Windowed gameplay

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by uberkingkong, Jul 12, 2022.

1. uberkingkong Augur

Please make it better, we have 64 bit, should not be issue anymore.
    How to recreate issues.
    1. Go AFK for 20 minutes while in windowed gameplay > Disconnected and sent to login page
    2. While in windowed mode, go alt tab, launch another game > EQ crashes

Windowed mode needs to be better, please make it better its 2022.
  2. Wobat New Member

I've never experienced those problems.

Maybe the issue is on your end?
    Bigstomp, Fenthen, Aanuvane and 5 others like this.
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

<snicker>;)
  4. A_ranger001 Journeyman

I've never encountered either of those issues. Heck, I've completely forgotten I was logged in for over 24 hours and was still logged in.
    minimind likes this.
  5. Laronk Augur

I haven't everquest played in full screen in a very very very long time, (maybe 2005?) even before I had dual monitors. This is on several different computers over the years with different builds and separate fresh installs. I can AFK, I can minimize eq no problem.

Now there is a bug in EQ for your number 2, if something happens to the resolution of the screen that EQ is on it can crash EQ so if I am farming something and going afk a lot and playing league of legends, warzone or COD at the same time I just run that in windowed mode as well (full screen borderless windowed mode)

Changing your sound output on your computer can crash EQ ( i have a workaround for the sound one though because my bluetooth headset would go into power saving mode then EQ would crash)
  6. The real Sandaormo Augur

Thought you said Widowed Gameplay, was going to offer my condolences.

I have never not played in Windowed mode, ease of clicking out to a browser or parser or another toon is way better in windowed.
    minimind likes this.
  7. Loup Garou De loop de loop

Sounds to me like he has "go to sleep in 20 minutes" activated on his computer
    ChiiChii, Dre., Yinla and 1 other person like this.
  8. Act of Valor The Newest Member

this sentence made me laugh. do you work for daybreak on everquest? do you want to apply for a job?
  9. Svann2 The Magnificent

Just for you:
    - The client will now always launch in windowed mode rather than fullscreen.
  10. Paladin Augur

I have always played windowed mode, I just resize the EQ Screen to take up the whole screen.

Once you get it set to the size you want, it stays that size (an no UI problems because of everchanging window sizes).

Makes it easier to check EQ web sites when I need to and it was Windowed Mode that was causing me issues (such as when windowing out).

However, all this does is start EQ in windowed mode, it does not prevent to changing to Full Screen after you are logged in.
  11. Shillingworth Augur

I dunno. I regularly get distracted and don't remember I have EQ open until I log back in from my lock screen. Survives that just fine. Maybe STR every 20 min? I don't remember EQ having trouble when I used STR.
  12. Juzam_Djinn Elder

neither of these have happened to me. however i have had the game completely close a few times when i turned the screensaver on.
  13. Bigstomp Augur

Fix your configuration. This is not an EQ issue.
    I spend hours at times in windowed gameplay while afk. (my poor tribute)
    Nennius and CatsPaws like this.
  14. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Agree, I also play in windowed mode and go afk in lobby for long periods of time and never disconnect. I also alt tab to other sites sites and games and never crash. Someone else mentioned a second account that would crash but never had that either.

So many of the issues in the game are not due to the game. When I had sleep mode or screen saver activated though I would find myself back at log in screen. I just turned them both off and that took care of that.

Right now I am fighting a windows defender file that runs amock and hogs all the cpu. When that happens the game stutters, slows down and fails to respond. So I just turn off defender, restart computer, turn defender back on and all is well. I do not file bug reports that the game is stuttering or lag or not responding. I know its my computer.

How in the world do you run a trader? Only in offline mode?
    Nennius and minimind like this.
  15. Bigstomp Augur

Have windows defender exclude your EQ log directory help alot.
    In theory it's just text files EQ is writing, and gina or whatever you have reading it, so should be safe.
  16. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

If your on a TLP server they disconect after X amount of time being AFK.

If your launching another game it could be your comp using the same resources as EQ and not able to handle it.

I have a bad habit of tabing out to do something and forgetting I'm logged in until hours later, only time I have ever been disconnected was when I was on a TLP server.
  17. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Thank you but its not defender scanning/reading EQ. It is the MsMpEng.exe Antimalware Service Executable which is is a Windows system task that’s run by Windows Automatic Maintenance (not a user-scheduled task) and is a known problem that it ramps up and gets stuck scanning its own folder and runs amuck.

It is very random, maybe once a month or so and easy to fix. I tried all the fixes advised online but in Windows 8.1 it is a little more difficult.
  18. Zunnoab Augur

That's like saying "It's not EverQuest it's eqgame.exe."

That is part of Windows Defender.
  19. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Yes it is part of Windows defender and I am sure it is scanning EQ and whatever other programs I am using.

But it will eat up CPU usage even when EQ is not running because it gets stuck.

https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/w...ice-executable-why-is-it-high-cpu-disk-usage/
    https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-high-cpu-usage-by-antimalware-service-executable-msmpeng/
    https://www.maketecheasier.com/disable-antimalware-service-executable-process/

I was just offering the OP an idea of what might be causing his issues - high CPU usage. I have no need for my posts to have troubleshooting done, but thank you all.
  20. Loup Garou De loop de loop

You should have just stayed with your first post: