Charm is too strong

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Barthorn, May 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barthorn Elder

I think charm is too strong. I think either making charmed pets do less damage, or change resist checks on charm so it's MUCH more dangerous. discuss
  2. Zansobar Augur

I would be for a significant dps reduction effect as a consequence of the charm spells. To avoid exploitation of this to lower mobs hp via charming and then capture full credit, recently charmed mobs should not be worth xp until they have regen-ed to full hp OR the xp should scale to the amount of damage the players do after the mob loses charm as a percentage of its total hp. I doubt they ever do anything to charm but yes it's the single most overpowered thing in the game right now and everyone knows it.
    Ruiner and Barthorn like this.
  3. Ruiner Elder

I agree. It's definitely too much reward for too little risk and it's making grouping in lvl 40+ dungeons rather trivial at this point. Obviously mage pets and monk fists were re-balanced many times over the years so it stands to reason that charm should be as well.
  4. Tucoh Augur

[IMG]

I've done just about everything there is to do in EQ except play the charm game, really looking to explore that in Aradune.
    Andarriel and Dunamys like this.
  5. Rhoulicas Augur

Nope. Not spending anytime on this. Let chanters be chanters. Remember Vxed?
    Ulrin, Disil and Dunamys like this.
  6. Barthorn Elder

I'm not sure about vxed, what is that a year or more away? I was talking more about the Classic-Velious. Luclin was when the game was changed drastically.
  7. Pawtato Augur

It’s fun, but it was more exciting back before they adjusted it. It used to really separate enchanters based on skill. Now, it barely breaks and you don’t have to pay attention. You’re getting the Disney version.
    Barthorn likes this.
  8. Tucoh Augur

This is my first TLP, isn't that an endemic description of TLP relative to original EQ?
  9. Pawtato Augur

Pretty much, lol.
  10. Glenzig New Member

Yes.
  11. Tucoh Augur

Well let's do it, my Snow White enchanter and Grumpy cleric is ready to go charm the hell outta some forest animals and go whoop some witch whoopy.

[IMG]
    Andarriel and Pawtato like this.
  12. Bosshog New Member

I'll never personally understand why people call for nerfs, but even with that said, charm is fine. It doesn't need any additional touches on it. There is risk and reward for doing it.
    Zoshiro likes this.
  13. a_librarian Augur

would be fun to see a TLP server completely without charm, slow, CHeal and AE stuns. Just for the hell of it
  14. Pawtato Augur

AE stun doesn't kill things, AE damage does. Nerf AE damage...
    Barthorn likes this.
  15. Barthorn Elder

What's the risk? It rarely breaks early, chanters have 80-120 Charisma and can keep a mob perma charmed and carry a whole group, the pet acts like a tank/top DPS for a group, it's too strong IMO.

Druids and necro charm is also low risk and lasts full duration often.
    Thalliius and Ruiner like this.
  16. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Charm is overrated, charm pets have zero mitigation and are completely too fragile without Clerics and their OP complete heal spell. Charm is too situational, going back and doing lower level content as an Enchanter is an awful experience. Too many high end raid zones don't have charm pets at all and chanters are just bards that don't stack well on raids, class as a whole in completely outshined by bards by the time SoL is out.
    Aneuren, Disil and Pawtato like this.
  17. Rcbauer Augur

That's why every xp group in the top PoP zone requires at least one charm pet. Clearly overrated.

And fix levi in PoFire.
  18. TheTone Elder

This is likely the only thing that will draw me back to TLPs - charm is just stupid OP.

On Mangler, my ENC / DRU / CLR 3-box could hold just about any Chardok camp with ease (kennels got dicey with a double-pet-break, but that camp was toxic AF anyways so I avoided it). It wasn't even really fun. The only risk is getting a case of diarrhea while you have a pet charmed.

I switched it up and went SK / SHM / CLR 3-box and found I couldn't even compete with solo druids charming and plowing thru my camp. Their single L53 charmed doggy would more than double the DPS of my SK and SHM on full burns (minus HT).

Just dumb.
    Thalliius likes this.
  19. Transporter Lorekeeper

People complain about anything they can't do. My class gets hit so often it's not even funny. How about they stop sucking and wanting to be plvl'd and maybe they'd learn to be more than a "class" on paper.
  20. Sikkun Augur

When it’s people with box crews complaining it makes things too easy...well your the cause of your own problems.

Outside of that, people get to hung up on min/maxing xp and refuse to group with non “best classes”. Let you in on a little secrete even with a ranger tank and no enchanter charming you can still hold multiple camps in lower Guk and be waiting on respawns while fighting over scraps because everyone else is also waiting on respawns.

Classic is just too easy with current player power....that’s the problem.
    Kurage_of_Luclin and Tucoh like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.