A More Accurate Account of Coirnav

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by kamikazeheart, Mar 19, 2018.

1. vylo Augur

You didn't have to. The salt was so concentrated you could turn lake Superior to brine.

Every TLP has been "going to be dead in 1-2 months". Never turned out that way. While there are always exceptions to the rule, generally you don't bet on them without an axe to grind.
  2. Accipiter Old Timer

You should probably quit while you're behind.
  3. Ryak Augur

This is actually fascinating because you can see two different interesting trends. Obviously, the overall numbers are both lowish, but also there are more buyers than sellers.

I would guess that buyers would generally be people trying to "cash in" on the server, although some portion of them will of course be players intending to stay prudently investing in krono while they are cheap.

On the other hand, sellers are investing in the server, so they are much more likely to be planning to stay long term, so that number being much lower is quite interesting.
    HoodenShuklak likes this.
  4. SterlingSilver New Member

Whole lots of hate in the world ... I stopped reading the forums many years ago and yesterday found myself thinking about turning off all the chat channels in-game too ... best advice anyone ever heard about gaming is to shut out the neg voices and find a guild of positive folks ... then have fun and never look back! (oh btw, only reason I'm here is to find that positive guild of folks to spend my time with)
  5. Kahna Augur

Or, maybe after having done this a few times the sellers have realized that selling a krono for plat on days 1-4 is a poor life choice. Better to straight trade it for the goods you may want or just wait a week and get 5 times the plat for your Krono. My buddy was selling potions yesterday and had half a dozen folks offer him krono for pots. Bypassing the plat middleman.

There is no doubt that this server is smaller than Phinny and Angarr, but what I think people are missing is that it's still much larger than any live server was at this time. Is it going to have 20 raiding guilds? Probably not, 10-12 might be a more accurate assessment. That is still 7-8 more raiding guilds than any live server ever had. Coirnav has and will have a healthy enough population to maintain well into the future. Hell, even Lockjaw made it to GoD, and Coir will be healthier that it. It may not be breaking any records, but in my small, anecdotal, perspective it has brought back at least 12 of my friends who stopped playing on Phinny for one reason or another. It's been a blast reconnecting with them all as we enjoy leveling casually this time.

If it doesn't last it doesn't last. The duration I play on the server doesn't diminish the enjoyment I am having now. If almost 20 years of playing MMOs has taught me anything it's that characters are fleeting. You aren't building a stock portfolio here folks. Play them, have fun, when it stops being fun move on, start something new, play more, have fun.

Have fun playing now and stop worrying about what may or may not happen in a few years.
    andross77 and Critt like this.
  6. Accipiter Old Timer

I have autojoin for channels turned off. About the only one I'll use is auction. So much more peaceful.
  7. HoodenShuklak Augur

Not everyone invests in stocks. Some people invest in krono!

Look at all the rmt spam bots and web sites!
  8. Kahna Augur

Sorry, too busy enjoying the game.
  9. Ajjantis Elder

Been having a blast on coirnav. Every zone has multiple instances, we had about 7 unrests yesterday (on eu time!) and it was hard to find a free MR camp. If coirnav gonna be like the other TLP servers i expect a lot of low level action up to luclin. When i started on the other TLP (Luclin era) i still found daily groups in plenty different zones. Its far from dead and i can only suggest you to make your own experience. You will love it.
  10. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Quoting myself here. Coirnav is hitting a full bar each day and holding it throughout the day. It is hitting the full bar earlier in the day than Agnarr is at this time. Both are hitting the full bar each day though. This is good, but for the sake of comparison, compared to the Agnarr launch, it even dropping below a full bar at all this early is surprising. I don't know how the Phinny launch was, and with slower exp at this point in the cycle, did it hold a full bar for days on end? I have to imagine it did, but maybe somebody can elaborate.

Agnarr had a full bar in the very early morning, even on weekdays. It never dropped overnight like Coirnav has been since Tuesday or possibly earlier. I'm honestly surprised, I thought the server would be more popular. When PoP lands on Agnarr I think it's possible the server will hold a full bar for at least a week or so. Only time will tell, but I'll be watching. Even at Luclin's launch it was pretty hot for at least a week.

This isn't to say that Coirnav will or won't be successful, just trying to get a feeling for how the population compares to Agnarr and Phinny at similar points in the cycle.
  11. Stagentti Augur

Phinny was full bar nonstop for a while.

But it also didn't have other similar servers to compete with, was hyped up big time (it's what got my attention and pulled me back in after like 10 years away) and was a fresh idea.

So made sense for it to be full nonstop.

