Obscure Tips and Tricks

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Trebla7th, Oct 26, 2022.

1. Zunnoab Augur

It doesn't have to be its own line.
    Skuz, Gialana and MasterMagnus like this.
  2. Gialana Augur

Like Zunnoab already replied, /timer doesn't need to be alone on the first line. However, you can't put a timer, a pause, and a command on the same line. I think this is why people say the timer needs to be alone on the first line. Unless the command you put on the same line as the timer is instant, the second line of your macro won't run.
  3. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Correct.
    The restrictions for /timer are identical to /pause
    -It must be the first command (before comma) And it will execute after the second command.
    -You may only have a /timer or /pause as the first command in a line with two commands.
    Skuz and Gialana like this.
  4. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Hmmm.... If it doesn't need to be on 1st line, then could /timer be on the last light after the previous line has a pause?
  5. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

I believe so if I understand your question. I can't test myself right now.
    But I believe this should work.

/pause 3,/disc Cool Thing
    /pause 3,/disc More Awesome Sauce
    /pause 3,/disc Forage A Thing
    /pause 12,/autoinv
    /timer 4,/say I did a cool thing with sauce and foraged!
    Vumad and Gialana like this.
  6. Gialana Augur

Like MasterMagnus replied, you can put /timer on the last line. However, the hotbutton will not gray out until the macro reaches that line, so that may be of limited use.
    Rijacki and MasterMagnus like this.
  7. Annastasya Augur

Oh yeah, this also my secret for taking good screenshots. By holding down the mouse key from this view, and either pivoting the mouse, or rolling it straight up and down you can get the camera in a huge variety of spots. I learned this playing around with the free placement mode (Shift+X) in the yard/house.
  8. Iven the Lunatic

It does activate the standard camera position but it does make the PC to look down a bit which is problematic for the use of levi and screenshots. It is not a neutral vertical position.

That is a great practical advice and it definetly does work. It does grant us the information that the spell casting code for the movement factor is based on a simple "/location" checksum with a small tolerance range which got not added to the bard class.
  9. Gialana Augur

It's possible most people know this, but I'll through it out just in case.

At a merchant, when you click a stackable item then buy, it brings up a slider window where you can select up to the maximum single buy size (not necessarily the maximum stack size, anymore). But you can bypass the slider window by holding shift or ctrl when clicking buy. Holding ctrl buys 1 of the item, and holding shift buys the maximum single buy size.

Selling to a merchant works in a similar way. Clicking a stack of items in your inventory and holding ctrl while you hit sell sells 1 item from the stack. Holding shift will sell the entire stack, which can be more than the maximum you could buy with a single buy click.

Picking up stacks from your inventory works the same way as selling to a merchant. Holding ctrl and clicking a stack will put one on your cursor. Holding shift puts the entire stack on your cursor.
    Rijacki and Svann2 like this.
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

^This.

In practical use I found it super-annoying to activate a hot button & it does not indicate it was activated until the macro reached it, so then I put the /timer as the very first thing on every macro I made.
    Also bear in mind that having timer first means the hot button will more accurately reflect when it has refreshed instead of having a delay of the total of any pauses prior to the timer command.
    Rijacki and Gialana like this.
  11. Szilent Augur

If there is any delay in reaching the timer, that means the macro is vulnerable to being interrupted. Putting the timer first will then not positively indicate that all lines of the macro have executed, since those same abilities that could be interrupted before getting a last-line timer can now be interrupted after the timer starts.

tl;dr: macros are bad, m'kay
  12. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

<Rod Serling>In a world that doesn't actually exist.
    You're feeling alone in the wildernerness,
    with nothing but an archaic scripting language to control your fate.
    Consider this usage case...</Rod Serling>

Seriously though. Do we really need to use /timer to block that button out for the whole time it is on cooldown?
    Do you need to know when it's available, or are you just mashing it anyway?
    Do you need to know if it triggered and that's all?
    Could you set an audio trigger to do the same thing (ding when an button is Available)?

I avoid the /timer command for the most part. That is just my usage, it may be very usefull for some. Sometimes I will have the first line of a full 5 line macro start with /timer 2 or /timer 4, just to give a quick flash visual that the macro is triggering.

I don't like monkey mash buttons either, but at the end of the day, it may be better to multi-bind everything and hit that one or two keys with regularity. Avoiding the disadvantages of /timer.
  13. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

I mostly use Timer on long refresh items where I also use a /g or /em for flavour or communication and may or may not have other items in the macros. Yes, it does help to know when my AA mez is 'available' even though I don't use it often in my current group make up (I play a bard and the group has an enchanter as well). Yes, I could just have the AA hotkey, but then I wouldn't be able to tell the group at the same time that %T is mezzed. It also helps to have an attack off in that macro, too, before casting the mez :)
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  14. Bigstomp Augur

It would be nice if there was a way to specify if a command failed (rez aa failed, your timer has been reset) to not have the timer show as used.

But I agree, seeing some things on cooldown visually that I also want to attach something like a /g Message to is very handy.
    Rijacki and MasterMagnus like this.
  15. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Perhaps on your rig. For me, it's dead straight ahead.
  16. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I've mentioned this before but better than /timer for most things would be a way to set the button to stay down until a spell/ability is ready again.
    MasterMagnus and Nennius like this.
  17. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

That wouldn't work for a macro with more than one skill/ability/spell.
  18. Brontus EQ Player Activist

My favorite emote and animation is /fistbump or /fist. It gives you a cool fist bump animation.

You can target players, NPCs and pets and they will do a fist bump with you. :)
    Svann2 likes this.
  19. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

It would if the command included which skill/ability/spell you want the key to stay down for. I've outlined this in a previous feedback post.

For example, if your social is:

/pause 5, /disc Curse of Fifteen Strikes
    /disc Buffering of Fists
    /doability 2
    /doability 1

It could instead be:

/pause 5, /disc Curse of Fifteen Strikes
    /pause 5, /disc Buffering of Fists, /depressdisc Buffering of Fists
    /doability 2
    /doability 1

The button would now stay down until the timer for Buffering of Fists is ready.
    Rijacki likes this.
  20. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

That's why testing your macros matters, it's also wise to put instant-trigger abilities between those with pauses, makes it simpler to spot what needs adjusting, adding a /say to the end of last line as Magnus showed above is another way to check if the macro is cycling through every command line as it should.

I do use a non-macro spam-bar for fast recycling combat abilities, macros are very useful for things like Disc-combinations that you are not triggering on a constant basis but they are no good for spam-type stuff.
    MasterMagnus likes this.