Relaxed truebox - if you're against it... why?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Rapala, Feb 3, 2023.

1. Rapala Journeyman

The single most important thing to me on the next TLP is having relaxed truebox (im also all for free trade/random loot). Why are people against relaxed truebox? Say 3 max? Do you really think people who want to circumvent this aren't already?

My ability to spend time finding groups, committing to them for a reasonable amount of time without afking often, and finding a replacement has dwindled greatly over the years. AFAIK relaxed trubox is one of the few, often suggested but never implemented elements of a new TLP.

I hate cluttering my desk with an old crappy laptop that is used for nothing in life other than boxing my cleric. Especially when I have a PC capable of running 100s of eqclients (not advocating for that).
    Ragnoruk likes this.
  2. Name2 Augur

It's currently possible to functionally relaxed truebox on a single PC in any era. The only requirement is owning 3 PCs capable of running EQ. I can load up Parsec or other remote desktop software on two PCs, connect to them on my main PC, and functionally be 3 boxing on a single PC. This obviously can scale beyond 3 computers. Truebox isn't serving a real purpose beyond driving up PC sales and energy bills.

Because Daybreak is able to limit the number of client connections per PC, they should absolutely do away with truebox and use this functionality to limit boxing in a way that's more equitable among all players regardless of desk space or PC budget. It's always been a bad fix for the massive boxing that we saw on magefire, and hasn't stopped people from running multiple groups of characters, whether that be legitimately or illegitimately. I agree that truebox should be relaxed from the start on these servers, and other methods to limit or remove mass boxing be explored.
    Ragnoruk and Rapala like this.
  3. Faydra Augur

I'm not sure I've heard anyone actually be opposed to relaxed truebox other than those that just don't like boxing period.

I'm personally ready to chuck these extra laptops out the window at this point, I'm so over it but want to play more than one toon, even if it's only two that's fine.
    Ragnoruk likes this.
  4. Jedis Arch Mage

While it may be possible, this is something that will get your accounts suspended. I wouldn't advocate this here, as it's sharing info to circumvent the server ruleset.
  5. Name2 Augur

There's a risk for sure, just like there's a risk for running maps or parsers or whatever else. In my experience and from anecdotal evidence, this hasn't led to suspensions. Remote desktop software lets you access one pc from another. It doesn't modify EQ in any way. It's not a VM. It's functionally the same thing as multiplicity to share a keyboard and mouse between multiple computers on adjacent monitors.
  6. Jedis Arch Mage

There is no risk with parsers -- but point taken. Parsers read from the eqlog file and that's fair game to access. I have heard of folks getting suspended for using Parsec, but who knows if they were using other things as well. Just best to truebox and call it a day.
  7. Zansobar Augur

Making it easier to box just increases the number of boxers. I do not want more boxers.
    Zrender likes this.
  8. Appren Gnomercy

Hater's gonna hate I guess :(
  9. Neuro Elder

People are going to box regardless. I suspect every new server going forward will be relaxed truebox.
  10. Captain Video Augur

I can absolutely guarantee you won't see relaxed truebox on the next TLP at launch. Yelinak doesn't have it unlocked yet, and it was last year's model TLP. The team is on record as opposing any relaxation of the truebox mechanic prior to OoW; it was all veteran players could do to get them to agree to the upcoming test on Yelinak at that point. It is hoped that a successful result on Yelinak will get them to agree to retroactively apply the relaxed truebox rule to the older TLPs sometime later in the year, but that's the best possible scenario I see here, and even that is not a done deal.

By now I think everyone recognizes how player demand on a TLP is at its peak from Classic-PoP, and then there is a noticeable drop-off. If the rest of the ruleset is popular, demand can trigger queueing at launch and for a while after, and potential players are lost due to frustration because of that. Queueing and AFK logouts due to demand are unavoidable because server capacity is fixed. (The last several TLPs have been run with a login ceiling of 4000 characters.) The problem with indiscriminate boxing at launch, which many players overlook, is that all those extra boxed toons are taking slots away from other live human players. It's bad for business that way; even with the current system, the company gets complaints. Boxing can't be eliminated, but it can be reduced by making it a lot of extra work to do. That's the strategy, for better or for worse. By the time PoP has come and gone, the need to restrict for that reason no longer applies.

I believe the majority view among veteran players is that OoW is the right time to switch to a relaxed truebox approach. I am guardedly optimistic we will see a shift in team thinking on this point following the Yelinak test. All the noise being made demanding unrestricted boxing in Classic isn't helping the cause, IMHO. Any player who wants to do that badly enough can do it right now, no rules being broken, on any Live server.
    Zrender likes this.
  11. Basak Augur

I will three box, with relaxed truebox
    or
    I will three box, with three computers

That being said, I will three box. They are both just as easy to do, one doesn't provide easier access to boxing than the other with the exception of additional hardware needed to multibox with truebox.
  12. zurgar Journeyman

Regardless if it truebox or relaxed truebox it won't make a difference to the Kronos farmers out there they will still have armies. I think you just need to allow people to play as many as they want and stop complaining about it. With picks in normal zones and with AoC it makes absolutely no reason to limit boxing other then appease people that are going to complain about something regardless on these forms soon as the server opens anyways.
    Ragnoruk and Xianzu_Monk_Tunare like this.
  13. Feelics New Member

Relaxed True Box was also on Vaniki. So it has already been tested since they have been past OoW for some time now. So it could still be part of the new TLP, however I do not believe they will have it is a classic start. Then again alot of people are talking they want a later start then classic. We won't know for sure for a few months.
  14. FranktheBank Augur

15. Crabman Augur

Additional hardware is literally the thing people dont want to deal with and the biggest reason people ask for this... EQ tlps are the only place it is the norm to have 3 computers at your desk...
    Ragnoruk likes this.
  16. MMOer Augur

I would rather no boxes at all. Reason, I play the game to group exp, group raid, chill, and socialize. Not min max with boxes. Party of six is six players. Not 1 or 2 or 3.

With that said, if they do allow boxes I'd rather allow 2 boxes on Innaspace software than allow 2 true box.

I think using True box as the limiter is bonk and they only do it as they can machine ID your accounts as an easy way of policing it.

1 > 2 > 3 > 4 box servers

But lets face it.. they don't have the staff to police even true box well.

Just make it no box, make other accounts IP restricted, with that and machine ID, its much easier to police.

Also, I would not play on a server that allow more than two boxes. Even two boxes would give me pause UNLESS I could use IS and felt like boxing, which I dont. Been there, its lame. Powerful, great for krono farming, but lame AF.
    Efr3 and Zrender like this.
  17. Ragnoruk Augur

I agree with you. Most of the time, I prefer playing just one character. There are times though where I want to do something that nobody else wants to do or when LFG takes a while & it's nice having a 2nd character to be able to do things. I would always drop the box for another player.

Every EQ server has had people boxing more than 2, even Aradune.
  18. Arclyte Augur

Having a boxing or relaxed boxing server release alongside a traditional truebox server is the answer,

I don't want to rehash my opinions. I just want to play one character, and I don't want to feel obligated to box. If people like doing that, cool. There seems to be enough people to justify a second server.
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

IP restrictions are not that hard to get around for those that want to box on a server and it prevents people living together from playing as a group and following the rules.
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Didn't they do that already with Aradune and Rizlona and boxers still played on the limited server?