19th Anniversary requires RoS.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Funk, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Funk Augur

I'm gonna have to say this was a bad decision. Requiring the latest expansion to participate in 19th anniversary missions....none of which are in an RoS zone that I've seen yet.

Let's use the new black pearl as an example also, level 75-110 but there isn't level 75 content in RoS so it shouldn't be required to do the mission in my opinion. Plus the mission is in Dreadspire, a zone in a level 70 expansion.

So people who may want to wait till they are 105 and ready to move up to RoS to purchase that expansion (which I think is a smart move) are excluded from 19th anniversary activities.

While I do have RoS on one account this absolutely solidifies my decision to not purchase it on any of my 14 other accounts. Good day sir or madame!
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  2. Maedhros High King

I think it's a great idea. Incentive to buy the expansion.
    You do understand that Daybreak wants to make money right?
  3. Funk Augur

Oh I understand and want them to thrive.

However, what about all the level 75-100 or so people who can't even step foot in RoS due to difficulty level...even if they had bought the expansion.

Those people are expected to buy an expansion before they are even leveled and prepared for it?
    I'd say there are many people playing content pre-RoS trying to get to a point where they may decide to purchase it.
    But excluding those people from new anniversary content isn't a great way to push that expansion.
    Yinla and Xianzu_Monk_Tunare like this.
  4. Millianna Augur

If DBG wants to make money than they can do so through legitimate practices - sell us an expansion we want to consume. Requiring the new expansion to complete old content is a predatorial practice and has no business in a MMO.
  5. Warpeace Augur

So if you don't want the expansion you don't want the bonus loots for the 19th. Stop complaining about any and everything.
    fransisco and IblisTheMage like this.
  6. Millianna Augur

Go out and do your research. A perfect example is Destiny 2 - the entire franchise might be dead because of similar practices. Whoever the staff of DBG reports to is not their customers. We are the customers, and if they don’t want to produce content we want to consume than this game is just another dead corpse floating in the water.
  7. Warpeace Augur

If you didn't buy the current expansion you didn't want the current loots. Why are you complaining?
  8. Funk Augur

The loots from anniversary group missions should not be tied to purchasing an expansion.
    Do any of them occur in an RoS zone? No
    Is the new aug required 106 / rec 110? No it's 75-110
    Does placing a tent in your yard require RoS? No
    They don't qualify as current loots from RoS, they were just introduced for the 19th anniversary.
    Yinla and Xianzu_Monk_Tunare like this.
  9. Warpeace Augur

Well guess if you had the expansion you could use them then right? Nothing wrong with requiring people to have the current expansion to get the new free stuff.
  10. Xoner Baby Joesph Sayer

Forum Quest is not a place for rationality and maturity, sir. Consider all of the snively belly-aching you're depriving yourself of! Pray that one day you don't look back on this moment and reflect on the salty tantrum that could have been.
  11. Febb Augur

Daybreak needs to make free content that takes months to create, test and deploy.

[IMG]
  12. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

There is no reason for them to have made anniversary tasks/missions which require the newest expansion. Especially, when the missions in question are scalable to level 70.

There is nothing right or justifiable about requiring people to have bought the newest expansion to take part in Anniversary events. It's a horrible marketing plan, as it will push more players away, not encourage them to buy the new expansion. It punishes those who are new to the game or have not reached the level range in which they are even capable of considering going to the new expansion. It punishes those who simply don't have the money to buy the new expansion. It punishes those who already own the expansion by preventing them from doing these anniversary missions with their friends who have not bought the expansion for any of the above reasons.

If Daybreak does not want to make free content for everyone for the anniversary then they should just not have done anything new at all. It would not be the first time that we didn't get anything new for an Anniversary or only got very basic simple things. Several years worth of the modern missions were ones which players created in the span of a FanFaire, so we know that creating them doesn't need to take months, testing before the week they go on test is fairly limited, and deploying again does not take months; it is more like weeks than months. Additionally, there are tons of people who have a subscription, but have not bought the expansion. The subscriptions generate far more money than the expansions do per year, so it would make more sense to have tied it to having an active subscription than to owning RoS.

All that said, I am leaning towards the idea that it was a mistake, hopefully.
    Funk likes this.
  13. Xoner Baby Joesph Sayer

I don't understand why Taco Bell has to punish me by not giving me free tacos. Don't they know that not everybody can afford tacos?

Furthermore, they punish my friends who bought tacos - because now we can't eat tacos together because I'm unable/unwilling to buy tacos myself.

WE THE PEOPLE are entitled to tacos, regardless of whether or not we pay for them! Making people pay for products is bad marketing!

P.S. My mentality of "I should receive the free benefits of products that others labored and were paid to produce" may or may not extend beyond tacos.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  14. Funk Augur

I think you need to read the post again, this isn't about entitlement. It's about no single previous anniversary task has required you to have bought the most recent expansion.

In this case the current expansion is only for players 106-110. Does this represent 100% of the EQ population? No it does not. This is just a new tactic to hopefully get more income, nothing more.

So a group of friends got together on Sunday to do anniversary stuff. A level 100 group, to acquire a new augment with a level requirement of 75 on it. Only one of those 6 players had the RoS expansion. Upon request we were denied the mission. Wow...uhh let me read why...oh because players 1-5 don't have the required expansion. do you guys wanna get the expansion for a 5ac 150hp upgrade on your charm aug? When you are months away from thinking about RoS. The answer again is no.

Hey if you're gonna do it make the aug 106 required...so without the expansion you can't even use it.
  15. Funk Augur

To add to my previous post.
    Getting the group together, buffing, talking about the mission we were about to do. Getting excited about doing said mission.....denied. I'm pretty sure this is the first thread bringing this to light, and I believe it needs to be addressed.
  16. Critts Augur

But you can still eat last year’s tacos.
  17. Dreadmore Augur

It's not a prescribed pattern as far as I know. DBG can do what they want.

"Nothing more"? I don't think getting more income is something to shrug off lightly. I'd love to get more income myself!

As far as levels go, the Ring of Scale expansion just raises your level cap--it doesn't force all your characters to be level 106 or above. I have the expansion on my account but have level 85 characters on it.
  18. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Level requirements and expansion needed are not linked - there are level 105 usable items from RoS too.

I did not know (nor expect) that you'd need RoS for the latest Anniversary missions, yes. It's news to me, yes.
    But i am already thinking about getting this one for my ALTs only next year at the soonest anyways;
    perhaps that'd be something for you too: look forward to do this mission next year when "you are there" and meet the prerequisites?
    Funk likes this.
  19. Zamiam Augur

aye, there will be an anniv next year . also RoS should come up for sale around oct nov for half off to promote the next expansion so by next anniv you can acquire RoS and do it next year
  20. Funk Augur

But tell me...why would someone at say level 85 buy RoS? What can they do in that expansion? Absolutely nothing, till they are not only 105 but also should do previous expansion arcs to make sure their character is ready for RoS.

So yes it does raise the level cap but to an average player who's around 85-100 why should they waste money on the expansion? For a tent and a 5ac 150hp + some heroics upgrade to a charm aug? Answer is they shouldn't....it's a waste of money till they are ready to enter said expansion.