not being clear. I think you're implying 'mitigation' when you say 'ac' in this sentence, but it would be more clear if you actually said 'mitigation' if that's what you mean.

It seems fairly clear from his post how agility factors into both AC calculations. With such a detailed post, why would you assume he's wrong?
    Tornicade_IV likes this.