19th Anniversary requires RoS.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Funk, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Gnomeland Augur

How in the world is this content free when the game is still works on a subscription based service, or at the minimum, a pay to win system?

I would agree with not complaining when you're not paying but in this case, paying customers are being excluded for simply not buying the expansion.
    Funk likes this.
  2. Warpeace Augur

So you skipped right past needing to buy RoS to participate this year? Well done. So whats your argument?
  3. Gnomeland Augur

What are players paying a monthly subscription for? Not for the continuous update to the game? Since when did the new content they are obligated to provide players as part of the subscription model, become tied to the expansion business model? Which other game of this kind subsidizes its expansions through advertising "free" content updates that actually require expansion purchase? One could argue that an expansion purchase should guarantee a player access to all new content in that expansion; but this is not a content update for an expansion, but an every year content update that has never been tied to expansions until now.

Is this what they're going to be doing going forward? Moving all the continuous content updates they used to do for just subscribing, to an expansion subsidy? Then what are players paying a subscription for? Don't tell me to maintain servers because other games do that for free. So what's the subscription for?
    Feznik, Tornicade_IV and Funk like this.
  4. Warpeace Augur

Nothing is free anymore unless your totally FTP.

Not going to forum quest with you. Go find where Daybreak already said you need RoS to participate in the 19th tasks.

AKA they want to make $$$
  5. Gnomeland Augur

Nobody denies that they want to make money but they can't, on one hand, tell paying subscribers that their money is going into continuous updates to the game, and then on the other hand, tell paying subscribers that they need to buy the expansion in order to use those updates.

There are many people who have not purchased the expansion for various reasons. Is the company telling them that their subscription money is being used to subsidize other people's content...?

This has always been the problem with using subscription money for expansion development. But while such practices can be excused, to a degree, as long as subscribers continue to receive a significant amount of content updates, it cannot be used to justify not giving subscribers anything unless they buy expansions.

Again, what's the subscription service in this game for? What are you getting out of it, outside of maintaining servers?

They should be more direct about this or else they will lose more and more subscribers until the game closes.
    Funk likes this.
  6. Dreadmore Augur

Is that what the subscription fees are for? Continuous updates?

All I could find was at https://www.daybreakgames.com/allaccess, but it doesn't really say what that money is used for. It just states what we get from it:

• 10% off unlimited marketplace purchases*
    • 500 Daybreak Cash Reward to claim each month
    • Special membership promotions and offers throughout the year
    • Access to 1000's of Alternate Advancement Abilities
    • Additional 6 character slots ($60 Value)
    • Full Access to all spell ranks
    • Maximum amount of Loyalty Rewards
    • Full access to Mercenary Tiers
    • Full access to in-game broker
    • All housing and guilds halls allowed
    • Access to Progression Servers
    • Unlimited Chat channel access
    • Full Guild Functionality
    • Preferred Status with Customer Service
    DruidCT likes this.
  7. Gnomeland Augur

Thanks for reminding me of why this game's free to play service was a disaster. But it doesn't change the argument. What I said above about continuous updates was the initial reason industry wide for maintaining subscription based services, not just in games but in software services in general. You pay a monthly cost for developers to continue developing the game. Otherwise, what are you paying for?

Everquest has certainly advertised the same before, ie: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...director-of-development-dave-georgeson.207242, but over the years, the return on subscription has continuously decreased. With expansion purchases, you know what you're getting, so the cost and benefit analysis is obvious. But how is it fair to subscribers that their service has become the equivalent of not as artificially limited as free to play?

Creating an artificially limited free to play service, and then charging long time subscribers just for not being so limited, is basically taking without giving. It's no wonder that so many people have decided the game no longer holds much value and have moved on - it's exactly as said above: financially squeezing your customers causes them to fight back, in the form of canceling accounts. Not providing value to people's money will turn them to services that do. You might gain a temporary benefit - more likely not, since I doubt anyone will buy an expansion just for anniversary events - but ultimately subsidizing expansions with subscription money will cause people to question the value of the $15 they pay every month. They'll ask, and with every cause: what am I getting out of my money? $120 every year is a lot to pay for a game, considering it's the commercial equivalent of purchasing two major titles with three to four year development cycles. Why shouldn't they expect more?
    Funk likes this.
  8. Xoner Baby Joesph Sayer

I'm going to make this as simple for you as I can, since it seems you're struggling to grasp what your options are, given your current role.

A) Pay whatever the stated price is for the content you wish to have access to

B) Don't pay whatever the stated price is for the content you wish to have access to

You don't typically see a guy at the McDonalds cash register ranting about prices of cheeseburgers, regardless of how long he's been a "loyal paying customer." That's because it's a weird thing to do. Quit being weird.

Once you pay for a product, it's no longer your business where that money goes, because it's not your money anymore. Partake in a transaction and consume the product or don't.
  9. Warpeace Augur

Like the Quote from 2014, that was still SOE right? I'm sure it MUST still be valid.
  10. Funk Augur

Please just stay off the thread, you do not provide anything constructive, only silly analogies.