Not sure that helps with the Coirnav comparison though.
  12. jiri_ Augur

The first no-boxing server was a really cool idea, and then the reality that there would be boxing anyway and it wasn't actually going to be that different set in.
  13. Khaliss Augur

Agnarr being locked into PoP is what is totally appealing about it. PoP is the golden era of EQ, and that's why players are sticking it out there!
  14. Accipiter Old Timer

DBG never proposed nor hinted at a no-box server AFAIK.
  15. jeskola pheerie

It sounds like they are both alcoholics. A full bar is a nice backdrop to look at, but I only need beer (Lockjaw).
  16. jiri_ Augur

The admittedly naive idea for a number of us on Phinny was that true-boxing combined with the ban on 3rd party software would prevent 6-character bot armies from swarming the server. That obviously wasn't the case, and the proscriptions against software and unattended gameplay were essentially ignored. One effect of that negligence was the blanket nerfs of all low-level quest XP, which affects Coirnav in particular.

17. Morbid Journeyman

I often come check the forums while waiting for something to respawn. I rather suspect many people do the same.
  18. Trevalon Augur

Glad people are having fun on Coirnav, slow EXP and all, I personally am not a fan of the slower EXP, but I know people who for some masochistic reason are :).

My only gripe with Coirnav is with DBG and the timing of the server. I get that they really wanted to capitalize on the anniversary and all but I just think it was a very poorly thought out and poorly timed server that seems less like a legit server launch and more like a cash crab, for who knows what reasons (The Conspiracy theorist in me says they may be in some money troubles and are trying to just get all they can to justify to Columbus Nova why they should still exist, lol, but again who knows).

Had they let Agnarr finish out PoP and THEN drop a new server I think they would have seen a much larger ROI on Coirnav. But they didn't and so they kinda put Agnarr people in a weird conundrum of do I finish out this server I have invested so much time on but is going to lock, or do I go to the new server and redo everything I just did the last year.

Agnarr seems like its going to be just fine to finish out PoP, but what I am MOST interested in is seeing how Coirnav does during the Kunark/Velious/Luclin Lull's. Every guild knows about these lull periods where people dont play as much and only raid log or just quit playing altogether. What I am most curious is that with it coming out so soon after Agnarr are all those people who play Phinny, then Agnarr, and now Coirnav still going to stick around for those Lulls or are they going to quit playing? Is Coirnav going to be a thriving server or are people going to get bored after doing this 3/4/5 times in such a short time period that they burn out and quit?

I dunno, I think its gonna be interesting. Personally, for the first time ever, I am skipping a TLP server, at least for now. The combination of me still playing Agnarr and the slow EXP just makes Coirnav not a very appealing server and that says something for someone who has played on every TLP server so far.

I may make a character on Coirnav in a year or so when it gets to PoP, but more than likely I'll just wait for the TLP after Coirnav.
    Niskin and Lantherion like this.
  19. Turinbar Augur

I think the TLP servers are hitting diminishing returns. Honestly once Pantheon comes out or WoW classic servers EQ is going to see a precipitous drop in players. I fully expect Columbus Nova to sell the franchise within 2 to 3 years.
  20. Tornicade_IV Augur

I like the idea of a progression server that releases by level cap.

01 The Ruins of Kunark -- March 2000 ------------------- 60
    02 The Scars of Velious -- December 2000
    03 The Shadows of Luclin -- December 2001

04 PoP The Planes of Power -- October 2002 ----------------- 65
    05 LoY The Legacy of Ykesha -- February 2003
    06 LDoN Lost Dungeons of Norrath -- September 2003
    07 GoD Gates of Discord -- February 2004

08 OoW Omens of War -- September 2004 ------------------- 70
    09 DoN Dragons of Norrath -- February 2005
    10 DoD Depths of Darkhollow -- September 2005
    11 PoR Prophecy of Ro -- February 2006

12 TSS The Serpent's Spine -- September 2006 -------------- 75
    13 TBS The Buried Sea -- February 2007

14 SoF Secrets of Faydwer -- November 2007 --------------- 80

15 SoD Seeds of Destruction -- October 2008 ---------------- 85
    16 UF Underfoot -- December 2009

17 HoT House of Thule -- October 2010 ---------------------- 90

18 VoA Veil of Alaris -- November 2011 ----------------------- 95

ROF and COTF at level 100

TDS,TBM, EOK level 105

ROS 110

I think a TSS Expansion mini progression server would be interesting too.

what about a Heroic Server?

the main problem with releasing multiple expansion at once is it would spread out the player base