19th Anniversary requires RoS.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Funk, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

I think it should be pointed out that an old expansion is unlocked for free every year, even if you never buy the new one. So while you need RoS to do the 19th Anniversary content, eventually that content will be granted to you for free. If you want to do it now you'll have to pony up. It may not be how they have done it in the past but it's not unreasonable.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  2. Tornicade_IV Augur

who isn't paying for a sub.
    The op has ros and has a sub.
    who are you talking to. the previous 3 out of 4 posters don't have ROS but have paid subscriptions.
  3. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

YOu will eventually be able to get the aug once the expansion becomes free to all.
  4. Triconix Augur

Since when is DBG obligated to create anniversary content? Where does it say this anniversary content is tied to the subscription? I'll clue you in: They aren't obligated and the subscription never paid for it. They could go tell you to kick rocks for all they care. The subscription pays for upkeep of servers, updates to the game, patches, support, content development, miscellaneous expenses, etc etc. They are in no way or form obligated to deliver anniversary or HH content.

It's the 19th year of EQ and with the 19th year of EQ we had the 19th expansion. It's pretty logical why it's required. As a bonus for those who bought the 19th expansion, they rewarded it's customers with 19th anniversary content. For all those who only have the 18 previous expansions, they have 18 years of anniversary stuff to do. When people who bought the latest expansion, they were not paying for this service. It was a bonus. Therefore, it's free, extra content for us.

Why is this so difficult to understand and why is this such a problem?[/quote]
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  5. Dreadmore Augur

I'm a bit of an autistic robot so excuse me if I'm reading between the lines incorrectly, but those who are arguing against this decision are of the opinion (this is what threw me off--these are subjective arguments, not objective) that since historically anniversary content has not been tied to a owning an expansion, it should not have been so this time either.
  6. Millianna Augur

What is the point? No ones going run out and buy the expansion because this years anniversary isn’t included. This move is equivalent to throwing salt in te eyes of paying customers - that’s the problem.
  7. Triconix Augur

Because DBG decided to reward those who have paid for all content rather than just most? They don't owe anybody anything. You don't want to own the 19th expansion? Don't complain about the possible perks and extra bonuses that can come with it as a surprise.

Some people paid over $100 on the expansion for just 1 char and then paid X amount of dollars for their remaining boxes. We got a rather low amount of content so this sorta balances it out a bit.
  8. Prathun Developer

The 19th anniversary content will no longer require owning Ring of Scale. This has been changed internally.
  9. ShadowMan Augur

Any chance of getting the Extruded Black Pearl and Lost Wayfarer's Tent usable by level 70 toons? Not sure what the point of making these missions scale to 70 is when the augment requires level 75 and the tent requires 110.
  10. Dreadmore Augur

Naaaaah my dude, I can't answer that, but maybe you were being rhetorical. I have trouble enough as it is understanding people's points here much less trying to guess at a business decision made behind closed doors :)
  11. Barton The Mischievous

Nicely done, Thanks
  12. Gnomeland Augur

Even though the developers have already resolved this issue, for which they should be commended, I still have to respond to these.

The issue is not and has never been "pay for the content you wish to have access to," because anniversary events were not advertised as expansion content. Show me the in the expansion box where it says "provides access to this year's anniversary event" or where in the game store you can purchase access to the anniversary event? Anniversaries aren't even tied to years of paid subscription, like veteran rewards. They were introduced and advertised as part of the monthly content updates the game promised, and even though this content update policy might have changed since the days of Sony Online Entertainment, the fact remains that it was in poor taste to suddenly require an expansion purchase to celebrate Everquest's anniversary.

You can argue that businesses only care about money and no one would disagree with the principle of it, but in practice, there's an image to maintain. Customers are more likely to support businesses that they think are fair and generous, over business that try to pinch the last penny. This is why Electronic Arts suffered such a huge negative reaction for its loot box idea, and even stock losses. Reputation matters, and being generous and attentive to customers goes a long way in keeping them around, especially in a 19 years old game. It's like you guys don't understand this concept and just think that a business would be smart to squeeze its customers repeatedly until they get enough of it and leave.
    Tornicade_IV likes this.
  13. Triconix Augur

Yep, EA's stock rising 25% over the last year is really showing how much loot boxes hurt their company. I don't think people understand the concept that game companies don't have to appease the masses. They just have to appease those who have the most money. A person spending $100.00 on expansion + yearly subscription is worth more than 2 normal people paying for just the subscription. If a person has boxes then the weight of that 1 person is even more than the people solely paying for subs. DBG only has to appease a minority of the customers to make the same, if not more, money.

Anniversary content is a reward to players and customers for being loyal. I would have had no issue with having the latest anniversary content requiring the latest game's expansion. There are 18 years of anniversary content for those who paid 18 years worth of content.
  14. Gialana Augur

I understand what you're trying to say, but I want to make a small correction to avoid confusion for someone reading this thread later on.

I've seen a few comments in this thread state that the 19th anniversary quest require access to the 19th expansion, and this is not true. At the time of this post, they require access to the 24th expansion, Ring of Scale. The 19th expansion is Rain of Fear, which everyone has access to (on non-TLP servers, at least).
  15. enclee Augur

As a side note, I couldn't imagine having 6 month expansion cycles brought back.
    Gialana likes this.
  16. Tornicade_IV Augur

I really don't get this attitude.

Anniversary content is a yearly celebration of the game where quest are put into the game to experience a bit of nostalgia.

There has never been any anniversary content that was tied into owning the latest expansion which isn't even released in conjunction with Expansions. outside of content that involved a specific expansion. (which is reasonable)

Everquest has multiple streams of revenue tied into the game. Expansions, subscriptions, DB store.

requiring an expansion to participate in content not involving that expansion at all is in poor taste.

apparently the devs agreed whether it was a mistake or they just changed their minds.

the whole idea of my money is more important than your is silly.

now if the 25th expansion comes out and says purchase this for exclusive anniversary content. that would be a selling point

also not everyone who has purchased the current ROS expansion have bought all 24 expansions .

Heck FTP itself was an anniversary launch.

Piestro back in 2011 noted in his anniversary letter that they had noticed a void in content during the spring and summer which saw an expansion on anniversary content. not for the expansion cycle but to keep people busy outside of the expansion cycle.

You also have the progression servers.

people expect non expansion related content because that is what the anniversary events have come to represent.

including zone revamps and the previously mentioned progression servers.

They wouldn't make the progression servers if it wasn't making them money and those don't rely on expansion revenue at all.

You know what did fail... a premium server I think it was called Stormhammer.
  17. Ninelder Augur

Last year they did hardcore heritage Seb. I had multiple old friends log in AND re-sub just for that. Unfortunately, I don't think any of them stayed that long. I know that Daybreak got some sub money out of it. I do not know if any of them actually bought up new expansions, but at least a few said they thought the new stuff was "small" or "not worth the money."

Even though none of my friends stayed very long, they at least came back to check things out. Hearing about HH-Seb was enough to get them to re-DL the game and come check things out. That's why I think the anniversary stuff should be for everyone. Not that DSK is actually nostalgic, 90pct of the playerbase didn't see it when it was current. But the Mistmoor LDON sure is!
  18. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Quit debating it. Prathun already said it was being changed. LOL
  19. Febb Augur

Oh don't worry. People will be asking for this to be patched right away and will moan anyways. There is always something to be angry about on the internet and torches and pitchforks are in demand!
  20. Smokezz The Bane Crew

WTS: Ultra Pitchforks. 4 Krono. Ultra Torches 5 Krono. Quick Quick Quick! Soon it'll be Multiball Madness!