Can you box on Phin now?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Dabrixmgp, Mar 8, 2017.

1. nagash101 Augur

That is how you box on Phinigel. 4 separate computer each with a keyboard and mouse. i upgrade my computer every couple of years and i have kept the older ones around. getting 1 to 6 computer up and running isn't very hard or costly. it might be if you are still living in your moms basement and eating her food. If you are using the software that shall not be named and it is allowing you to run more then one instance of EQ on a single computer i hope they catch you and ban you. If you are referring to the VPN tunnel thing that will not help you run multiple instances of the client on a machine. If you aren't talking about the VPN tunnel or the software that must not be named i would love to hear about the exploit you know about and hopefully have reported to DBGs.
  2. Ethereal Augur

3. Hdizzle Augur

Just google it : )

I was defending the fact you have to use old pc's and go through the extra work to box on phinny in the first place, its kinda lame you cant just box normally like every other server. I'm sure you'd rather play on one pc vs 4 right?
  4. Astley Augur

For that true nostalgia feel... true-box is the way we all did it back in 2000.
  5. nagash101 Augur

Nope i wouldnt want to alt tab between my toons.
  6. Dabrixmgp Augur

[IMG]

brb firing up 24 accounts.
  7. nagash101 Augur

:)
  8. Accipiter Old Timer

I'd say you are wrong. The cheaters? Sure. The vast majority of Phinny boxers, no.
  9. ZappedBoys Lorekeeper

I'd be happy with the new server having a box limit on a single PC instead of only one per pc. I shouldn't have to extend my desk if I want to box. I don't even really do it for farming, it's just a nice option to have if you are doing something and can't commit to a group.

Off Topic but still Pro-Boxing, As it is right now I'm getting groups of people in my exp groups on my new character just afking and soaking EXP while you are forced to do everything from Loot window management to pulling even if you are a paper bag caster. I'd rather be able to box at this point, play 2-4 characters more optimally than people play one(while doing something else, this is by tabbing btw LOL) and not have to deal with the headache of having people in groups who don't do anything.

I understand EQ is a low APM game but the leveling crowd really puts me off and actually makes me want to box.
  10. Accipiter Old Timer

Dunno why you want to turn every thread into your own personal soapbox.
    Illusory and Ethereal like this.
  11. Mashef Augur

Except this is like 100% false. You can box with multiple machines and 1 mouse/keyboard. There is plenty of windows software that allows one mouse/keyboard to control multiple PC's..it's not even remotely a game altering mod and not something that can be enforced to be kept of your machine..it isn't specific to EQ as it actually serves purposes for people outside of the game.
  12. Mowens Elder

As a boxer, I consider that not playing legit, but then again I don't use any of those methods to box. I do it the nitty gritty way, the old school way. :cool:
  13. Ethereal Augur

[IMG]
  14. Illusory Augur

I'm starting to believe that most of you guys claiming to box legitimately are full of bologna. All I see are claims, chatter, and folks quick to turn threads inside out... Yet, there's no proof even when requested. It'd take 1 minute to provide proof, but still there is none... Tsk tsk.

You're assuming screen sharing software is okay to use without an official response. Moreover, no where in the rules does it state in plain text that it's an acceptable practice. I would urge caution and use screen sharing software at your own risk.

Personally, I think it's borderline cheating and if you are caught using screen sharing applications on Phinny, they'll probably issue you a suspension or ban depending on how you're using it. This is because if you are not physically at the machine, it would be considered unattended game play. Phinigel is labeled 'true-box' which means controlling your characters at the physical computers. It's not labeled a 'screen sharing box' server.

Typically with these type of threads folks always try to include this point... "Use screen sharing! It's safe to use and DBG can't tell either way!"

You'd be wrong again... The eq.exe client has code to scan your list of running services, applications, and probably any open tcp/ip connections on your machine. And, this has been confirmed. My assumption as to why people are not banned right away is also easy...They don't monitor everyone at all times. However, if you are under investigation, this monitoring is at their disposal. I've also sent DBG a few emails on the matter and I've never received a, 'yes, screen sharing is okay to use when playing multiple characters on Phinigel.' They've always responded with, 'we handle activity like that on a case by case basis.' Which is safe to assume that they will watch you and determine if you are cheating - if you're ever reported for suspicious activity.
  15. Kahna Augur

You assume they care. They don't. So long as your activity is not disruptive, and you aren't obviously spending multiple commands to multiple computers simultaneously DBG does not care if you screen share or remote desktop or whatever. It's not worth their time to bother with a 2,3 or 4 boxer who is still using 4 separate computers. I mean, even with screen sharing, or remote desktop, you are still only in control of one computer at a time, which is all DBG cares about.

They got rid of box armies, they got rid of sending one command to more than one computer, the people stopped complaining. Problem solved. However you play beyond that, they couldn't care less about. Until people start complaining, but since it is pretty much impossible in game to tell the difference between someone who is screen sharing or remote desktopping and someone who isn't, there aren't going to be any complaints.
  16. Galdous Augur

They should care. They set up a server trying to have a middle grounds for boxing and to thin bot armies but most boxers are poopooing on the middle ground using illegal means to circumvent the rules and stream/use third party programs to box which is cheating.

That is why the new server needs to be more tightly reigned in because you cannot give 99% of people an inch and not expect them to take a mile in the day and age of RMT/cheating/botting.
  17. GeeLock New Member

Maybe if 99% of the people are taking more than an inch, DBG ought to accommodate them instead of worrying about the 1%.
  18. Galdous Augur

You are right. Maybe if Daybreak would accomodate cheating with a ban it would help clear the air.
  19. AgentofChange Augur

Ya ban 99% of the playerbase, that'll show em!
  20. Numiko Augur

I 4 box on phinny with 4 pc's and 4 box on live with one, and I actually enjoy using the 4 PC's over alt tabbing.

Not really sure why, maybe its a nostalgia thing or that i can see all 4 characters at once?
    nagash101 likes this.