Why did Bind Rush wake the sleeper?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Garner, Jun 30, 2022.

1. Xhartor Augur

I don't play on Vaniki... Sorry if you didn't realize that.

I won't argue it's a jerk move, but if you are guild trying to push content on that server, there is merit to waking him up.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Others would argue that the races don't really matter for determining who is the top guild on a server. All of the content is known and isn't very difficult at this point in time. Which is considered a better guild, one that started earlier but took longer to complete the content (finished first because of the start time) or a guild that started later and took less time to complete the content. There are several ways you can measure who is the top guild and being the first to clear the content might not be the best.
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I would disagree about that and there just seems to be a lot of excuses trying to justify awakening the sleeper and changing the zone. I have no problems with it happening but I find all the excuses trying to justify it and say it helps the server annoying. If you wake the server just live with how people feel about your actions and if you don't like it don't wake the sleeper.
    Wyre Wintermute likes this.
  4. Aenoan Augur

I did not think people still cared about racing or Sleeper's Tomb. It has always been a lousy dungeon design. However, I thought it was interesting because I was in that scene as a raider. I was convinced devs should have done it again in other MMOs when I left EQ after OOW.

Racing and server firsts on a TLP feels a bit of a cry for help, or maybe it would be more accurate to say a mid-life gaming crisis that the same group of people (that I recognize from the posted video) doesn't seem able to get over.

But honestly, other than a few obvious toys. The next tier replaces everything. I mean, Vulak has far more valuable items. Primals get scrapped as soon as you attack cap anyway.

I think this is the reason why the Rallos Zek server is so special. We're never going to have that kind of team work on a TLP. Player would rather troll. That's all this was, trolling really.
  5. jeskola pheerie

That changes nothing as far as the argument “The loot should simply always be acquirable” goes.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I would disagree, some are items that got pulled because the devs decided they are broken and unbalanced while others are items that stop dropping because players decide to do an event that changes the zone and stops them from dropping. Personally I think the items that got removed from the game by the devs for various reasons should never drop on the TLP servers in the first place. When it comes to the sleeper you have people awakening him rapidly which limits how many people have a chance to experience that content which can be annoying for players that miss out.
  7. Julliette New Member

That's my favourite excuse :)
  8. ZapanEQ New Member

Sleeper drama tickles me every server. Mischief proved SoD’s actually suck at anything other than a novelty item or twink item. The proc’s pushback makes it terrible for warriors cornering at raids and the DPS is below average.

There was some good juicy drama on the Mischief push. It’s a lot of fun to be down there alone without anyone. Just takes some focus.

9. WenLambo? New Member

I am in Resurgence and we have never won a real race to WR. We have won DPS races where we started first and they came in afterwards (Cazic Thule was up for 6+ hours, we started it and WR came in at 90% and we won. We also won the horse boss in sky on a DPS race when they came in at 85%) We lost a djinn to DPS when we both started at the same time and won't DPS race them on dragons as the leaders feel it's bad feelings since we would lose.

We don't batphone but check targets and kill OW stuff during the day when it's up. We owned sky for a while until WR started taking the bosses and we have given up mostly on that now. Hopefully we will be more aggressive in Kunark with Veeshan's Peak and not just sit in our DZ's like we have done but we still wipe on Vox, so I'm not hopeful.
  10. Garner New Member

The Server Has Spoken!
  11. Canemanjones New Member

THIS person describing these actions is the bulk of the "competition" on the server. A prime time DZ zerg who still admits to wiping on Vox vs people who have no history or knowledge of running an OW target guild. This is their Rocky vs Apollo fight in their minds when in reality its like two kids in the Special Olympics trying to do Greco Roman wrestling on an ice staking rink.
  12. Yuno New Member

How on earth did a thread about Bind Rush on Vaniki waking the sleeper turn into a debate about guilds on Yelinak? Grats Bind Rush, I'd love to read more riveting philosophical debate on how some of the other inhabitants of Vaniki feel like they were owed pre-woke sleeper farm time.

*Edit: Oops, but not 3 days, 3 days wasn't ample according to someone up above*
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It isn't that it is or isn't ample time but the claims that no one was interested and it was done for the good of the server as a way to try and justify the action.
  14. Imdead Augur

The sleeper was made to be woken, this is the way.
  15. FranktheBank Augur

Yes it is. 3 days is an eternity for a TLP guild to make plans. Unlike a lot of live guilds that have charters the length of the Constitution, heres how a TLP guild would decide -

An officer/leader asks officer chat "@everyone BR is waking the sleeper in 3 days, do we care to get 1.0 loot or keep on doing what we do?"

or an officer/leader asks the guild "@everyone BR is waking the sleeper in 3 days, do you care about 1.0 loot or want to keep doing our thing?" and they react to the post and/or message with feedback.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Still sounds like more excuses as to why they woke the sleeper, first it was that no one showed interest in a whole 3 days and next it was that it increased the ability to farm avatar procing weapons that would quickly become obsolete. I wonder what the next excuse will be for waking the sleeper. Sure there is a difference in how long an expansion matters on a TLP server versus a Live server but that isn't a justification to deprive everyone on the server a chance to experience that content.

Personally I have no problems with them waking the server as that is what they wanted to do. The issue is the varying excuses as to why it is better for the server for the sleeper to be woken and the drops to be removed from the loot pool. If you are going to rush to wake the sleeper just say you woke it and move on, don't try to justify that you did it to help everyone.
    Wyre Wintermute and Julliette like this.
  17. Ranari Journeyman

Easy fix:

-First time awakening, the Sleeper does his usual routine and kills all of Velious
    -Each progressive time, the Ancients remain, but with combined Warder/Ancient loot tables
    -When The Sleeper is awakened each progressive time, he is a perma-rooted super-hard raid mob. This would be a PoP-like raid encounter that's super intense, but short.
    -Upon beating the Sleeper, he drops a chest with top quality 100hp/100mana quality loot and exclaims he was only toying with you, and "proceeds to go do his usual thing," but doesn't.

So with that, we have:
    1) Adhered to the prime directive of maintaining EverQuest lore
    2) Added new content and loot for people to enjoy
    3) Provided a "Sure-Fire Solution" to the 21-year old waking-teh-sleeper problem

Please feel free to hire me, lulz!
    Aenoan likes this.
  18. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

This was a fun read. See you all next year! Same bat time, same bat station?
    Imdead likes this.
  19. Xhartor Augur

I think you mean 3 months, when Velious unlocks on Yelinak.
    Timmyboi likes this.
  20. WenLambo? New Member

The way Yelinak has gone so far, I don't think any guild here will be rushing to even get to Sleepers and if he is awoken by a merc group, they wouldn't care as it makes farming weapons so much easier.

There are no cutting edge "get 24 keys in 2-3 day and go to ST" guilds here.