End True Box on Phinigel

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Msfit, May 12, 2018.

1. Febb Augur

Many of the boxers I know do so because they don't have time to gather up a group of people. Plus they constantly have to go afk for whatever reason since they are parents. It's just easier to not put other people through that and just box your own group.
    Adrienna and Chatoyan like this.
  2. Chatoyan Elder

In the debate over what has a larger impact in limiting boxing, I think some people are giving far too much credit to the truebox code, and not enough credit to the tweaks that made it slightly harder to use the software that shall not be named. Boxing was not a problem, any more than soloing was in years past. Botting, however, was a problem especially when single players ran raid-capable sets of toons in eras where high-value content could be monopolized.

Once a server gets to the point where most content is instanced, it doesn't matter if a person is running 1 toon or 50, or if they're doing it on one machine or a server farm.
  3. Aurastrider Augur

I still think you have some rose colored glasses on but again I really hope I am wrong. If I am wrong it means a couple of things. First the game is still around which is good news for everyone who plays. Second the more players this game has the better chance it has to continue on for many years.

Your first assessment is true and there is a natural cycle that takes place in games like this. If you think that true box will solve this cycle I think you are foolish for believing this. Just as the population was younger then and as they aged came families, college, careers and the such that same population of players still has all of those thing and maybe throw in some grandkids now. Some are approaching retirement or are even there. Others have to relocate, have financial struggles, family issues caused by evercrack and the list goes on and on. Those same issues back then are still very relevant today.

This One variable is not even accurate either. In reality the variables are rather endless and even if you just isolate it to coding you have to account for instancing, AOC and all of the other jazz that is currently in the game now that was not back then so to say this ONE singular variable is going to make this successful is not really accurate by any means.

I do agree that trying to get rid of the code especially this early in the servers life is foolish but it should still be in the discussion for the future. If you are correct it will be a non issue to keep the code around. If you are incorrect and you have a server that is struggling to even maintain a group game let alone having an active raid force its worth discussing now to prepare for what the future might have in store for this server and others that use this code. Again I want nothing more than for this server and every server for that matter to be successful and anyone who actually loves this game should feel the same way. Successful servers mean a successful game that we can all enjoy no matter what server we choose to play on.
  4. Aurastrider Augur

I agree with this for modern times but back when the population started to dwindle boxing started to become more mainstream out of necessity to just play the game and less about convenience. Not saying there were not people that boxed back then for the reasons you suggested but a dwindling population is really the major factor into widespread boxing initially. Personally I cant ever imagine playing a single character again unless I was able to raid and it would only be for raid purposes. I find playing just one toon to be rather boring and I also fall into the very category you mentioned. Wife, little ones, some other issues that prevent me from sitting for extended periods of time without having to get up and walk around and there are times when I just want to hit the brakes and afk for a bit. I don't want others to experience EQ how I want to experience it and I don't want to experience EQ how others want to enjoy it unless we share a common experience style. I just want to log in and escape from the daily struggles and enjoy my favorite form of entertainment for nearly two decades.
  5. Hennings New Member

You cannot change the ruleset retroactively. That would be impossible. You can change the ruleset prospectively, which is what people are asking.
    Xyroff-cazic. likes this.
  6. bowzer New Member

seems silly to keep the truebox code, would like to keep the * code in place, but it wouldnt be a game breaker if that had to go as well.

we are past a point where a box of 10 mages will rule everything anyway, most people just want to box 2-3 characters on a pc so that they can camp their own stuff etc, and not rely on dragging friends to sit and camp an ac aug for 12 hours straight!

