2024, Make Paladins !

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Ofearl, Mar 1, 2023.

1. Nennius Curmudgeon

All paladins aren't guys. In any case, your jealousy does you no credit young Padawan learner. We have been patient Lo, these many years, but our wrath will be strong and vengeance sure.

Muahahahahahaha

Now, where is that ale? Cool, my new two liter tankard arrived. Fill er up! BURP!

Now what was I thinking about?
  2. Qimble Augur

Too late for any changes to be made. By the time the Beta is up they're in the rush to try and ship an xpac that isn't fundamentally broken. Look at the various bugs brought up during beta last year that went unfixed before launch, some not fixed for an extended period after.

If you want balance issues addressed you'll have to wait a few months and pray they have any spare manpower to work on them sometime after the usual expansion launch hiccups are settled down.
  3. Warpeace Augur

Thats the same answer they give Jan-Dec the last few years. Somehow, it's never the right time to address the Paladin community's concerns.

You can see the cycle just fill in the blanks with random excuses until next year's beta that it can't be done or entertained.

Beta testing
    Expansion launch
    Dev Holiday Vacation time
    3 months of bug fixes
    TLP launch
    add more things until Oct 2024
  4. Qimble Augur

Correct, because they only care about internal sources or F&F when it comes to addressing class issues. Unless you have a dev in your DMs don't expect anything you say to cause changes haha.
  5. Koveras Elder

Another idea I have for Paladins in the case of the Preservation Line is the fact it should also grant the exact amount of Heroic Strength Bonus for the same reason it grants normal Strength Bonus.

For example...

Preservation of Tunare from ranks I, II & III should grant an additional 60 to Heroic Strength Bonus for the same reason it grants a 60 to normal Strength Bonus.

Preservation of Marr, Oseka, and the Iceclad from ranks I, II & III should grant an additional 69 to Heroic Strength Bonus for the same reason it grants a 69 to normal Strength Bonus.

Preservation of Rodcet and the Grotto from ranks I, II & III should grant an additional 70 to Heroic Strength Bonus for the same reason it grants a 70 to normal Strength Bonus.

Preservation of the Basilica and the Fern from ranks I, II & III should grant an additional 85 to Heroic Strength Bonus for the same reason it grants a 85 to normal Strength Bonus.

The same should be true with all the other future Preservation Line of spells afterwords, something I feel that should of been done long ago because it feels rather pointless if we can't further increase our own Strength beyond its current max...
  6. Maedhros High King

I think you aren't putting the proper emphasis on how irrelevant heroic strength or strength buffs of any kind are.
    If you could make a list of 1000 spell design changes that could actually matter and effect some kind of positive change and thus worthy of spell dev time, adding heroic strength to a paladin only buff would probably be in the 990s out of the 1000. I'm sure someone could come up with a less impactful idea though.

No offense intended, its just a near zero relevance.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but if my paladin lands a blow for 500,000 damage, an extra 85 heroic strength would turn that in to 500,085.
    It just might as well be nothing.
  7. Szilent Augur

Maedhros and menown like this.
  8. Szilent Augur

While immeasurably more difficult to quantify, besides the direct increase to hit size hStr also raises Atk 1:1, indirectly via raising Str cap. That shifts the probability of getting a high hit instead of a low hit. While +85 wouldn't be big (for scale, rng str+pred is +1630, bst fero +700, brd WarMarch +1300ish), it's likely to be more impactful than the +hit amount. hStr also has unparseable impact on AC softcap, so that's fun.
    Maedhros likes this.
  9. fransisco Augur

Don't worry, you can always ask for changes in the next expac now :p
  10. fransisco Augur

I wonder if a good way to parse its affect on attack would be to parse druid debuffs. They have alot of attack debuffs. Its a no gear change way to see how much of a difference it makes.
  11. Hiiro New Member

I've parsed it. It's at about 1 mitigation AC per 10 HSTR which makes it 1/2 as beneficial as raw AC.
  12. Szilent Augur

parsed? you mean you've watched the AC number change on your profile while you equip the LDoN type3s? that's not parsing, and is the effect explicitly spelled out by Dzarn in this thread.

