Obscure Tips and Tricks

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Trebla7th, Oct 26, 2022.

1. Paladin Augur

As I said, the viewport goes into the top left corner of my screen and is 100% behind my UI windows.

And the rest of my EQ screen does black out (other than the viewport window and UI).

I still need to figure out what X Y = center screen. UPDATE: Figured it out.

I would like this a lot, if I could still see my normal screen and this as a smaller window tucked away in a corner.
  2. OldTimeNewbie Journeyman

That's just because you haven't set the numbers yet. They are described if you type /viewport, but here is the breakdown.

/viewport x0 y0 xs ys

x0 = The offset from the left of the window to where you want the viewport to be. 0 is the left edge of the window.
    y0 = The offset from the top of the window to where you want the viewport to be. 0 is the top edge of the window.
    xs = The X (horizontal) size of the viewport.
    ys = The Y (vertical) size of the viewport

So /viewport 100 200 500 400 would move your viewport 100 pixels right and 200 pixels down, and make it 500 pixels wide and 400 pixels high.

The reason the viewport is behind your UI windows is you have not yet arranged things so that they are not. The idea would be to arrange them around your viewport, wherever you end up putting it.
  3. Paladin Augur

Updated my post. TY.
  4. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Holding ctrl+shift and clicking an item will search bazaar for it. Useful if you are trying to price a ton of items and want to see what current market is looking like.
    CrazyLarth, Winnowyl, Zunnoab and 8 others like this.
  5. Brontus EQ Player Activist

I love this tip! I use it all the time. I just wish the HOME key would work to make us go up while swimming and levitating. :)
    Bobbybick likes this.
  6. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

I just learned of this like 6 months ago or so and is the best ever for us sellers makes resetting prices much faster.
  7. Iven the Lunatic

Waypoint is a young feature so it makes me wonder why you do think that it is an old one. It got introduced a year ago in october the 20th, 2021 during Claws of Veeshan. Voice tells got introduced with the Omens of War release. The feature was called voice macros.

Expansion features
    Pelrond likes this.
  8. Iven the Lunatic

A few reasons why it does not get used:
    • People don't know about it
    • People don't know what the command is doing and how to set the parameters
    • It does produce weird screenshots
    Winnowyl likes this.
  9. Pelrond Elder

Holy crap! I had no idea. This is so useful.
  10. Trebla7th Augur

Another one I remembered...

/usetarget

Interacts with your current target as if you right-clicked on them. Useful in crowded situations so you can "/target <someNpc>" and "/usetarget" to open a merchant window for example.

One year ago is still "sometime in the past 10 years" :) I just knew it was added after House of Thule (when I quit live), then discovered it sometime after returning on TLPs. I didn't realize it was THAT recent, though.
    Winnowyl, Zunnoab and Bobbybick like this.
  11. Ganlaen New Member

Whatever key you have mapped to 'look up' will do this for you. So if you're running around in third person, and need to go down some stairs with levitate on, hold down 'look down' for a few seconds. Then just do the opposite with 'look up' when you want to start levitating (or swimming up) again.
  12. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

To add to this, default are the Page Up / Page Down keys. They work with swimming in 3rd person, too.

Also, it helps to look all the way up when you want to get out of the water and there is a 'lip' at the edge.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  13. Stymie Pendragon

Alt+shift and clicking an item brings up the barter window. I use both to help determine what to do with items I loot that are tradable.
  14. Vumad Cape Wearer

F10 toggles the UI and gives a great view, however, you have to keep toggling to UI so you can see your chats, group health etc.

HOWEVER

If you open options and use the alternate key binds, you can assign your UI components to a single key bind. For instance, you can assign short buffs, long buffs, merc, etc to something like J. With all of these bound to J, pressing J will toggle all of those windows off. Pressing J again will bring them back.

This is a great way to get the scenic F10 view results but instead customizing critical vs non-critical UI toggles.

Note: if you close one of these windows, when pressing J, it would come back, so you need to turn that window back on, but since you used alternate bids, you can Alt+E or whatever to get your UI back in sync.
  15. Vumad Cape Wearer

One of my personal favorites (thank you Metanis)

For hot keys, you can use semi colon to add notations.

/pause 3, /alt act 1234; AA Ability name
    /pause 10, /cast 5; Spell name here

Now when you work on your hotkeys, you know what ability that is or what spell you intended to activate.
    Bigstomp, Trebla7th, Rijacki and 5 others like this.
  16. Zipe The Healer

hehe, I remember some dev saying that the semi colon isn't needed, A command with too much parameters will just ignore the extra parameters and run regardless, so you can use your notations there :p
  17. Szilent Augur

strongly dislike doing this because there isn't a way to "center view" afterward to stop going up / going down.
    Tatanka likes this.
  18. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Yes, there is :)

I use the 5 key on the keypad. Centers the view to be "straight ahead", neither up nor down.

LOL, @Szilent.... meant to reply to your post, not "like". This is a reply to your post
    Thunderkiks and Rijacki like this.
  19. Ganlaen New Member

You can kind of seesaw with the 'look up/look down' buttons until you get it more evened out, but I agree that a single button press that made you run directly along the x-axis in third person again would be preferable.
  20. Nennius Curmudgeon

This possibly the most useful thread in years. Thank you for some great tips.