Very frustrating game?!?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Clamdigger, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Treage_Imminent Elder

I haven't seen it mentioned, but you may want to try Gyrospire Beza. There's enough blue mobs to get your boxes worked out. Exp isn't bad, just pull to the zone in for mostly singles. If that's too easy move to Zeka for multi-pulls. Just don't fall off the edge:)

Edit: I was able to solo my mage and cleric there at 85 (no mercs) so pretty stress free.
  2. shruggz Elder

actually sir, @ clamdigger, I never said heroic characters where a rip off at all.
    my opinion on that issue is they are a great buy if you already have an understanding of the game.
    they save you from having to go through level 1-84, that by itself is a huge time saver. not to mention the free progression you get with them, mata trials and keepers progression,
    and I think that ftp restrictions are there for a reason, and no matter what you do as you play you are going to upgrade your gear no matter if you sub or don't. that's just part of the game.
    I think your expectations were too high, and feerott may be a bit above your skill and knowledge level
    (no offence intended) step back an expansion or two, learn your toons, and then try again when you have a higher comfort level. I'm sure you will do better.
    learning how to set up macro's and keybindings will help you considerably, learning what aa's and when to use them is difference between success and failure.
    real power in this game comes from aa's,
    best of luck to you I hope you find your path.
  3. Cats Meow Journeyman

I've just uploaded a video of my fresh out of the box level 85 SK killing a Lizardman patroller in the Feerrott on a Live server. Take a look.

Treage_Imminent and Treiln like this.
  4. Treiln Augur

If Cats Meow's video doesn't convince you, let me know. I'll roll a fresh heroic Warrior and play around with him and get back to you with AA/Discs.

P.S. it isn't that your warrior is squishy. Proof is: put your warrior against a mob and just let it beat on you. Then do the same with another of your toons. Your warrior will last a lot longer than the other toon ;)
  5. Clamdigger Lorekeeper

That sounds like a possibility, do necros have a decent amount of DoTs? And thanks for the reply.
  6. Treiln Augur

Necros are all about DoTs.

That's probably 80% of what a Necro is
  7. Clamdigger Lorekeeper

As I already mentioned, my tank is so squishy on certain mobs its as if he is wearing paper armor. Part of the problem is I dont have any more AAs to use as most of them were added in after the boost automatically if I remember right, I would love to redo his AA's with pure tanking in mind to toughen him up. And the leveling exp is so ridiculously horrid it will take me 400 years at this rate to make any progress. I killed a bunch of the easier mobs, mostly dark blues and the snakes where whites and yellows(but manageable normal mobs) and my exp bars didnt move at all. Ive also mentioned that I admit Im still needing to learn all my AA's and combat abilities so the "ego excuse" is BS. Hell I admit im a rookie, no argument there. But my ego has nothing to do with a broken 'heroic' character. I could probably pop all of my most powerful abilities right after pulling a lizardman or spider in The Dream, and it would still wipe the floor with me without constant heals...does that sound normal to you? Does that sound like a tank class to you? Its ridiculous. What Im saying is that with NO AA or combat ability usage, my tank is way too squishy. Spiders and lizardman hit him so hard it makes no sense, to put a fresh heroic in a zone with quest mobs that are that powerful. The little blue wisps and normal snakes are like normal mobs, the lizardman and spiders for some idiotic reason, have DPS and health pools that are more like elite dungeon mobs.

When you pull a mob with your warrior, which combat abilities and AAs exactly are you popping and in what order? I would love to see you roll a new free to play heroic warrior with no augs and the default limited AAs, go into The Dream with nothing but a healing merc. Then pull one of those lizardman or spiders. I will bet you it would wipe the floor with you. If if you somehow survive, it would be by the skin of your teeth.
  8. Clamdigger Lorekeeper

That sounds awesome, because someone said that the DoTs dont break roots as bad? Well shoot, another poster said you can delete a heroic character after of course removing anything you want to keep, and than you can reroll him and reuse the boost. I might do that on one of my heroics and try that necro, they sound like a pretty good class. That way, if all goes right, I can root and rot even the tougher mobs. I just wonder if a snare/kiter might be safer? Doesnt snare land more reliably and not break as easy as root?
  9. Clamdigger Lorekeeper

I will watch that video, but against those lizardman and spiders NONE of my toons have much of a chance unfortunately. They also seem to break root much easier too.
  10. Clamdigger Lorekeeper

Thank you for that video, that was awesome! The combo of your HoTs(SKs have HoTs?? o_O) and the healing from the merc and maybe life taps or whatever they are called seem to constantly keep your health pegged at max for the most part. But it was more than that, your SK just seemed like the hits from the lizardman were much smaller than the big hits I take on my warrior, like your SK is much tougher than my warrior. I think my AA's are really messed up for tanking. When you rolled your SK, were you able to put in some of his AA points or was he kind of already set up for the most part? I wish I could redo my warriors AA's and focus on the recommended defensive stuff, shield specialization things, all the good tanking stuff. I remember I had SOME AA points to put in but most were already set...I wonder if I should delete my warrior, and redo him but this time try to focus what AA points I get purely on the defensive weapon stance stuff, shield stuff, aggro, all the tanky stuff?? Thanks again for the sweet video, now I want an SK haha.
  11. Clamdigger Lorekeeper

Update
    -----------------------------------
    Ok just watched Cat Meows awesome DK video, where he did kill a dark blue con lizardman in The Dream and did pretty damn fantastic at it too. I wish it could have been a warrior but still, that SK tanked the lizard like a champ. I had no clue SK's had HoTs, I knew about the life tap spell stuff, but not the HoTs. Between the self healing and the merc his health pretty much stayed pegged to max most the time it was excellent. His SK also seemed way tougher than my warrior, I think my warriors AA points are all messed up with not enough stuff in tanking, shields, etc. I think I might try to reroll him and reuse the boost like another poster said. You can delete and reroll heroics like that. But this time, I want to focus what AA points I get on those defense weapon stances you guys recommended, and what other tank based things. Going to log on again and study more on his AA's/combat skills. Also will try to compare what he did as far as AA useage I think some are the same as my warriors for the defense ones maybe.
  12. Versifier Elder

That's not how AAs work with heroics or auto-grant, you get essentially every AA up to your level and up to a specific expansion I believe right now they go up to Rain of Fear? You won't get racial or tradeskill AAs(Neither are useful for tanking). The only "tanking" AA you'd be missing as a level 85 heroic warrior that you should get is Weapon Stances(as seen in the video the mobs are doable without weapon stances) which while available at 85 came out after ROF so it doesn't yet qualify as available via auto-grant.
  13. Treiln Augur

This. Every class, regardless of their role, has their own set of AAs. A lot of them are universal across all classes (combat agility/stability, planar power, etc etc ). So it's not like there's a pre-set template that the game uses to set AAs on boosted toons.

You have all AAs up to level 85. Some that are shared with all classes. And more that are unique to just Warrior.

And just for the record, it's not that Cats SK was stronger/beefier than your warrior, it's just that Cats has a much better understanding of the classes/game mechanics than you do. So using the spells/AAs/Discs properly allows him to tank those mobs that much easier than you.

While I main an SK myself, I'll have to tell you that Warriors in the long run are the best tanks. May not solo as well as an SK, but in end game where it comes down to the nitty griddy: warriors are on top :)
  14. Clamdigger Lorekeeper

Yup you are right, I just rerolled my warrior and reboosted him(awesome you can reuse the heroic boost again after delete) and didnt get any extra AA's, so I didnt remember correctly before. You are set at your max depending on if F2P or subscription/exp pack. And those weapon stances AA's sound pretty dang awesome and others have recommended I look forward to unlocking those if I really get into this game.
  15. Sheil New Member

Clamdigger... Get the hell out of Dream. Not a good place to try and learn your toon. Go to PoK and do the Franklin Teek HOT quest of the day. Currently it's Gyrospire Zeka and is quite a bit easier mobs than the dream, plus it's bonus xp being a hot zone and you'll get 6 to 7% xp each time you finish the daily quest. Here you can pull single mobs by being reasonably careful, and could probably handle an add or 2 after you learn the area and how to fight these mobs.

