End True Box on Phinigel

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Msfit, May 12, 2018.

1. Machentoo Augur

You should be aware that the "TLP crowd" is not monolithic. We don't all want the same things. Most of us haven't changed our minds on this issue. Most of us have more nuanced desires on this issue than just "YES Truebox" or "NO Truebox."

And yes, whatever DBG does, it is not going to stop TLP players for asking for additional things, any more than happens for live players. The last time DBG made a change on live that players requested, was everyone like "Ok, they finally gave us what we asked for, we will never ask for anything else ever again?"
  2. Numiko Augur

for me I just want to make my computer room a little cooler!

I can box just the same if I am using 1 or 4 PC's . but having 4 running makes my room so warm in the summer months!
  3. Machentoo Augur

This is a great point. I think I argued back before Phinigel was launched that this was a very environmentally unfriendly approach for a company to take. Maybe we are small fries in the overall scheme of things but encouraging players to run 6x the computers needed, with the extra power demands, heat generation, air conditioning to compensate, just doesn't seem a very wise plan overall.
    Numiko likes this.
  4. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

5. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Totally fair, I agree. As an outsider to the current content on standard servers, those players are just as fickle and demanding, and nothing is ever enough for them either. This raid is too hard, dumb it down! ...This raid is stupid and way too easy now!

Just the nature of the community as a whole I think. Not really any major difference in attitudes for TLP players compared to modern content players.

I think we have something in common! :)
  6. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

It’s pretty similar for sure. Forum Quest it’s own special brand of stupid. But it’s a frequency thing imo - it happens so much more often in this section because there’s a lot of fragmentation about what kind of progression server people want.

The simplicity of the early game and the nature of open world things plays a role for sure. Not to mention fast expansion unlocks and the devs appearing to actually cater to the special rulsets a bit feeds into it. When they cave to 1 complaint, it breeds 5 more.

My experience is also shaped by classic/kunark Ragefire, which I’m sure were more toxic than Phinny. But a guildmate was huge into that server, a full on TLP/Phinny disciple, and it’s funny to hear the stories and how he readily admits the entitlement was off the charts compared to live. There are similarities, but TLP absolutely wins the crown.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  7. Aurastrider Augur

At a certain point true box will absolutely become detrimental to the server. Whether that's before it catches live or not its yet to be seen but eventually this code will just prove to cause more harm than good. Maybe they should consider a certain expansion to disable the code or when the population hits xyz mark for abc amount of time the following expansion unlock will drop the code. Either way at a certain point the servers population will hit a wall and boxing is what will keep the population from falling into zek like status.
  8. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

IMO, the thing is that they really cannot choose to ever do that with Phinny. Phinny is going to be the first server to offer the Truebox experience at higher level content. At some point in the future, when Phinny has caught up to Live; then they can start offering transfers to it, and possibly even have it be accessible to those without a subscription. More or less Daybreak needs to leave Phinny as a Truebox server so that they can eventually provide a Truebox Server option for current content.
    Risiko likes this.
  9. Machentoo Augur

Or, they can just launch a truebox live server if they want to have one of those. Phinny is still years away from being that.
  10. Aurastrider Augur

Its just my prediction but end game content with true box code is going to be an epic fail. As classes become more complex and its more than just pushing one or two buttons to maximize things it is going to become more and more difficult to true box which will push some of the boxers away. When you add to this the people that will only stay until a certain expansion and the numbers are only bound to trend downward. A logical solution will be to merge convair and phinny once they are both caught up to live to help with the smaller population but in the end its going to be just another Zek or Brekt server. I would love to be wrong because the more players this game has the better chances of it staying around for another decade or longer but in this case I just don't see this code being useful at current end game.
    frankie78227 likes this.
  11. Zanarnar Augur

Once its caught up to live.. well its basically a live server. There are lots of live servers you can box on to your hearts delight. I see no problem leaving this server as truebox... if that means it dies well by then it could be merged with something else and the VM resources dedicated to either another new TLP or something else...

Ruining the environment by running a bunch of old inefficient computers... well thats YOUR choice. Heating your room up? again YOUR choice. This server is clearly setup to discourage boxing. You want to do it anyways, well that's YOUR choice. Last time I checked it doesn't require you to box to log into Phinny.

BTW, Machentoo, you kind-of made my point.. you don't invite people to group with you because (gasp) you'd have to share. I could write a couple dozen lines of code and make a bazaar mule that sells random items on my called "Machentoo" and you'd interact with me there as much as you would on Phinny. I don't really see using us to buy your loot (and probably sell you krono) as interacting in a meaningful way.
  12. Accipiter Old Timer

Because two people want Truebox removed on Phinny?
  13. Machentoo Augur

That's fine. If you want meaningful interaction with me, come join my guild or raid with me. Or, join a competing guild and let's go head to head on expansion launches. If you don't think bazaar transactions are meaningful interaction, then don't use to bazaar. I don't care. Personally I consider it far more meaningful to exchange items that the server community has assigned a value to, than for you to do something by yourself on an server that I will never log into. But if you don't, I really don't care.

You and I may not have common interests that will allow us for mutually enjoyable meaningful interaction. I don't know. I do know that I am not going to interact with people in ways that I don't enjoy just because they feel I am obligated to, because we happen to play the same game. I accept that I am not going to be interested in spending time with every individual who plays this game, nor are they all going to be interested in spending time with me. That doesn't mean I don't want any interaction with people.

This is entertainment. We play for fun. I am not obligated to make the game fun for you, that's DBG's job and not my responsibility.
  14. Risiko Augur

Or...

The population may stay high and even grow larger over time as people find that the only way to truly play with OTHER REAL GAMERS is to play on a Truebox server, and Phinigel will be the only one at Live status eventually.

You seem to insinuate that the game can't possibly survive if gamers have to rely on each other to accomplish anything, and I tend to believe you are wrong. The live servers are full of boxers, and over the years it has gotten more anti-social to the point where almost everybody boxes 3 characters with 3 mercenaries.

I personally can't wait to see how Phinigel works out in the most recent expansions with Truebox code. I think it could be the best thing to ever happen to Everquest just short of the invention of /pick.
  15. Zanarnar Augur

1) pass thanks. I prefer a more casual guild (well fine I haven't played since GoD and then a bit of DoN; but thats because I just /hate/ the other expansions around them; I'll be back w/ TSS).

2) We would never know since you'll never group with me and I'll never raid with you. Thats kindof the fun of a random pug though, you get to meet people you might otherwise never meet. I've made some solid friends out of what started as a random PuG. I've also met some raging asswipes. It goes both ways I know.

I'm not picking on you, Machentoo, but the playstyle. You just happened to stick your head up at the right (wrong?) time :) I couldn't agree with Risiko more. Lets see how Phinny plays out with the rules it was launched with before we declare the (plane of) sky is falling :p
  16. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

I don't know if the "sky is falling" for phinny or not. But if you look at Fippy, it is brutally obvious that DBG does not care about old TLP servers. After the first couple of months, they have served their purpose and DBG has already moved on to next year's TLP (and the next "expansion", if you believe it can be called that).

You guys are wasting breath here. And so am I :)
  17. Machentoo Augur

Why pick on the playstyle, though? Just because you don't enjoy it doesn't make it an invalid playstyle if I do.

Also, you assume that meeting new people is a good thing. That's one of your goals and something you enjoy. I don't play Everquest to meet as many new people as I can. I'd rather build real relationships with a smaller group people over the course of years through teamwork and cooperation than get to know new strangers every night on a shallow level for two hours in a pug. Very few of the people I've built relationships with long term came about from pugs, so I just don't have any interest or incentive to pug it up with people too often. Occasionally I do like to pug it up on alts, but my goal isn't to meet new people.
  18. Aurastrider Augur

Well to be fair I am basing my opinion on the history of this game over nearly 2 decades. As you have stated live servers are already full of boxers and you have to stop and ask yourself as to why this is. Most of the people that box or at least the ones I have encountered started boxing not because they felt like it would give them some advantage or in game financial edge over others but rather the population on a lot of servers hit the point where the group game just was not there on a consistent basis for people to progress especially for someone returning to the game and has tons of levels to catch up on and nobody in their level range to group with. It left people with two options either box and continue to play or quit and play something different. Again I have stated I would love to be wrong because that means that we are retaining players but I don't have much faith in this code as I really don't have much faith in the people that quit once they hit an expansion they did not like without sticking it out to see if the next expansion was more enjoyable.
  19. Risiko Augur

You are correct. You have based your hypothesis on data collected over the past two decades on servers that do not have Truebox code.

Yes. The population broke down over the years for all servers, but there were many, many factors that played in to that. There was the constant blunders and mistakes made to the game, WoW came about, the MMORPG industry as a whole exploded (and then imploded), people simply burned out on the game and the genre, etc. Lots and lots of things happened over those two decades that played in to what became of the Everquest population. Hell some of that was just the fact that people grew up, got married, had children, and didn't have time for a game anymore. Some of those people are now coming back.

The thing is, there is ONE VARIABLE that was not in play on any of those servers over the past two decades; truebox code.

Maybe, and I admit completely that it is a big maybe, the fact that people are much more encouraged BY THE SERVER CODE to rely on one another, people will not take the easy way out by boxing a full group, and instead communicate with their community and make connections that will strengthen their bond with the server and the game. Maybe... just maybe, people on a Truebox server will enjoy the game just that much more because they are enjoying it with friends instead of with a handful of boxes and mercenaries.

But... if people push to get rid of the Truebox ruleset before we get there, we will never know, and it will all be because some people want one of the UNIQUE servers in Everquest to be changed in to being just like every other LIVE server already available. I'll never understand why people want everything to be the same everywhere. What ever happened to creativity and uniqueness?
  20. Accipiter Old Timer

I don't think you really have to worry about that. There is zero indication DBG has any plans to change the server rules. In fact, they've said the opposite (yeah, I know it might not mean much).
    Risiko likes this.