Obscure Tips and Tricks

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Trebla7th, Oct 26, 2022.

1. Annastasya Augur

The "U" key is one of my favorites. In first person (and what kind of monster would play otherwise?) it opens doors, uses objects in front of you, and gives you clues when there's some hidden trigger or clickable thing in your field of view- you will get "You Cannot Reach That" messages.

Doors in Everquest lose their hit box when in motion, generally, so never wait for them, just hit U and move right through them.
    Elyssanda and Petalonyx like this.
  2. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

# (hash) also works.

If you're used to programming or scripting, both of those notations (semi-colon and hash) are used for comments depending on the language.

With the AA Abilities it helps more than spell slot because the # for the ability is always the same but you can change what is in the slot.

The number for the AA is easy to find. It's in the description for the ability.
    [IMG]

/alt act 511
    This would activate the Throne of Heroes.

If you put "/timer ###" at the top of the macro, it will have a cool-down timer like a direct hotkey of an AA. I don't recall off top of my head what the timer numbers relate to.

With Forage in the 6 slot for abilities, you can forage and toss stuff in your bag (2 for druids and others who get a chance at a second forage):
    /timer 1100
    /pause 3, /stand
    /pause 6, /doability 4
    /pause 6, /autoinventory

Even better, link the hotkey on your bar to the same key you use to 'turn left' and you can autoforage without even thinking about it (or skill it up faster than poking a button when you think of it).
  3. Meeko Developer(Code)

The numbers for /timer are the same as for /pause. They are tenth of a second. For the example you shared, the timer would be 110 seconds.

1 is 1/10th of a second.
    10 is 1 second.
    100 is 10 seconds.
    Elyssanda, Vumad, Rijacki and 2 others like this.
  4. error Augur

/usetarget with the target selected while holding an item on your cursor initiates a trade. No more accidentally initiating trades with random ogres while trying to gear your pet.
  5. matouoli Elder

when using 3rd view (clicking F9 ,,,, 4 times ) if you hold down right click on mouse and while moving your mouse , you can set the camera view you like , i can pull , move forward and can see behind where mobs are at , ect,
    Annastasya likes this.
  6. Zunnoab Augur

Did you know when you cast a spell all that matters is where you were when it started and when it ended? Try getting really tight in a reliable corner and start casting something like Complete Heal or really long port spells/clickies. As long as you get back to your exact location by the time you are done casting, it works.

It's really not exploitable in any way I could think of, but I think it's a neat little detail.
    Iven, Metanis and Tatanka like this.
  7. Vumad Cape Wearer

I didn't know about the timer. I was thinking when I had seen it that is like the alarm.

Will the timer prevent the hotkey from being activated again or is it only a visual cooldown?

Is this the correct format for timer.
    /timer 60, /pause 10, /alt act 5; this is an example
    /pause 20, /cast 5 #Keep ABC spell loaded
    /pause 5, /dance say flexes at %t
    /em waits impatiently for directions.
  8. Zunnoab Augur

It will not prevent it.
  9. Tucoh Augur

This button exists in the camera options (iirc) but you must be fully zoomed in for it to work. I've gotten pretty good at using /follow with my 6boxes underwater thanks to those buttons.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It is visual only and if I remember right it will reset when zoning.
  11. Syylke_EMarr Augur

You can also use ALT+(arrow keys, page up/down) and Home, Insert, and Delete to control the 3rd person camera angels. Depending on which 3rd person view you're in, you can use the controls to look over walls/hills, around things, etc.
    Zunnoab likes this.
  12. Gialana Augur

This is something I'm going to try to remember to do when I want to trade with a character that's in a pile of other characters. That way, I won't have to tell that character to move.
    Fanra likes this.
  13. Gialana Augur

I've accidentally liked a post before. However, it's possible to remove your like, if you want. After liking a post, the like button changes to unlike. You could even edit your post to add the reply to Szilent's post.
    Tatanka likes this.
  14. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Yeah, I knew I could "unlike" it, but wasn't sure if that's reported to the user, and I wasn't trying to be harsh, and didn't want to ruffle any feathers :)

Should have done the edit to include the quote/reply, though. That's a good suggestion.
  15. Cadira Augur

This only works if you're in first person tho, and only noobs use first person! Assuming this is default home key command, and there's not something else I don't know about.
  16. Shillingworth Augur

Not true. If you hit your look-up or look-down keys while in 3rd person views, the character will still look-up and look-down. I use that a lot with my boxes purely because I don't have to zoom them into 1st person to adjust their pitch.
    Zunnoab likes this.
  17. Treeconix Elder

/tar #

Will target any named that is up near you. Useful when grinding without a tracker or in instances where nameds have a change to spawn like LDON. A guild mate taught me this trick awhile back.
    Vumad, Brontus, Sprooce and 1 other person like this.
  18. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Perhaps. I'm usually in 3rd person, but stopped doing the "F9 three or four times" method years ago. I have a mouse with a free-spinning mouse wheel, and can swap between 1st person and 3rd person almost instantly, so I spin quickly to 1st person, hit "5" on the pad (or use right-click to aim where I want) and then spin to zoom out again.
    Winnowyl, Stymie and Cadira like this.
  19. Cadira Augur

I don't think you read what I was saying. I was saying you cant use the home key "center view" button while scrolled out. I know look up and down work while in third person.
  20. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

I think timer still needs to be on a line of its own. I haven't tried it otherwise but every reference still notes it being on its own line.

It's visual, but if you click the button before it times down, it does not reset the timer. You can use the timer for the long recast item in the macro while having quicker recast/use items without affecting your visual for the long recast 'ready'.

The macro I have for forage with auto-inventory linked to my left turn key drops anything on my cursor into my inventory every time I use my left arrow key which is handy, too, for when there is a mass cast of a summoned item, too, but less handy if I reposition after picking an item from my inventory to give to someone or to place in housing.
    Elyssanda likes this.