I'm currently an 87 heroic Necro in my birthday robe (the robe that came with the heroic, so nothing too special but still OK) and I can easily take 4 dark blues at a time without issue.

I think at one point you said you were on Luclin. If that's the case, so am I and we can do a quest together so you can start dialing in your toon without worrying about dying and you can try a bunch of different tactics to see what works. I'm doing the HOT quest each day anyway, so you're welcome to join.
  16. Clamdigger Lorekeeper

I just want to thank everyone again for all the fantastic help and information you all have provided. After watching Cats Meows sweet SK video of him tanking that lizardman, I found out I was making a big mistake on something I was completely forgetting to do. I have not been right clicking on the heroic gear pieces for those nice buffs....I am newb, hear me roar haha. What a difference that made. And of course I also looked into the warriors AAs/combat abitlites some more, put a few on hotbar to help with defence and pop them right before pulling. But its those buffs from the gear that made all the difference. My first test was a big tough, I pulled a white con spider, nasty bastage he was. And, I just used the warrior and my cleric, and the warriors healer merc. It was a decently long fight, but we got that SOB down to about 1/8th of his health, and I screwed up with the cleric and slacked on the heals for a sec, and the warrior dropped. I rooted the spider after he aggroed the cleric, pulled back, healed myself, then rezzed the warrior IN COMBAT(awesome) and by then the root wore off and he was trying to murder my cleric so I ran to guard like a sissy man ha. BUT...I almost had a white con spider, that sucker was down to a fraction of his health.

Next test I got something not quite as tough, a blue con lizardman brute, I think pretty close to what Cats Meow fought so well on his SK video. This time, that lizard sucker DIED. He put up a good fight, but we got him fairly easy. This time, no mercs, just my warrior and cleric, alt tabbing.

But now Im kind of intrigued by the SK...with that self healing through the HoTs and life taps, do you all think I should scrap the warrior and reboost as an SK for a bit more solo'ability? Or stick with the warrior?

Thanks again everyone for helping my EQ newb butt out.
  17. Cats Meow Journeyman

Glad the video helped you Clamdigger! That SK you saw in the video has all the AA's already assigned to him, so I wasn't able to do anything to him. The SK takes a little time to get used to, but once you learn it, you can go on cruise control. I do think you should move to another zone to level up. I leveled up in Oceangreen hills/village, Old Blackburrow, and even Toskirakk (when you get to 87) from the Seeds of destruction expansion. The Mobs are lower in experience than the House of thule mobs, but you'll get experience faster since you'll have less downtime. Also, you'll get more plat from selling vendor items, etc. Whatever you do, don't do anything in the Underfoot expansion. I went there at level 90 with a full group and the SK got killed in 8 seconds flat by a regular trash mob(complete heal takes 10 seconds to cast as you know).

Finally, the nice thing about the SK is it can Feign death or use Harm shield/Harm touch when things go bad so you never have to worry about dying :)
  18. Clamdigger Lorekeeper

Thanks for the additional info. You think I should move to another zone now or at least complete the quests in The Dream first? And that other zone you mentioned, Oceangreen...man even just the name of that sounds like a cool place haha. And I didnt know the SK's had feign death too, nice. Im also thinking of trying out some of the other classes, for my situation in The Dream what would you recommend for a caster to handle the spiders and lizards? How about a kiting/snare class for the same mobs? Thanks a lot for the help.
  19. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Let go of the Dream.o_O
  20. bigpapa Augur