Ideas for compensation

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Benito, May 27, 2020.

1. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That sounds like a great way to lose your best employees by penalizing them for something they are not responsible for.
    Andarriel, code-zero, Xyphen and 3 others like this.
  2. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

It should not break to begin with and no one should of went any where until it was certain it would not fail. If the company knew they were going to be doing something significant they should of made everyone aware when they could take leave with very few exceptions.

I also took what the other person said with a grain of salt anyway. The only job I know that would go to that extreme and they WOULD, is the military. Although I have no doubt that there are companies either with high turn overs with the employees being over worked and under paid or they are paid so well they do what they can to stay in the good graces of their employer.
  3. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Clueless. Positively clueless.

I am convinced you post simply to stir the pot and nothing more.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Celephane like this.
  4. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Yet...here you are.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  5. dreadlord Augur

???
    I'm not telling *anyone* what they should not care about
    I am saying what *I* care about
    (and disagreeing with people who tell me I have no right to care about it - hence my analogy)
  6. Celephane Augur

I am convince you are absolutely correct
  7. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

LOL. Your whole post is nonsense. The following points started out in order but don't think they ended up that way.

1)I do not push whatever the man wants. I disagree with daybreak a lot of the time. Just do a little work and you can find many posts where I disagree with them. But yes you would be accurate that EVER time folks act out due to a little downtime that I think they are being foolish.

2) actually my posts are quite logical they just do not agree with your world view.

3) I pay good money to play EQ and no I will not shut up. It is really really funny that those with your attitude think only THEY should be able to speak. It is completely insane that you feel you should be allowed to express your views with no one else being able to express theirs.

4) Of course any time there is downtime folks have a right to be unhappy or as you say "displeased". But not stark raving mad about it and attacking anyone who disagrees with them. Not simply disagreeing but attacking them. Of course there is a lot of tough talk when folks can hide behind their computer.

5) Going against the flow? Narcissist? I want to see it burn? LOL OMG you are a real nutbar. And I have news for you I am not the only one saying all this.

6) You are comparing downtime to rioting and looting? You lost a few days of game time and this is what you compare it to? Who is the narcissist?

7) So you say I am defending daybreak because I want the game to continue and because I have some lifetime subs (and no they where never intended to be one per person no idea where you got that from. They were simply available to anyone who wanted one). Well since I have paid in advance for stuff you would think that I would be more pissed off if I thought daybreak was screwing with me. You would think I would be pissed if I thought they were ripping me off. Being reasonable I don't think that.

You say I defend them because I want the game to keep going so you seem to be saying because of the downtime you want the game shut down. Thats a bit insane and narcissistic brah.

8) No my memory isnt that bad and no I don't think the game has been down one year out of 20. Thats actually one twentieth of the time the game has been running. That would be five days out of every one hundred the game has been going. You probably could get more then 5 days out of the last one hundred days I can agree with that much. To be honest if I was going take a guess MAYBE half a month out of the 21 year if you include scheduled down times.

9) They why so pissed argument is accurate though. That is what I have been saying I don't think there is any reason to be "so pissed". I mean I have been saying quite a bit that some of you are seriously overreacting.

10) oh the whole I am trying to get on Daybreaks good side is foolish. Maybe that is how you operate.I have complained about a lot of things they have done. And guess what sometimes folks disagree with me. But I never tell them they can't talk or they should shut up. Key narcissistic trait when you think only YOUR opinion counts and I suspect you are so up on the term because it gets discussed frequently during your therapy sessions. :)

11) your final statement makes no sense to me so not sure what you are talking about.

12) sorry missed this one. I have no trust funds, I was the first person in my family to go to university. I earned my way to where I am today. Again you go on about how I am supposed to have spent all sorts of money on the game. Not 20k but you are probably right. So I would also probably be more likely to be upset about downtime considering my investment? Again you follow no logic and make no sense.

And again with the nacrissism. YOUR money is hard earned but mine must have been given to me? Dude go back to therary.

P.S. unlike you I would never tell you to shut up or that you don't have a right to complain. You do have that right but I also have the right to disagree and give my own viewpoint. Sorry, I forgot I am supposed to be a narcissist. :)

P.P.S you really seem to have a hate on for me. Personally you have never really come up on my radar or if you did I have forgotten completely about you.
  8. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Whatever your business is I think the comparison is probably not a good one. While I have personally gone in to work when off on vacation due to an issue I would in no way whatsoever expect anyone working for me to do the same thing or anyone else working at the company to do so. But it all depends on the sort of business we are comparing to an online game. Without giving details on your business and what it does no one can judge the veracity of your claim or whether it supports your point. Just saying.
    Xyphen likes this.
  9. Xyphen Maximum Augur

Your business sucks and (if it's yours) you're a terrible business leader. If that's the conditions in which you operate, then you are either on the brink of bankruptcy, you are very bad at planning and/or you're a sociopath.

