Very frustrating game?!?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Clamdigger, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Clamdigger Lorekeeper

Its all good thank you for the reply!
  2. Sheil New Member

Snare just doesn't seem to ever break... maybe it does, but I have never had it happen. Plus, the snare I use on my Nec is an AA hotkey, so free. But it requires a bit of room to move around. Not a lot really, It can be done in a decent sized room or courtyard, but it's important to not have other mobs or roamers in the kiting path. More experienced kiters can probably do a lot more with less room and known locations of existing mobs, but I need a bit of room and no roamers to be safe. I usually invis an watch a new area for a while before I try to kite just to get a read on what I might run into before starting a kite. But once I see what's going on it will be a prime spot to xp and lvl at.
  3. Scorrpio Augur

The mercs you buy at store are cosmetics i.e. you can have a merc that looks like a banshee or a spider, but it has no impact on the ability.
    By 'lower levels' I meant sub-65.
  4. Moege Augur

Snare cannot break, it can be resisted which then means it is not snared at all or duration can run out. Once a mob is snared its movement is limited for the duration of the snare spell. One catch is when the mob dispells snare from itself, always fun !

Can do kiting in a tiny room if you are feeling adventurous,
    Imagine a straight line, you run with the mob behind you till your nose is against the wall, cast the dot, move 3 steps sideways, run to the other end of the line (imagine running down the side of a triangle), nose against the wall, time to cast a dot, 3 steps sideways and repeat. The limiting factor for kiting space is the time to cast 1 dot ;) (easier to rootrot if all you have is this tiny space)
  5. Clamdigger Lorekeeper

Ya I agree on the snares now that I tried them a bit more. I just deleted my heroic necro which was actually damn good, to try a reroll on a ranger. I would snare, throw a few DoTs, and then constantly fire arrows with range attack at same time spamming his two main ranged spells. His DPS was pretty impressive, considering I wasnt using any other characters to attack. This was on those nasty lizardmen and spiders in The Dream. Its a bit of a button clicker to constantly fire the arrows but its basically free ranged damage and it was a fun kiting class. Up close of course he got mauled pretty good trying to melee, but was an awesome kiter/snare/rangedDPS class.
  6. Clamdigger Lorekeeper

Ok thanks for the clarification.
  7. Treiln Augur

2 things that'll make your life so much easier:

1) Auto-fire. Go into your socials tab <Ctrl O>, go to the second page where you have like 12 empty slots, and right click on one. For the name, you can put whatever you want, I'll just use Ranged. Then in the first of the 5 command slots type /autofire Now left click and hold down until that box appears on your cursor, and drag it over to your hot bar and replace your old manual ranged attack :)

Wha-la! As long as you have the ammo (which with Endless Quiver AA you have, you will), it'll fire for you :) now just focus on staying outta melee range.

2) Auto skill. All melee toons have a form of kick/bash/whatever. Just type this into your chat box: /autoskill kick

Bam! Your ranger will now kick every time it's off it's cool down while you're auto attacking.

QoL ftw!
  8. Scorrpio Augur

Also for ranger, look up on bazaar:
    Ancient Arrows. I think you need two, one in ammo slot and one in quiver. Another thing is Prescient Fleeting Quiver, though you might have to use a krono in order to afford one. This quiver greatly boosts your firing speed and those arrows offer best damage/range combo.
  9. Clamdigger Lorekeeper

Excellent thanks for the tips!
  10. Clamdigger Lorekeeper

Ok sounds good, like I mentioned before Im trying to stay F2P as far as monthlys, but I dont mind buying a krono sometimes, or some store items, to set things up how I like. That quiver sounds killer, if I do decide to keep a ranger I will have to get one of those. Thanks pal for the info.
  11. Ironnuts Journeyman

Clamdigger I'm glad you've stuck it out a lil bit to learn some things. Ditch the I'm an expert gamer and this game is broken and sucks routine. Do you think this game would be around 18 years if all ya had to do is auto attack and spam heals? Rhetorical question. I've never mained a Shaman but oh root keeps resisting and breaking. Did ya malo the mob did ya slow him, regen, Unity on yourself? Ancestral aid? Persistent Paralysis handy?

