Update on Server Merges + FAQ

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by dreamweaver, Apr 29, 2020.

1. lockjaws Augur

Downtime continues. Check back tomorrow, folks. Sorry.
  2. tonponbo New Member

So yall just cant give us a time when the servers will be back up and running? this makes no sense.
  3. dreamweaver Community Manager

We cannot, sorry. If I could I would.
    Yinla likes this.
  4. Sinack New Member

I just want to know if its worth waiting up. its 2:25am where I am at. Lots of people in game chat are talking about going else where due to all the excessive downtime. I just came back 2weeks ago and talked my mom and sister into also playing. I beta tested this with my stepdad when I was 9. Then my whole family played for 6 years. After 15 years, we have finally returned. We are all 3 paying for membership already. But since we've been back, servers have been down twice. Is this any indication how the future of this game is going to be like? I love this game, but transparency is key. Its better to give yourself more time than you know you'll need, rather than extending the wait time 3+ times. Many players anxiously wait for the times you post, only to be smacked in the face with another extension. Just to end up being smacked with a statement of no current ETA on servers coming back up. I hope things get figured out and that you all are able to iron out all the wrinkles that are causing all these setbacks. I just pray this doesn't kill the potential come back for this game. Quarantine was the best thing that could have happened for this game to get many return players and new players in general. 3 of my friends have started playing and are paying membership as well. There is a lot of potential for the future of this game. All I'm asking is that this team don't screw this up. The game is amazing and very nostalgic. I'd hate to see it finally hit an imminent downfall after running for so long. In the end I will try to stay loyal and ride out this dark period that this game seems to be having lately. take it easy and thank you for your time.
  5. Dracolindus Journeyman

It sometimes seems like the expectation from people is that EQ should never experience downtime. Honestly I'm surprised it isn't down far more often than it is. The reason it isn't is because of the hard work that the development team puts into the game.
    I'm no Daybreak apologist. However, to keep this game running, maintenance like this is necessary. When it comes to timelines, theyre damned if they do and damned if they don't in terms of communicating forecasting an ETA.
    They have been very forthcoming during this patch and server merge, but I'm starting to think that they would have been better off keeping silent until the servers were back up.
    The fact is, no matter how they handle it, making everyone happy is impossible. I assure you, no one wants the servers up more than they do. We should just cut them some slack, be patient, and try to understand and empathize with the necessity of the work theyre doing.
  6. Amaryah New Member

I think the mark EQ devs miss on every single patch is "underpromise and overdeliver". If they'd tell people it is going to be a 2 day patch and manage to get it back up in 24 hours, everyone would be thrilled. Instead, they leave us hanging every single patch with extensions of estimated downtime and no true explanation.
    We get it. They care about the game and stuff comes up. But if your downtime is double or more of estimated every single patch, maybe it's time to acknowledge that your estimation isn't working and come up with a new plan.
  7. Lycinia New Member

First off, this situation sucks. But I'm sure that's true on both ends.
    As a customer, I just wanna play. I imagine those working want to get this over with. I'm sure they have things they'd rather do... like sleep.
    Secondly, it is a business, they need to pay the bills. Unless this is the lowest grade conspiracy ever, like saving money on electricity,I have to imagine they are trying their off. There are a lot of folk about business practice, offering half advice. Perhaps you should apply for a job, you clearly have the time, maybe you are the missing piece.
    Beyond that, Dreamweaver, much love. These boards feel like a "shoot the messenger and ask questions later" kinda place. Much love for you, and a wild amount of respect too. I've kept an eye on this (and the last batch of down times as well.) I imagine you're just board manager, and you're probably quite tired. If not literally, then likely at least in the sense of being shot at from both sides. I can only see this side... but God do I not envy you. However, I respect the hell out of you.
    Hope things are back up and running soon.

PS: soon please?
    PPS: Dreamweaver you might be outside the cage, but you're in charge of this circus. And went things aren't going right, I'd hate to be you.
  8. Zee_Rex Journeyman

I fully expect downtime but this is ridiculous. I get that it's old technology and they have a small staff but when the same things happen repeatedly like this (especially on Mangler) I have to wonder if they're trying to fix anything long term, or just applying band-aid fixes until the game goes to hang out with Asheron's Call in the Great Beyond.
  9. Immawuss New Member

Dang this blows we just want to play :(
  10. Sinack New Member

I am sorry if my earlier statement sounded a bit demanding or rude. I do expect there to be downtimes. I just don't remember it ever being this excessive long ago. However I am not pulling my membership. I understand that revenue for the game is what helps keep it alive, and I wish to be able to play this game for many years ahead. Maybe it was just bad timing on my part when I chose to come back to be experiencing these consistent shut downs. I will say this, I do support and am confident that the employees of EQ are working hard to keep it up and running. I also do appreciate their efforts to add content and celebratory events. So please don't misunderstand my earlier post, I do understand that downtimes will happen. It will not stop me from continuing to advertise this game on my own to bring fresh players. As I would love nothing more than to see a great come back for this game because the game itself is worth it. I know me getting a couple people here and there to come play really probably has no effect in the grand scheme of things. But I like to try and do my part to try help ensure the longevity of this game continues. Keep up the great work. Again, thank you for your time.
  11. A player New Member

I wish there was a way to revert the patch and server changes then deploy them at a later date.
  12. dreamweaver Community Manager

As noted in the update, that would take longer than pushing through.
    Yinla likes this.
  13. Rippy New Member

Dreamweaver it look like we getting close? or should I go to bed? =P
  14. Frank New Member

Turn off test server too!
  15. Fian Augur

Issues happen, but it seems like the approach to server updates is poor and needs improvement in the future.

1. You shouldn't lump all servers together. You should have separated down times for servers undergoing merges and those that aren't. There is no reason everyone should have an extended downtime.
    2. You mentioned that you couldn't test this in advance. That needs to change. You should have a test instance that can be a copy of any server. This is database 101. It would help not only with testing server merges, but also with rolling out patches. I can't think of any other software company that doesn't test a migration before rolling it out to production.
  16. Sinack New Member

They're doing their best to get the servers up and running. You must remember, it is under new management and things will be trial and error for awhile. They will get better at addressing issues as I am sure the entire team are getting used to new changes. Things will improve in time, as will the approach. I am off to bed. I hope everyone gets some good rest, and I hope the employees of EQ figure these issues out. After all, it is just a game, yet I am sure they're working tirelessly to figure it out. More than likely just as frustrated, if not more than the rest of us. Keep up the great work. I have faith things will start running more smoothly with less and less downtime as we move forward.
  17. Velikovsky New Member

Please god do not let this be revenge for sunsetting Brad's other game "Vanguard".
  18. Deathcomestoall Lorekeeper

dreamweaver, I am a little shocked no one has asked you, How many hamsters have died in the making of this patch? XD
  19. dreamweaver Community Manager

I've necro'd about 10, I've named all of them I can't lose them.
    Jein-ko, Sancus, Yinla and 3 others like this.
  20. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

It is kinda fitting that during the patch to revamp Necromancers that even the hardware could not contain the awesomeness of the data contained within.

We shall not be forgetting this momentous occasion any time soon.
    code-zero and dreamweaver like this.