Charm is too strong

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Barthorn, May 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. auto21 Elder

Plenty of balance/changes have happened over the years that fixed exploits or griefing. Not just technical issue eg. MoTM, swarming pets, item duping, dots, charm named etc. This particular mechanic is legit but "could" be classed as an exploit. I was personally getting about 5aa per pull approx every 12 mins for 2 mins of spamming ae stun. I have also observed other people automate it.
  2. Machen New Member

This is not an exploit nor does it require griefing. It can be done without having to pull over other groups. In fact some raids are designed specifically around pbae stunning/nuking massive amounts of mobs, and couldn't be completed without it. You can hardly claim the whole tactic is just an exploit when devs design content around it.
  3. Sikkun Augur

Normal raid schedule is 12 hours a week that for the first month always is closer 16-18 hours. With 2-3 FFA raids easily filling another 8-16 hours of the week. Easily have seen this fielded with multiple splits for over a year and a half on Mangler week after week.

And that’s before you start adding in all the hours outside of raid time the same people are playing.
  4. Machen New Member

If you have your entire guild roster turning out for 16 hours of FFA raids on top of 18 hours of guild raids every week, on top of leveling/aaxping/farming group stuff , all I can say is God bless you. Sounds like a pretty boring group to be a part of.
  5. Sikkun Augur

Never said the entire roster...but I said the population would be fine. Getting rid of AOE PL would not magically make most players quit the game because they are “too busy”.
  6. Chuuk Augur

Charm is definitely OP - my experience suggests it's basically 2x a monk (pre epic) and about 1.5x an epic monk - but it's not just the DPS, it's the fact that it's steady and requires little upkeep.

The issue is, the risk/reward of charming is just too unbalanced. The reward is amazing and the risk is minimal - largely due to increased player knowledge. Most of the proposed "fixes" would probably just open the door to other problems - my personal quick and dirty favorite solution is just playing around with the spell data - increasing mana cost and/or capping charm duration.

I would be in favor of a solution that turns charm into a situational DPS tool instead of Perma_OP_DPS - aligning more with bard charm.

I don't pretend to know the best way to do this - but limiting charms to 1min or so duration seems to be heading in the right direction. Keeping the spell cost at 400mana (for enchanters) would make permanently keeping a pet unsustainable, but still situationally useful from a damage/mana perspective. Other charm classes would probably need their charm cost increased - 220 mana for a druid L53 charm seems low, for instance.

Basically, it would let the ENC still be a decent DPS powerhouse without being an unstoppable mob vaporizer.
  7. auto21 Elder

I personally don't think they intended people to farm that much exp so fast using this legit mechanic.
  8. Accipiter Old Timer

Correct. Charm is very strong, maybe even OP, and I don't think it should be changed.
    auto21 and yerm like this.
  9. Accipiter Old Timer

Mostly agree. Some will be there camping the shrink wand.
  10. Accipiter Old Timer

There's nothing stopping people from doing this. Instead of one human you, in theory, need two, maybe three. It will still be there on Aradune.
  11. Accipiter Old Timer

Gah, I should have read ahead.
  12. yerm Augur

There are three reasons to go to the deep without pbaoe: lucid shard, shrink wand, and ferocity. The ae groups leave the shards rotting and speed that up, the kox camp is in an isolated position that is easy to move into while avoiding ae groups which would have to drop everything if they wanted to contest it (or train and GMs DO ban for trains), and ferocity drops from dudes no ae group ever touches unless they want to horribly die.

There is nothing in the deep that would benefit a non-ae group by removing pbaoe stuns. You can usually loot a full set of shards on your way to camp the wand, then sit in that crevice and avoid any drama until you get your 33 cloaks and 1 wand, and then go kill the yellow cons to your heart's content.
  13. Pleasantvalley Journeyman

They need to start banning the automated AE cheaters in The Deep and other similar zones. Also start watching the people who run 30-40+ characters and sell Loot Rights for $ all day long in global chat.

Stuns definitely need nerfed to a 6 mob limit too.
  14. Gnothappening Augur

I can't believe you want them to ban the aoe groups but watch the 40+ boxers.
  15. Pleasantvalley Journeyman

I'm asking for them to be observed by an invisible GM for lengths of time which is beyond easy and real customer service they should ethically be doing. Whether an AE is legit or not is up for debate, but it's clear as day the guy(s) running 30-40+ are the most suspicious around.
  16. Pawtato Augur

Bad take, very bad take. You're not very pleasant.
  17. Gnothappening Augur

Ah, it came across to me as you were just suspicious of the 40 mans but thought the aoe groups were the heart of the problem. You also missed the 15 instances of sirens grotto. lol.
  18. Pleasantvalley Journeyman

It's all good, I didn't miss anything I've been helping send in footage for many many TLPs. Some servers they've helped, some they haven't. Still, the guys running a bogus automated 30-40+ and a handful of automated AE cheaters need extra purposeful attention. They owe it to the 5,000+ subscribers they still have.
  19. wade_watts Augur

The clarity line needs to be reduced also as it's super game breaking in the first few expansions. Casters already do plenty of DPS and the last thing they need is more mana. I get not wanting to remove it entirely but can we at least bring it down quite a bit.. maybe cut the regen rate in half of perhaps make it a 3 minute buff to make it more of a pain to use?
  20. wade_watts Augur

We should also remove slows and haste from enchanters. They are totally OP in the current format and we need to dial it back. Melee damage and player power is already WAY higher than it was in original early expansions, and now we are going to haste it to make it even stronger? Totally OP and the group game is totally centered around melees being hasted right now.

Plus.. slows? What, you trying to make the enchanters a viable group member or something? Come on dude. The mobs already stand no chance with all the player changes over the years.. giving chanters slow basically makes the mobs do reverse damage. I've once seen a mob so slowed that he was attacking at a negative rate and healed the entire raid. Totally OP and ruins immersion.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.