Kernel32.dll

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Oscilioth, Apr 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Sugesstion for the devs:
    Host the patched files and link it to the frontpage, and tell them abouth the patchme command.

That way xp/vista users can download and copy them into their EQ dir themselves, even if the don't have separate win7 box...
    Fanra likes this.
  2. Capacittor New Member

I've been procrastinating the upgrade for 5-6 years now. I finally bit the bullet and picked up a copy of Win 7 on the way home yesterday. Woohoo officially movin' into 2010!
    Corwyhn Lionheart and CrazyLarth like this.
  3. Socratic Journeyman

So the game runs just fine on XP, but you guys can't allow a launchpad to do the same?

It's not very good business to rely on your customers providing a means to patch their systems for a game they pay you for. Whatever "upgrade" happened to the launchpad I hope it was worth the loss of subs.
  4. Janakin Augur

I have 2 Win10 machines I primarily play on but sometimes load up a 3rd Vista machine to box on. Just bought Win8 upgrade on Amazon though for $129.99 ~
  5. Scila Augur

Winxp came out in 2001 ... EQ is 18 ... current Winos is 10. What I've seen on the forums is complaining to upgrade on DB's side so things work better, better security, hamsters don't have heart attacks or go on strike you get the idea. So unpopular as it is, if you want a better game for EQ, DB has to keep current. That translates to the consumers who didn't do the free upgrade to 10 when offered need to stop complaining or catch up on your side.
  6. Kahlev Al-Calen Augur

Again, it's not an issue of them finally requiring win7+ for eq to run, but of making that change without a proper announcement. And to those that keep posting the support page, note that it says "RECOMMENDED", not "REQUIRED", and that the game still runs perfectly fine under the minimum recommended specs, it's just the patcher that doesn't work with winxp/vista.

And seriously, do you actually believe them moving the supported OS from Winxp to Win7+ or Win10+ will make the game "better"? It's a 18 years old spaggetti monster where most of the original coders have been away from the company for years, and were even the minimum change breaks 10 different unrelated things that cannot be fixed without breaking 10 other things. At this point unless they were to rewrite the code from zero it would make absolutely no sense to "up" the requeriments, quite the opposite actually, it could be detrimental since libraries might have evolved beyond what the original code intended to.

Heck, there are still memory leaks on the task window system 10 years after it was introduced...

----------------------------------------------------------

At this point, what i expect from them is to just go and say "Yes, we are changing the requeriments for the game, we forgot to announce it", not just play dumb and pretend everyone was supposed to know they were going to do it just because they changed the wording of the game specs on some obscure support page.
    Fanra likes this.
  7. Cakekizy New Member

It worked just fine for me after patch. Then suddenly stopped working a day later.
  8. nantalbus Elder

did you not see post #29 on page 2 of this thread where RadarX stated they changed the system req back in 2015 but have been doing their best to make it so some older systems running xp/vista could still run the game. And that they where going try to keep it up as long as it feasible.

as software gets newer and newer its going be hard and harder to keep everything able to run on the older OS after a while it just not going work. But the change was done almost 2 years ago.
  9. Socratic Journeyman

You realize the only thing that doesn't work on old systems is the launchpad right? The thing that basically does the work of a .rar file and puts the new files into your EQ directory. Basically if the devs packaged the files into a .rar and uploaded it to a free file hosting site and gave us the link that would satisfy the requirements of this piece of software. But oh wait... that's really complicated right... we better go upgrade our systems to run this old game... err I mean the cutting-edge launchpad to download patch files for this game.
  10. nantalbus Elder

never said i agreed with what going on. just saying that changing the system req was not something decided just before this patch. the change to system req was done years ago. I personal think that they should have giving a heads up saying that sorry people but with this new change we can't keep all the software able to run on OS older then win7.

What seems to happen was a change to the patcher used newer software that is not ok with older OS. easy fix to me just remove that change or do as you stated or even make a patcher for older OS's
  11. Fellynn2 New Member

While vista and XP currently hold small market share worldwide (6% combined), the percentage of EQ users would undoubtedly be greater because of the age of the game and age of its clientele.

I wouldn't expect a company that develops a game to just throw away even 6% of their revenue, do you really think EQ is that profitable where it would be OK with the directors to do such a thing?

I'm hoping that things get put back into place to allow older OS's to still run the game. I personally run the game on my desktop, which is 10 years old...but I'm sure not spending $129 to upgrade my OS. Hell I have 2 laptops with windows 10, I just prefer to play it on my trusty desktop!

Cmon Daybreak, don't alienate us, would love to keep playing...
    Cakekizy likes this.
  12. Linuxftw New Member

Playonlinux windows is a joke going to probably be subscription based in the near future. Only reason I kept my two machines with xp and Vista was for Eq. I know it can work on Linux people have done it. I will also when I have Abit of time to Tinker with it.
  13. kethrey New Member

Can I make one suggestion to Daybreak When you change the system requirements to maybe post in the patch notes.
    I don't know if they do that now. I don't recall ever seeing it.
  14. Kolosuss New Member

I don't know if it's been said yet or not but, all of you crying over having to update your OS because its expensive need to go do a little research. Windows 10 can be used entirely FREE, Legally from Microsoft. The only limits will be not allowed to change color schemes, and you'll have a small watermark asking you if you'd like to activate windows. Other than that it functions entirely fine. I run it on 2 of my pc's that way currently and haven't paid a dime. It's downloaded from Microsofts own site.
  15. Denladorr New Member

any rough idea when this will fixed?
  16. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

They posted the requirements quite a while ago this may just be the first time XP machines are affected.
  17. Lasii-Rathe New Member

I fail to see the problem, if a operating system hits end of life/support it's time to upgrade. This doesn't seem like much of a thinker, and I'm glad it might lead us to direct x 10/11 maybe someday, those would really repair some of the graphics loading/display issues with 9.0c.

Good on ya daybreak.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  18. sixcer New Member

Just got into the game here (XP user). I used Pissedcustomer's link from pg. 1:

https://mega.nz/#!A1gQiTLA!XfJABdNOA4wB0nzC7PWBOmxl0-Z3_YE5QfmjJXCxW3M

I downloaded the .rar file and copied it to my EverQuest folder. I then installed WinRAR because I apparently had nothing to extract it with:

http://www.win-rar.com/download.html?&L=0

I extracted it directly into my EverQuest folder. It will patch/overwrite (update) the necessary files. I also used the ".../eqgame.exe" patchme trick from this link (because I had never heard of it before and was clueless as to how the hell to get it to work...)

http://articles.eqresource.com/bypasslaunchpad.php

That should buy us slackers some time to get our OS updated, at least me anyways :)

Thanks to those that helped here on the forums
  19. Woredan New Member

Dropping support for XP will not cost DB a dime. In fact it is about time they did so. You people crying about loosing 2 OS's Vista? REALLY? Vista? and XP have been living on borrowed time and YOU knew that. When developers break a legacy OS, it is because they are making use of NEW features of the OS. For those claiming they will move on to new games, well good luck finding any popular game today that supports XP. Bye now.
  20. smash Augur

I am kind of surprised they supported xp so long.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.