Why did Bind Rush wake the sleeper?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Garner, Jun 30, 2022.

1. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And that is exactly what hurt the population levels in the past as there are many players who don't like to be able to progress because someone else is blocking them. There is a reason that EQ switched over to instanced raiding instead of open world and that now even the original raids are instanced.
    Aenoan likes this.
  2. Shemak Journeyman

Yes listening to players whinning is why modern EQ and mmorpg are bad and im playing a TLP of a 20 years old game. Plenty of content for people that want instanced, drama free game. TLP already made enough concession with no corpse run and DZ etc, i dont want even TLP to transofrm into modern crap, tyvm.
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Being able to deny other players a chance to experience content and progress makes for a very bad game and there is a reason that almost no other game does that and EQ went away from it.
  4. Rounlin Best Pizza in Norrath!

Highly doubt you are in Resurgence lol

5. Aenoan Augur

That is already the case. When they saw how WoW was winning the race, they started slowly trying to adapt systems and utilize them in EQ, like all the changes to combat and how it became more active. It failed because there wasn't enough manpower to implement it effectively.

No one wants to play OG Everquest anymore. Even on p99, they basically had kunark and velious chambered and ready to go.

But more importantly, no one wants to play a classic EQ-style game. No one has time or wants to spend that kind of time. New Worlds is a prime example. Looking at probably the thousands of hours of YouTube videos for evidence. Even Vanguard folded from the pressure, not to mention the game was just left in a lackluster state.
  6. Runes Augur

5 TLPs have gone by and sleeper has been wakened in first week, Yelinak is not the cash cow server for gear so no one is going to care if Sleeper is wakened fast and the change gear starts dropping, we all used to not having Sleeper up long. I think it was going back to Coirnav that guilds actually worked out keeping Sleeper asleep for months. Event doesn't even trigger right so waking Sleeper is just meh, so knock yourselves out as there really isnt anything to see, not even an accomplishment anymore.
  7. Oberan Elder

As long as people keep waking the sleeper the Server First and Only kill of Kerafyrm on the Rallos Zek server record will stand alone.. I do find it funny that those who claim to rush in the spirit of fast progression just end up robbing their servers of an attempt to break a meaningful record later on.

Note that the killing of kerafyrm was recognized by SOE as a legitimate kill with a gamewide announcment announcing our victories (yes I said victories because I consider the attempt where the GMs despawned him at 25 percent a win in my eyes)
    Diminisher and Rajaah like this.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You mean when NPC regen was bugged and not working as intended?
  9. Stymie Pendragon

I come here for the game discussion, but the bad analogies really brighten my day. :)
  10. Rajaah Elder

What grinds my gears is these people who say "20 year old game" in a sentence. Usually something along the lines of "who cares about X in a 20 year old game".

Five years ago it was "who cares about X in a 15 year old game". Nearly always posted by people who aren't actually accomplishing something that other people are accomplishing, so they're trying to minimize it. The "I didn't want that anyway" character quirk.

We're all playing it, or posting about it, so we all care about it. We'll probably still be occasionally touting our W's in the game when it's 30 years old.
    Diminisher likes this.
  11. Diminisher New Member

Not sure why you bothered to reply with this comment. SoE recognized it as a legitimate kill so whether it was working as intended or not does it matter?
    Rajaah likes this.
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Because it is the truth? The fact that it was recognized or not doesn't matter if it was only possible because NPC regen was bugged and was not regening anywhere near what it should have been.
  13. Diminisher New Member

My point is your comment wasn't necessary you just seem to like to argue about pedantic things. I still don't understand your reason behind it maybe you think it diminishes the value of killing the sleeper. Your whole because it's the truth reason I'm not really buying it. I think most can figure out the real reason you decided to make that comment kinda sad.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

When the claim of being the only server to kill the server got added it was important to note how it got beat on that server. There is a big difference between beating a mob with the regen it is intended to have and beating it without it. As for the claim the comment was not needed the same can be said about the fact that one server managed to kill a bugged mob wasn't really needed in this thread.

I didn't add it to take away from the kill as it was still an impressive amount of work but just to clarify what all was in play when they did it.
  15. Diminisher New Member

I agree with that it wasn't needed to be said either. It came across as you were trying to take away from the kill but after you clarified I can understand the reason for your comment. Although I am certain most knew about the regen and didn't care because it was still an extremely challenging win.
  16. Oberan Elder

Considering it was on the tune of 3 or more years after the kill before this post by a dev decided to claim it was bugged (and was the only source of the information, not to mention the post doesn't exist anymore).

It's also pretty well known that SoE panicked when the Sleeper was being killed (as shown by them despawning the first one and claiming it was attacking another mob far away in the zone (which it wasn't)). I don't remember seeing any patch message that said "mob regen fixed" or "Kerafyrm's regen fixed" in any patch after the kill. I have always taken everything SoE says regarding their side of the story with a grain of salt. Especially since the next expansion after the one where this dev said that was was SoF which had Kerafyrm as a raid.
    Diminisher likes this.
  17. Rajaah Elder

I wouldn't take anything away from the kill, regardless of what his regen was at that moment. Even if his regen had been higher, I assume they would have still beaten him, it just would have taken longer. The whole thing was an attrition war.

Also it took a lot of strategy to get 200 people working together to take him down at a time when he was by far the strongest mob in the game. I'd love to see that happen again on another server, at some point, but I think it'd be almost impossible nowadays to get an entire server to leave the zone alone until level 70 or 75 or whatever point the Sleeper is killable at.
    Diminisher likes this.
  18. Ztaab New Member

do we win something?