Parsing would be aggregating some large sample of combat data to empirically discover an influence on hit distribution. While I don't disbelieve in the heart of the numbers, over in this thread Maym_Cazic had to shift his AC in steps of 1000 to garner meaningful data versus just one enemy. That's what I mean by the effect being unparseable: the defensive impact of gaining AC in this way would take inhumanly large data sets to demonstrate.

1 shield AC per 10 points is 1/3 as beneficial as gaining 10 points of non-shield raw AC for tanks, and only when equipping a shield (so, not at all for warriors). Again, explicitly spelled out in Dzarn's post.
    NatazzEvoli likes this.
  13. Hiiro New Member

Yeah, in that post he says that if you have a shield equipped your heroic str /10 is added to your shield ac.
    Shield ac bypasses soft cap.
    This is a thread about paladin tanks.
  14. fransisco Augur

errm... while both are knights, they aren't really the same. Paladin can be fun, but from a class power standpoint, SK is the most OP class in the game and has been for neigh on 15 years. Paladins are no where near them.
    alanus and Fenthen like this.
  15. Koveras Elder

In Light of Paladins getting the Champion's Oath in an upcoming patch, I got a number of ideas in mind that Paladins also need in the future as mention below...
    1. Because Shadow Knights have the Dark Absorption AA Ability, a Paladin version of this ability called Blight Embrace should also exist, its function description should be: This ability when activated allows your heals to deal 1% damage to your target.
    2. Because the Shadow Knights have the Focused Bite AA Ability, a Paladin version of this ability called Focused Strike should also exist, its function description should be: This passive ability causes the following spell lines and all ranks of your Submissive Strike of Order I (and above in higher ranks) ability will trigger Pristine Strike of Ravage I (and above in higher ranks) which deals 9685 damage (and above in higher ranks) and returns 10% of that damage to you as mana: Denouncement Strike, Reprimand Blade, Ostracize Strike, Admonish Strike, Censure Strike, Remonstrate Strike, (Upbraid Strike for Rank 5 and Chastise Strike for Rank 6).
    3. Because Shadow Knights have the Gift of the Quick Spear AA Ability, a Paladin version of this ability called Gift of the Power Crush should also exist, its function description should be: Gift of the Power Crush, when activated, grants a 100% chance to twincast your Crush of the Crying Seas, Crush of Compunction, Crush of Marr, Crush of Repentance, Crush of Oseka, Crush of Tides, Crush of the Iceclad, Crush of Tarew, Crush of the Darkened Sea, Crush of Povar, Crush of Timorous Deep, Crush of E'Ci, Crush of Grotto and Crush of Restless Ice, this will also reduce the recast time of these spells by 16 seconds for 0:03:00. (Rank II should also include Crush of the Twilight Sea and Crush of the Umbra and Rank III should include Crush of the Wayunder & Crush of the Heroic respectfully)
    4. Because Shadow Knights have the Scourge Skin AA Ability, a Paladin version of this ability called Guardian Soul should also exist, its function description should be: Guardian Soul I (and above in higher ranks), when active, grants you a defensive proc ability that deals 450 points of damage (and above in higher ranks) for up to 100 hits for 0:03:00. Ranks 2, 3 and 4 should reduce the reuse base cast time of this ability by 10%, 25% and 50% respectfully.
    5. Because Shadow Knights have the T`Vyl's Resolve AA Ability, a Paladin version of this ability called Vie's Boldness should also exist, its function description should be: Vie's Boldness (insert rank here) when activated, strikes your target with three 400 (and above in further ranks) point base damage 2H Slashing, Blunting & Piercing skill attacks and applies Vie's Boldness Weakness which increases the damage the target takes from melee attacks by 16% (and above in further ranks) for 0:01:00. (Rank 2 and above should also mention Reduces the reuse time of this ability by 1 minute)