As annoying as not being able to access my video game for a couple hours is, I definitely wouldn't want someone to cancel their honeymoon to fix it.
    code-zero likes this.
  10. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I think you have a complete right to care about whatever you want. Honestly believe that.

I may not think you should be so upset but I have no right to tell you that you can't be. My opinion is some folks in this thread are way more upset then they should be but that is different then me telling them they are not allowed to be upset.

I see these threads as some folks voicing their outrage and others saying its not that big of a deal. Both sides have equal rights to their opinions. Both sides have equal rights to express their opinions. Some are going past the realm of bad analogies though into ranting and attacking those that disagree with them(not you).
  11. dreadlord Augur

Not my business. Large multinational. Guess work expectations very different UK/USA?
  12. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I don't know I live in Canada. :) Large multinational I think you may be losing on your point. Bob in receiving is missing 20 bucks on his pay check so Laura in payroll has to come back from her honeymoon? No. Just no.

Now to be fair maybe you are talking about a key role or problem. So large multinational are you saying any problem in any area of the company should require folks to come back from vacation or do you have a more specific example? If its the first I feel you are unreasonable. But to be fair you might have a particular example in mind.
  13. cadres Augur

Happens across all kinds of industries; communications; internet; telephony etc. Do you think that if Facebook falls over, they wait until everyone comes in the next day to start working on it? That there won't be a huge post mortem? That they won't answer to the media re what went wrong?

14. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

That's why they schedule teams in overlaps and have on-call available. Ops, crisis-coordinators, and scheduling time off with limitations are all strategies to ensure appropriate resources are still available to keep the wheels on the bus. I know of not a single, reputable company that would "cancel all leave" until a problem was solved. There may be key positions or resource teams that are on-call 24/7, but those positions are usually back-filled or other resources shifted to cover.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Xyphen like this.
  15. Xyphen Maximum Augur

I work at an prominent and large global financial firm and we'd never enact those kind of policies on anyone, anywhere. Regardless if it's a trader, portfolio manager or the dude that fixes the printer. And our industry is notorious for having the poorest work-life balance out there.

You are aware that Facebook, like any other company eligible of making headlines, has offices around the globe right? In addition to never having a "next day", they have so many levels of infrastructure and contingency that "falling over" isn't even a thing. You make it sound as if it's possible for the world's Internet to go offline because someone tripped over the power cord.
  16. dreadlord Augur

Strange, because I know of many companies that would do just that - every bank in the country, for starters. Pretty much every PR company and PR offices within companies - the list goes on

But isn't this all rather OT?

It boils down to a bunch of people thinking that x or y should not have happened and that customers should not have to just eat it when things go wrong. You obviously disagree.
    I don't understand folk who don't mind paying for something they don't get - and don't believe they would not kick off to hell and back if it happened in a different context.
    I think we can agree we should never work together...
  17. dreadlord Augur

Really? So if that company's website went down and all transactions stopped until it was fixed, your staff would keep the same schedule/hours as normal? (assuming that is done in-house)

I suggest you look at downdetector which will tell you that at various points in time people in various locations have indeed had problems accessing Facebook. It's not a company whose internal mechanisms I am overly familiar with - but I do follow their PR work and they respond quickly and talk about teams and numbers dealing with whatever in some detail
  18. Xyphen Maximum Augur

Our website does not sit in the same world as our revenue-generating products. We're an institutional investor -- you wouldn't go to <my-employer>.com to investment $2 billion in real estate. The rest of the transactions are on the NYSE which isn't notorious for going offline (intentionally withholding a "crash" pun).

My specific team has 75 employees. More or less equally divided between NYC, India, London, LA and Japan. There is never anyone not available during normal business hours.

Downdetector has also said my neighbor's Internet went offline when mine was fine. Something is always down somewhere, and the greater the volume the higher the likelihood. Servers constantly go up, down and sideways -- that's why they're designed to reboot and manage themselves for the most part. I even doubt someone at DBG is always manually resetting servers when they crash.
  19. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Waiting on this thread to be locked where's Dreamweaver at?

Andarriel
  20. Natal Augur

I think a week of forced gnome form, but only if you have petitioned about the down time and demanded compensation.