Bottom line. A paying customer with a gold account who happens to be say level 90 should not be required to buy the new 106-110 expansion to do some silly anniversary events.They are paying customers...with all expansions up to where they are at in the game. The missions scale to your level, so it's 100% not intended for just 106-110 players who own RoS. Therefore should not be directly tied to owning RoS. Not every paying customer plays in the latest expansion.
    Is that clear enough?
  11. Xoner Baby Joesph Sayer

All very lovely opinions. Good for you.

The product still is what it is. Purchase and consume it, or don't. Hard to dumb it down any further than that.

Sorry that I can't be more constructive by being whiny on the forums about what *I* think the product should be. I purchased the product. I used the product. I didn't throw crybaby tantrums on the forums about the product.

Good luck in your revolution, forum freedom fighter.
  12. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Sadly if your all access but do not have ROS you got nothing at all this anniversary.
    Funk likes this.
  13. Funk Augur

Again you must have missed I own RoS. So no way to whine about something I don't have because I do own all expansions. But I'm not trying to win you over, it's obvious by your history you are a white knight yourself.

If you keep replying I'll keep responding though.

Here is another example maybe you can wrap your head around.
    Player A (my friend) - Gold Account, level 100, has bought all previous expansions and spent thousands in store over the years. Has been able to enjoy anniversary every year....till now.

Player B - Gold Account, level 110, has RoS, has spent X dollars in the store.

Is player B a more valued customer than player A? No
    Both Gold, both paying customers.
    This thread is bringing this simple fact to light.
  14. Millianna Augur

Is requiring RoS for the 19th anniversary event going cause people to buy RoS? There is an obvious answer to that question. Then, what’s the point if all this?
    Funk likes this.
  15. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

This is starting to remind me of the eviction thread... A legitimate issue is brought to light, yet people are constantly bashing it like their opinion is the only one that matters. Yes it's DBG's game and they can do as they like. But as others have pointed out, this is the opposite of what has been done the past 15 or so years. It seems perfectly reasonable for something that has been included with out a purchase requirement all those years and now all of the sudden requires one, is brought to light. I think this was a poor decision, and like the OP said it only hurts their reputation.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare, Funk and Yinla like this.
  16. Tornicade_IV Augur

I do not get the logic here.
    How is the 19th anniversary events tied to the ROS Expansion ? but if I paid for the expansions that the quest actually take place in ?
    How am I a freeloader with an active paid yearly subscription?
    If any of the task were even remotely ROS expansion related that would be a different thing but they aren't.

How is requiring ROs to do a DODH scaled mission anything but an indication that ROS expansion decided not to offer any content for anyone under max level and apparently didn't make their target in sales.

personally I am not buying ROS. there is no reason for me to. I have purchased an expansion within the last 6 months and see no reason to purchase another at this point.
    If you go into the EOK store you can buy the EOK expansion. log into the game and be greeted by anniversary celebration task you cant do because of an artificial limitation with no rhyme or reason other than to purchase another expansion you literally have no use for.

Its amazing to me I have dropped 200 bucks in this game in the last 6 months and come to this thread and told that since I didn't purchase ROS I am not helping to support the game. so therefore am not worthy to do a mission given in pok that occurs in DODH

the bottom line is that EQ content for all access is not free . its paid for subscription content
    I don't believe any of these rewards are prestige. so is someone who drops 30 bucks for an expansion with a f2p subscription really more valued over the guy who pays 17 bucks for an expansion and pays a year subscription up front?

people who by those premium editions get exclusive items for that expansion they aren't paying for exclusive content other than whats offered for the basic purchase price of the expansion.
    if they were it would be a featured advertisement point on the premium collection

I don't feel forced to buy ROS because of these anniversary task. I'm just not going to buy it because I still have 3 expansions to work through. ROs didn't offer any feature improvements to make it a must have expansion. ROS progression also made sure that EOK progression is required so once again not point buying the ROS expansion until I have completed previously released content that I do own.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Funk like this.
  17. Moege Augur

Extruded Black Pearl : Prestige
    Lost Wayfarer's Tent: Not Prestige
    Deep Caverns Collector's Case: Not Prestige also kind of useless, giving up a general bagslot for collections only.
    The Bone Rod : Not Prestige and really only interesting for the 7% fishing mod

For my box accounts I looked at RoS and did not like the expansion, so did not buy it, this anniversary requirement has not made me change my mind either. If the next expansion is worthwhile then I will get it and do the anniversary quests next year.
  18. Vdidar Augur

That’s debatable at this point. It’s going to be fun to see how deep the suspensions go this time.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  19. Vdidar Augur

If you aren’t willing to pay for the sub then why even complain?
  20. enclee Augur

Personally, I think it was a poor choice to make it require RoS without announcing it with the rest of the anniversary stuff.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Funk like this.