Your trying to play six classes at once and ya don't know the first thing about any of them. Your looking for the magic bullit. I'll snare and everything will be easy. All the classes are good, but you have to understand their strengths and weaknesses. A lot of your questions can be answered in the most basic primer written about the classes.

My advice, if your gonna play f2p is just solo a Necro. It's a class that doesn't need a merc, so ya do away with the f2p merc problem. There's not much a necro can't do so if your gettin eaten up, you can stop, know it's you that's the problem. Look at your tools, read the necro forums and figure out how your going to improve the situation.

All classes have close to a hundred spells and abilities. You need to know when to use them and in what order to use them, and it's not the same in different situations. Try to group with experienced players, you'll learn other classes just by grouping with good players. I remember back in the day watching enchanter's and thinking surely no class could touch them, they just controlled the game. Your new, you severely underestimated the degree of evil roaming around norrath. Take the challenge, make these bastid's pay for their villainous ways. Pick a class and learn everything there is to know about them. And ya won't learn it in 3 days. But it's rewarding once you start outsmarting these vile, god forsaken, heinous, motherless, steaming piles of dog****.
    Good Luck, Have a nice day.
  12. Clamdigger Lorekeeper

Thanks for the reply. but I think you missed a few things or are a bit late to the party. I mentioned recently here that I found out I was forgetting to right click all the heroic gear pieces to get all of the nice built in gear buffs, and that has made a nice difference and Im doing much better now. But I also mentioned learning the AA's a bit more as well as combat abilities did help a little too. And of course there are so many helpful folks here giving lots of other advice on which classes to box with which, using mercs, etc etc. Outstanding community here.

You also said "Your trying to play six classes at once and ya don't know the first thing about any of them".

Well the most I ever tried to play at once was 5, I dont think I ever ran 6 accounts at once. The most I run now is normally 3 or sometimes just 2. And I know the basic gameplay of most all the EQ1 classes, I certainly am better than "do know the first thing about any of them", thanks. Even now using the AA's/combat abilities, even getting all the buffs from the gear, and also using mercs some of the mobs be pretty tough. Some mobs in this game even just blues, just as multiple other people have also admitted, are noticeably under conned. Some of the mobs in fact are VASTLY under conned in this game, and the fairly broken con system doesnt really warn you of this. As Ive also mentioned before the normal adders or wisps in The Dream can even be yellow cons to me...and are easy, no problem, barely need any heals if any even tanking them with finger wigglers wearing cloth armor..and they die much faster too...but just one blue con spider or lizardman in that same zone has ton of HP and hits like a truck?!?...ya, that con system aint broken....riiiight. The con system needs to not only be based on level, but mob HP/DPS, then it would actually be much more accurate. Also getting 1% or LESS exp per kill even WITH exp pots going(do they even do anything?) is pretty broken too, in a game where killing mobs in one of the main sources of exp.

But next time I log on I have to do what others here recommended and go back and re-try that Teek guy in PoK, and do one of his hotzone quests. Maybe its not the exp per kill thats important, but the exp you get from completing his quests??

Oh and also I agree necros are pretty dang awesome. I reworked my main hotbar on my necro (I run a crazy multiple hotbar multiple filtered window UI setup) and now I currently dont even use the pet. I root, then snare(yet another DoT) ,and DoT it up. I drop one of those little fear totem things(forgot name) in front of me, just in case the mob gets close it auto fears him, snares him, and I re-root/snare/DoT. I can put I think 6 total DoTs on a mob now, and just sit back and solo root/snare rot those nasty spiders and lizards hehe.

Thanks again for your reply/info/help.
  13. Samatman Augur

This isn't a party. This is you, Clamdigger, subjecting the entirety of this forum to your inability to learn any of the classes you insist on boxing. Most people do this in silence, quietly learning from their mistakes. You may as well make a youtube video of this epic tale. Are we going to be subjected to your entire learning experience from here to level cap?? Make a blog maybe instead?