Other option, implement a code where you can log 3 characters per PC?

either way, drop the code!!
  7. Nolrog Augur

You don't speak for everyone, nor does anyone else on this thread. The people here are a vast minority of the players on the servers, who may feel otherwise.
    Risiko likes this.
  8. callius Journeyman

Its not broke, its how its always been. If you want to box, use a second computer its really not hard or expensive.
    One of the main reasons Phinny was so successful was because of the truebox code, i mean how often do you see bot armies running arround on Phinny.
    Lets be fair, you cant use the people reading/posting on these forums as any indication of what the general server population thinks. There is no valid reason or requirement to change how the server works, and the vast majority like it.
    Sheex and Risiko like this.
  9. Nolrog Augur

Not to the level that I saw on Ragefire/Lockjaw (there were people boxing as many as 24 there, no kidding.)
  10. EnchFWO Augur

I'm just gonna leave this here for you so you can realize how ridiculous it sounds that these forums -even moreso this thread- remotely represent the population:

https://www.surveysystem.com/sscalc.htm

:rolleyes:
    Adrienna likes this.
  11. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

First, I hate TrueBox code and do not believe it serves any purpose (except to market to the crazy anti-boxer crowd).
    Second, I think your numbers from the first page are very relevant and that it is clear that sentiment has shifted against TrueBox code.

But, I feel obligated to object to the assumption that these forums are a statistical representation of the population as a whole. I've met (and continue to meet) far too many players who don't seem to know how to google (or who can't be bothered to use the internet for game-related information) to believe that the people who post on these forums are "the norm".

And then there's the issue of sample size vs population (and we don't even know the population). I do believe the numbers are correlated and that it is possible they are indeed a very accurate representation of overall sentiment. But, statistically speaking, if they do line up with overall sentiment, I suspect it would be more due to coincidence than due to these forums being a generally accurate representation of overall sentiment. As the overall population dwindles, it would stand to reason that the statistical accuracy of the "forum sentiment" would also fall.
  12. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Ooooh EnchFWO said it so much more concisely...if rudely :)

I still hate TrueBox code and can't wait for everybody to catch up on how stupid it is :D
  13. Ajjantis Elder

The moment true-box is gone, i will unsub all my 3 accounts. Was that clear enough ?
  14. Wiff Elder

It's hard to believe how incredibly selfish some people are. We don't care if you are hot. You have many other options.
  15. Lankie Augur

Lol a boxer saying he's going to cancel multiple accounts if trubox is disabled. Anyone else see how stupid that is?

"I'm a cancel me 32 accounts if troobox is disabled;!!!;!"
  16. Ajjantis Elder

I have two accounts and my wife has one account. There are server with no true box. Go play there, its specially designed for people who want to run multiple chars. Im perfectly happy with my duo-box.
  17. Raina Elder

I would play on phinny if took out the true-box. Would definitely be nice.
    discordkitty likes this.
  18. EnchFWO Augur

Um... that didn't prove you right at all. First, lets use a realistic number since you want to compare to the forums. If this post had 100 unique posters (which it doesn't come close to as many people, like yourself, have made 3 - 7 posts each) you would need 86 to participate and then you would need 43 of those to say "Yes, end truebox" to hit a 50/50 split. So - by no means a vast majority even if that was the case.

My main point is that believing the forums are an accurate metric for anything resembling the actual consensus of a server population just isn't true.

They probably should do an in game poll on what people think; that would be listening to your customer base. Taking the opinions from the forum into consideration would probably be ill advised though.
  19. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

I don't think taking the opinions from the forum into consideration is bad, but I hope they don't put too much weight on that data source. A poll might be better than forum opinion, but polls have their own inherent limitations/biases (you are only ever recording the opinions of people who take the poll, which doesn't account for all the people who don't take polls).

But it's not about DBG collecting data. This is really about us, the players, wanting to see and know how we stand collectively (how many of us are there, how many of us enjoy certain aspects, etc.).
  20. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

DBG already has all the data they need right off the servers themselves. If they are anything but inept at their job, they already know who is spending money and how we play (whether we box, truebox, play on live or TLP or both, how much time we spend do specific activities, how often we use kronos and whether we purchase them in-game or from DBG, etc.). Frankly, they should already know us better than we know ourselves.

I think it is hubris to believe that DBG isn't aware of all of that information and isn't doing everything they can to capitalize on it, developing the game and releasing servers to make us spend as much money as possible. And if they are NOT doing that well (as it appears to me), then I believe it is safe to assume that they do not have confidence in the financial potential of the game or the game's fan base to warrant investing any more money into the game.

All of us speculating is a fun way to pass the time, but I believe we are speculating about facts that DBG already knows...and they are silently laughing at all of our speculation while collecting our moneys :D