    6. Because Shadow Knights have the Unbridled Strike of Fear AA Ability, a Paladin version of this ability called Disciplined Strike of Valor should also exist, its function description should be: This ability, when activated, pushes your target backwards and deals 1 point of damage. Additional ranks after the first should reduce the reuse time of this ability by 5 seconds.
    7. Because Shadow Knights have the Veil of Darkness AA Ability, a Paladin version of this ability called Repulsion of Blightness should also exist, its function description should be: Repulsion of Blightness I (and above in higher ranks), when activated, instantly increases your target's hatred for you by 30,000 points (and above in further ranks up to 9 at 125th level) then reduces their accuracy by 75% for 0:00:12 (and higher in further ranks up to a current max of 0:00:54). Rank 3 should reduce the reuse time of this ability by 1 minute.
    8. Because Shadow Knights have the Vicious Bite of Chaos AA Ability, a Paladin version of this ability called Submissive Strike of Order should also exist, its function description should be: Submissive Strike of Order, when activated, deals 600 damage (and above in higher ranks) to your target and blesses all group members with Submissive Strike of Order Recourse I (and above in higher ranks) which heals 600 health and 260 mana (Rank VII and above restores 100 endurance and above, Rank IX will reduce the base cast time by 50%.
    9. Because Shadow Knights have the Voice of Thule AA Ability, a Paladin version of this ability called Challenge of Marr should also exist, its function description should be: This ability, when activated, increases the amount of hatred generated from your target's attacks and spells by 15% (20% and 25% at ranks 2 and 3 respectfully) for 10 minutes.
    I will point out that all the spells ranging from Denouncement and all the way up to Chastise need to be a spell line of its own with the word Blade after it as I mentioned above in the number of suggestions I brought up in this post. Furthermore, if all those spells from said line do get the name Blade after it (or something similar) then I also have this idea in mind as seen below...
    • Improved Denouncement Strike: This passive ability increases the base damage and healing of your Strike line of spells by 2% (and above in higher ranks) and reduces the reuse time of these spells by 0.5 seconds This focus applies to the following spells: Denouncement Strike, Reprimand Blade, Ostracize Strike, Admonish Strike, Censure Strike, Remonstrate Strike, Upbraid Strike and Chastise Strike.
    And since nothing else has been done with the Protective Spell Line, I have this AA Ability in mind as seen below...
    • Improved Protective: This passive ability increases the base healing of your Protective line of spells by 2% (and above in higher ranks) and reduces the reuse timer of these spells by 0.5 seconds. This focus applies to the following spells: Protective Confession, Protective Devotion, Protective Dedication, Protective Allegiance, Protective Proclamation, Protective Devotion, Protective Consecration, Protective Revelation and Protective Acceptance.
    I have to admit, this took me awhile to get figured out after researching the Shadow Knight's AA Abilities and figuring out what versions the Paladin should have.
  16. Koveras Elder

My apologies for the mishaps, the word was suppose to be Bright and not Blight as I have mistyped the r with an l... Its unfortunate I can't edit the post in this case...
  17. WeCameWeConquered Elder

Can we do it the other way around too? :rolleyes:

Just... staph.
  18. Galvanize Journeyman

19. Darkhain Elder

No we don't need Paladin's version of the SK's one, we need something different. And what we need is first to fix all what we have.
    Champion's Oath is the prime example of a crapp version of the SK one (even with the nerf coming).
  20. Klucifer Lorekeeper

I am on the fence about Champion's Oath -- I don't see the usability in it as I do other skills, and the feedback i've seen shows that it's quite useless. I also don't see the need to make a paladin version of the tools a SK has. I would; however, like to see paladins have a bolstered, separate repertoire. Paladins are the neglected class, we need some additional and unique tools!
    Ozon and Syylke_EMarr like this.