This forum isn't a stream of consciousness for you. Play the game. Learn from your mistakes. Not every one of your actions in game needs an achievement or forum coddling. I find this pathetic.
  14. Chorus Augur

I have rolled new heroics and played them in that zone. Again, the problem is you. You're used to kids gloves games and are surprised that you actually need to heal a tank when fighting in this game. That should tell you how sad the state is of those other games you're trying to compare it to. I have run 2 different heroic groups through this content, but because I understand mechanics, and have realistic expectations it wasn't a problem. Again, no matter how often you say it, the problem is you and your expectations. God forbid you play a game where your tank has to be healed in normal play...omg!

quite frankly, there is quite a bit of help and info in this thread and you do not need any more. Learn the mechanics and have fun and you'll be fine, or continue to complain because you didn't do proper research before spending your money and continue to whine...either way, you've had way more help than you need at this point. Either succeed, or fail and move on
  15. Clamdigger Lorekeeper

What are you talking about? Ive learned a ton of good info from lots of helpful people here, as well as a big mistake I was making by forgetting to activate the buffs on the heroic gear which pushed up my total stats much nicer, did you also miss where Ive recently stated all of this??
  16. Clamdigger Lorekeeper

Did you even read the latest posts?? Ive thanked everyone for the awesome help, have been studying more on AA's and abilites, and found out I was making a big mistake in forgetting to activate the nice buffs on the heroic gear...which makes my stats look much nicer.

"You're used to kids gloves games and are surprised that you actually need to heal a tank when fighting in this game. "

Seriously? Why say things like that when they are not true? Drop the elitist attitude, there is no need for it especially when you have been helpful to me before. Some of the main characters I have in several MMORPGs are healers(but I play all classes), and Ive healed lots of tanks and normally there isnt a need for constant heal spamming in average situations. Of course tanks need heals, but before when I was having more trouble (slacking on my AA and ability use, forgetting the gear buffs etc), it wasnt just normal heals...it was constant heal spamming just to have a chance, at keeping the tank up...for zone trash...THAT sounds "normal" to you? You can see why I was having trouble before, right?

As Ive previously mentioned, which I guess you too missed it, Im doing better now because of all the excellent help here for one, and two remembering to activate all the buffs on the heroic gear...which was damn near as important as the AA/combat ability knowledge and usage to be honest.

At this point Ive been praising you all for the help, not complaining. The info you all have provided along with better AA/combat ability use and definately me finally remembering to use the built in buffs on the heroic gear, has helped a ton.
  17. Treiln Augur

Those really easy to kill wisps and what not, are tied into the J5 Mercenary quest you get right off the bat. Those ones are meant to roll over and die when you look at them. Most of those other mobs that hit like a truck, are the normal mobs in the zone.

And the con system, as someone mentioned, isn't based off the strength of the mob, but its level in relation to you. To rework the con system to work the way you want, it would have to take into consideration your character. A mob conned white with all my gear on would be red and a message "would take an army to defeat" when my gear is taken off. Waaaaay too much work to be done to try to work that way
  18. Ironnuts Journeyman

If your likening the root rotting clamdigger, you know the merc takes half your experience. All he can raeally do is buff ya and Rez ya so suspend his after he does that. Don't know if you were aware of this to help your Exp bar. Shammy is a nice box with necro for that style of play. More Dots and again no need for a merc. And ya learn the sham for down the road where he is a great contributor to all kinds of box mixes ya might do.
  19. Clamdigger Lorekeeper

Good point on con system rework, it would have to be based on your characters gear for sure.
    Also I didnt know about those easier mobs being tied to that quest, to be honest they should con as greens or light blues they are so much easier than those dang spiders and lizardman haha.
  20. Clamdigger Lorekeeper

Well I have had a lot of luck with my heroic necro and root/snare rotting. But I didnt think about shammy/necro combo...man that would be even MORE DoTs hahaa nice I might try it thanks.