2024, Make Paladins !

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Ofearl, Mar 1, 2023.

1. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

The fact an SK isn't reliant on it as much as a paladin for snap aggro in the first 3-10 seconds of an encounter?
  2. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

If parlay is resisted twice you've lost out on almost 100k aggro + the opportunity cost lost from using that instead of another spell and incurring global cool down.

SKs do ae aggro better. they always have. Never going to change. Our ae aggro is either "long" (in terms of grabbing aggro on stuff) recast in the 90-300 second range or witness hate which is unreliable and definitely seems to be more of a bonus/gravy than something to rise up on the hate list, even with valiant.

Make parlay unresistable would be very welcome, or give it a hate override.Do the same for SKs, I don't care, I'm worried about paladins.

If an SK or warrior in my guild wants to take a mob from me they will. But that's fine. I am really only aggravated by two things:

1) Even blowing everything an SK or warrior can "accidentally" get initial/hold aggro for a few seconds, and when you have an event with 8-15 adds spawning at once, that can get them killed, so I want better snap aggro for single target or reliable (if everything lands we have no problem grabbing quick and keeping)

2) We still have situations (like a burning beastlord clicking their bp) where you can just see dps rising up on you when you have solid single target aggro and are keeping things on cool down, that shouldn't be a thing, and asking people to hold back isn't a thing. Now, that's on us some too, paladins in general are usually bad about putting marr's on dps, but we should.
    Maedhros likes this.
  3. Wulfhere Augur

Neither is a paladin (due to resists). I lead with FoD or Timer 5 crush or force (it mez breaks are an issue).

Then Audacity (which lands unless it's like Zelni adds) and then Parlay reliably lands after. Yes it costs a spell gem to make Parlay reliable. I believe it's by design.

Basically Audacity (which has hate override) leads Parlay ftw.
  4. Warpeace Augur

That just reemphasizes the need for Audacity to be instant cast next expansion.
    Allayna, Petalonyx and alanus like this.
  5. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Using a 9k hate cast in order to get a bigger hate cast to land after is not a good way to grab aggro in the first 3-4 seconds.

The warriors and knights in my guild don't wait around like that.

I typically hit hit FoD/Dicho/Divinecall/one to three of the ae ae aggro aa/Parlay since you can get all 7 off within 3 seconds and while moving (the ae ones have to wait until not moving though or facing mob so situational), its 50/50 if you keep aggro if mobs are in a pile if parlay is resisted (how hard others are going probably). If parlay lands you don't lose aggro at all though.

If there is the time/freedom to start with a super low aggro spell like audacity, then there isn't an issue with aggro in the first place.
    fransisco likes this.
  6. Wulfhere Augur

We agree. I did say I don't lead with Audacity right?

Grabbing raid adds is like you said. Start with instant cast spells (and clickies). Sure try a (futile) Parlay in there too but when it's resisted follow up with Audacity next.

Audacity + Parlay is a lot more reliable. I would like to see an instant cast combo spell for them and get that spell gem back though.
    Tanlie, Petalonyx and Lubianx like this.
  7. Warpeace Augur

Alt BP clicks, not necessarily to replace the current one and prefer on a different timer so we have options.

Examples of modern versions that might be handy

Ordained Firesoul Plate Breastplate and its Virtuous Fervor
    Vitallium Lifedefender Breastplate and its Glikigup"s Redemption
    Wulfhere likes this.
  8. Allayna Augur

Audacity and Parlay should be combined into one ability. Stating again given the above convo.
    Best case scenario is to combine the hate and hate over time abilities from them both with the MR debuff into one instacast ability with AAs.
    Possibly make it into an AA that cost mana and casts the highest ranks of both spells.
    Or at the very least, add a combo spell that casts both, audacity first, then Parlay.
  9. E'ci - Knight Errant Lorekeeper

Respectfully, I am going to correct you.
    No, SK did not always do AE aggro better. They have only done so since it was introduced to them.
    This wasn't a day one 'vision' item.
    Wulfhere likes this.
  10. Wulfhere Augur

Indeed, paladins have always had beneficial witness hate from (primarily) combat heals, starting with Minor Heal at level 6 (originally level 9). The first SK AE spell is Wave of Enfeeblement, now at level 27 (originally level 30).

Still within classic, the SK also has Word of Spirit at level 45. I believe that very few SK would memorize either or both of WoF and WoS in that era, but they are available for AE hate. Meanwhile a paladin is often casting a heal that generates more witness hate then either of those spells.
    Kleitus_Xegony likes this.
  11. Koveras Elder

For the Blessed Aura spell, indeed, plus if the Paladin ever gets any upgrades to it, the only thing I can think of is said upgraded versions that can also improve magic damage in addition to heals for the whole party.

A 3rd Crush spell for certain, the only other thing that I can think of that comes to mind adding a Focus AA ability to the Paladin's first detrimental spell which is Flame of Light. If a Focus AA version of Flame of Light where to exist, I am certain it'll do a TON of damage.

If the Penumbral line of Paladin Spells where to work for group heals would be another boon. Another idea I also have in mind is to have the Blessing of Life AA ability to be revisited so it'll proc not only heals for the whole party (which includes the Paladin oneself) but also proc detrimental damage in the very same way the Priest Classes wield weapons that proc Arms/Hands of Holy Wrath line of procs. Perhaps also have it so that a revisited Blessing of Life AA would also proc a Sympathetic version of said group heal and determental damage whenever a Paladin cast's a determental spell.

The one other thing I can suggest is a Focus AA for Silent Piety where every rank makes it last far longer, this way we won't have to press the Divine Protector's Unity button once every hour.

Then the Steel Line of Paladin spells, what really also needs to happen is that they should have them deal damage for just as much as they heal the Paladin up to 10 times or until its duration frame of 1 minute (or more if the character has ranks in Spell Casting Reinforcement) runs out whichever happens first. I mean why not make a Focus AA for said line of Paladin spells that allows them to deal just as much damage to the Paladin's target as much as self heals? I would go for it.

If the Flash of Light spell gets a Focus AA (I'm certain this will go for Beastlords, Clerics and Shamans since they also get it) for this where to exist, it should further decrease the opponent's attack then -5 points.

Then a Conjuring Spell for Paladins that can create a limited use clickie (which functions in a similar way as the Magician's Summoned: Voidfrost Paradox would) that allows the Paladin to summon a sword that will attack the target up to a limited number of times. I mean considering the fact that Paladins never got summoning weapon upgrades beyond Hammer of Striking, shouldn't they got something else to replace that in the first place years ago? I feel like its one of those things that really should be addressed about.

The Paladin's Preservation Line of spells, a Focus AA for this should exist that actually allows it to deal a defensive detrimental damage proc that dose just as much as it heals the Paladin for.

The Divine Favor Paladin Spell, have an Focus AA for that so each rank allows it to absorb far more then just 150 points of damage, I would be surprised if we get an updated version to this spell.

The Sense The Dead spell. If a Focus AA for this where to exist, it should also bring up the golden path one of the undead creatures the Paladin will take notice of within the area (Clerics, Necromancers & Shadowknights will also be able to do the exact same thing).

The Paladin's Thunder of Karana spell. If a Focus AA of this one where to exist, it should transform it into a mana damage over time. Maybe even transform it into a actual damage over time spell as well (I am well aware that an AA version of Thunder of Karana exists for Paladins, which improves spell damage).

Then the Spook The Dead spell. If a Focus AA of this one where to exist, it should affect undead of greater levels beyond 52nd. Plus an undead has a chance to cower in awe where they will stand in one place (Fear Effects should show a greater variety then just letting encounters run away but that's another story for another day).

Unless anymore ideas come up, that's all I can think of for now.
  12. Dilquan Augur

Sooooo.... Paladin is one of the very few classes I've never played. Are they basically a SK but are the "good guys"? Worth giving them a try now?

Thank you in advance.
  13. Szilent Augur

Paladins aren't the good guys in EverQuest.
    fransisco, Tanlie, Dre. and 1 other person like this.
  14. Shakara Augur

Paladins are religious zealots who want to oppress anyone with different ideologies. SKs are selfish narcissist who want to cause as much pain and suffering as possible to boost their ego.
    fransisco, Tanlie, Skuz and 1 other person like this.
  15. Allayna Augur

From the character creation screen:

"Shadowknights are unholy warriors who use fear, pain and disease to attack all that is good in the world. Shadowknights are primarily a melee class, able to wear plate armor and wield many kinds of weapons.

Shadowknights are deadly opponents who use evil spells to slow and cripple their enemies. They steal the strength and life from their victims, using this stolen power to strengthen themselves and their allies. When needed, shadowknights use their powerful harm touch ability to greatly damage their opponents.

Shadowknights can feign the appearance of death, fooling enemies into ignoring them. Combined with spells that degrade an enemy's ability to fight, a shadowknight becomes a fearsome foe.

Shadowknights can use their dark powers to adventure solo for a time. The shadowknight's lethal abilities are best used, however, with the support of a larger group. Players who like offensive melee fights but want a variety of ways to inflict harm on their opponents will enjoy playing a shadowkinght."

"Paladins are holy warriors who use blessed spells and strength of arms to fight the evil and undead of Norrath. Paladins are primarily a melee class, able to wear plate armor and wield many kinds of weapons.

Paladins are able fighters and battlefield healers whose combat spells focus on stunning enemies and smiting undead. They also have several spells that increase the health and armor of their allies. Every so often, paladins can lay hands on themselves or their friends to instantly grant a powerful heal.

Paladins are the greatest force against undead. At higher levels they gain special abilities to smite these foes. Paladins also gain a limited ability to resurrect their fallen friends with lessened penalties for death.

Paladins can sometimes work alone, healing themselves with magic, but in a group a paladin really shines, going head to head with his enemies and occasionally falling back to heal. Players who like to engage in melee fights but want the options spells provide will find paladins a great class to play."

Interesting descriptions for those two classes.
    TheForager and Nennius like this.
  16. Nennius Curmudgeon

This reminds me of something else. Darn memory issues.
  17. Warpeace Augur

Take your pill and a keg of Ale, it might come back to you.
  18. fransisco Augur

Sk? Pal? We're all murder hobos at the end of the day.
  19. Warpeace Augur

So, anyone going to organize and attempt to present this to the Dev team now that Beta is live?
  20. Brickhaus Augur

Sounds like we have a winner!

(you)