Obscure Tips and Tricks

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Trebla7th, Oct 26, 2022.

1. Szilent Augur

no it isn't. That's a kludgy way to let other characters know that the macro thinks it's done. A line like that doesn't indicate anything about whether the commands executed.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  2. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

While that is true technically, we have taken the discussion into a vacuum.

We aren't in some whack-a-mole game, heads down in the buttons are we?

There are plenty of other forms of feedback from the game to verify your macro executed.
  3. Szilent Augur

:movinggoalpost.gif:
  4. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

???

No. No they're not.

In a thread asking for tips, in my estimation, discussing the details and restrictions of macros is more helpful than saying "Don't use them (they are bad)".

Pointing out you have plenty of feedback to know your macro executed, beyond staring at a button's visual indication, is right on point with, you know, discussing the use of a macro.

</shrug>
    Tatanka and Skuz like this.
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Pedantry

Anyone with a brain tests their macros anyway.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  6. Iven the Lunatic

Macro for noobs

7. Szilent Augur

when you make a claim that is false "one thing indicates another", it is not pedantry to call that statement false.

if one tests one's macros in some other fashion, and is confident by those other means that it is completing, then the social message is extraneous.

the claim is false.
  8. Zunnoab Augur

Please don't derail the thread with "my way is better" irrelevant arguing.
    Elyssanda, Roxas MM, Windance and 4 others like this.
  9. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

I acknowledged that a social message is not sufficient to be certain of execution.

I never added the /say line in my example as a way of indicating that. I just did it to be funny while giving an example of the use of /timer.

I will say, way back in the day, we did indeed put a /say line at the end of a macro, if there was an available line, usually for flavor, or for an ENCH to tell which mob they have mezzed.

And I'm not talking about testing your macro and being done with it either. I am constantly watching the execution of the spell I'm casting, or the dam/buff/debuff icon refresh on the mob, or particle effects, or sounds, that are all feedback in real time that my macro is working as intended.

Sometimes I note a change and edit my macro, on the fly, to add some pause for increased lag, for example.

I also pointed out I rarely use /timer, and others have pointed out it's usage is limited.

You've really added nothing to the discussion by trying to tear down the comments that were made.

And you aren't proving any point to score points in my book.
    Skuz likes this.
  10. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I agree - stop please. You two can take it to private tells and leave the forum clean for the rest of us.