2 new TLPs announced for 20th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Elbereth, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Jontrann Augur

Agreed. The casual server will definitely have slower unlocks.
  2. Ruination Elder

I can't wait for all the plat farmers to leave Corinav, most of the server can go too all I need is my guild tbh
  3. code-zero Augur

Maybe Hardcore means unlimited boxing. I really can't think of much that's more hardcore than the 40+ armies that swept through RF early on
  4. Elite_raider Augur

Ultra Casual:

3 month unlocks (so it does not take for ever to catch up to live)
    Mercs from day 1
    Mercs in raid zones
    FV loot rules
    PoK and Bazaar from day 1

I would move my family in and we would probably play there most weekends. We won't have enough time to kit out our self's in raid gear before the next expansion, but at least we will be able to experience some raids as casual players thx to mercs :D And also, thx to FV loot rules I can just throw some Kronos at that problem to kit us out or to get that rare drop that the RNG god's didn't drop for us :p , and the hard core raiders can get their free subs and DBG get's their extra revenue :D
  5. Jontrann Augur

It's probably more in line with a p99 type server, slow exp, corpse runs, etc.
  6. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

I don't think corpse runs are something they can do server by server.
  7. Rotlust Augur

Why do so many anticipate hardcore not having truebox code? That doesn't make sense. Truebox saved tlps.
  8. jeskola pheerie

- Mercs in raid zones would be an extensive coding issue that would probably affect live. Won't happen.
    - Mercs from day one would require SOD from day one, or else other servers without mercs from day one would get them. Won't happen unless server begins at SOD.
    - bazaar and pok from day one would require the server to begin in luclin or POP respectively. Won't happen.
  9. jeskola pheerie

AOCs saved TLPs, not truebox.
    Chatoyan, Moranis, Starr and 3 others like this.
  10. taliefer Augur

everyone is going to have a different definition of hardcore. to me all these TLPs have been casual friendly, because almost no effort or time is needed to get to the top level.

a server with longer unlocks, and MUCH slower leveling than we have seen is more true to the original eq timeframe and feeling. leveling was an accomplishment because it took time. you cant really have that on a server with short unlocks. and i do think the two should be correlated.

basically i do feel there is an element of time spent grinding = hardcore in regards to everquest. EQ was never an actually difficult game, it just required time commitments. i'd like to see one server with that in mind. i realize the gaming community has progressed past this, and rightly so for the most part.

edit: meant to quote jeskola's response, but oh well, what i get for rushing to post at the end of a workday~
  11. Rile Lorekeeper

It won't, most of those people are trolls and don't actually care about a new TLP. There is already a new thread about a 3rd TLP they should release with these other 2.

Its a game for them, they don't actually give a **** about TLPs.. they just like to troll
    andross77 likes this.
  12. Rotlust Augur

I disagree, though it surely helped, Non truebox servers are infuriating at every level of play, and was the chief complaint by nearly every non mega boxer.
    Rile and andross77 like this.
  13. TLP Addict Augur

I heard that on the casual server you won't be able to kill Nagafen.
    Ryak, Xyroff-cazic. and Dythan like this.
  14. jeskola pheerie

Today's hardcore players and guilds have zero interest in extra-long unlocks. They AOC/open world raid, split raid, max mains and alts with BIS gear and want to quickly move on before they get bored.
    snailish and Jontrann like this.
  15. Imdead Augur

Agreeing/emphasizing.
  16. Rile Lorekeeper

There is nothing casual about that.... having to take like 500 actual play hours just to get to max level is the opposite of casual

The "Ultra-Casual" server definitely peaks my interest, but I think its foolish to announce servers coming without any details other than "casual" and "hardcore". If they haven;t even thought of the configuration settings on these new servers, or rule sets yet, thats a bit scary...tI don't want to see them feel rushed because they announced a release date in March and just throw some crap at the wall that we're stuck with

They should have ironed out all of the details of a new TLP by now, other than maybe a few minor things they were still on the fence about.. but the guts of the rulesets should have already been long thought out, if they haven't done that then releasing these is a mistake.. delay it a month or two until they get it figured out and can do it right

Unless the ultra-casual server has really fast experience rates, I won't even make a level 1 on there to check it out. I have no interest in a hardcore mode of EQ, the game by its old design is already hardcore enough for anyone who has a full time job and any semblance of a life
    andross77 likes this.
  17. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Ultra casual

200% Xp
    1 month unlocks
    As each xpac opens, all characters on the server are given the last xpacs max level, AA, and raid gear.

This way, your always gonna be caught up, even if you only play 20 min a month.
    andross77 likes this.
  18. jack of all trades Elder

As another user already posted, AoC saved TLPs. Not Truebox. If they would have simply added AoCs to Ragefire/Lockjaw and fixed the ridiculous epic bottlenecks people have complained about the last 5 years, then those two servers likely would've held the dominant place over Phinny. There is absolutely NO reason to remain Truebox when everyone can have their own personal instances for raids. Will there still be obnoxious bottlenecks? Of course. But I also guarantee you'll have a population hitherto unheard of. Not to mention the outright annoyances it brings to users that are limited in play, and would rather play 2-3 characters on their own actually gaining experience or an epic drop than to login for their limited 2-3 hour play session and be forced to spend that entire time LFG.

Realistically, it's simple.
    1) Lower pick thresholds to a reasonable number per zone. None of this 60 people nonsense for level 20 zones.
    2) Fix Epic-Bottlenecks: Specifically Enchanter Wraith/Vessel/Verina spawns, Wizard Broken Golem spawn, and SK Marl Kastrane spawns.
    3) Done.
  19. Thash Zoner

I'm not sure if two servers are needed because of the size of the expected player base, but the only reason one server couldn't be finagled to "pretty much" please everyone might be Truebox.

Was it ever suggested that non-truebox is even an option at this point? As much as I and many others despise it, I'd be surprised.
  20. HoodenShuklak Augur

When I think casual, I think no time-pressure. 1 month unlocks really put the player into a mode where they need to play daily to see content. But the flip side is... a long unlock has been done and the community pretty much didn't prefer it.