Can you box on Phin now?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Dabrixmgp, Mar 8, 2017.

1. nagash101 Augur

I do the same and i feel the same way.
  2. Illusory Augur

I will agree that their staff probably won't go actively searching for players using screen sharing... However, you shouldn't say that they don't care. Essentially, the message I get from their approach is basically don't be a dummy about it.
  3. Accipiter Old Timer

I think he's assuming software K/M is okay to use (Synergy, etc.).

Edit: I use Synergy. My desk is pretty cramped. I have a mouse on my shaman PC but it's inconvenient to get to due to space. So if I need to click a hotkey to change a spell set or whatever, I mouse over to the shaman PC via Synergy to click the hotkey. Is that cheating? Game breaking? Also, when I go to town to sell it's a lot more convenient to use the main keyboard and mouse. It's a convenience, nothing more.
  4. Accipiter Old Timer

Plus with 4 keyboards you rarely run off to pull with the cleric. ;)
    Chatoyan likes this.
  5. nagash101 Augur

not true, i have done that. it makes for a messy pull. :)
  6. Numiko Augur

dumbest thing I have done was while boxing was when i was camping my group out I had my enchanter who had a charmed pet .. camp out first........ .:eek:
    code-zero and Hdizzle like this.
  7. Accipiter Old Timer

LOL. I can't say I've done that but I've come close.

Not a boxing story but related... Years ago I was playing with a cleric friend. We were discussing strategy on a tough named when he pulled a Leroy Jenkins and rushed in. I let him die (of course). Turns out his cat stepped on his keyboard.
    Hdizzle likes this.
  8. Hdizzle Augur

Props to yas, but you're both insane Lol
  9. Strawberry Augur

Are you trolling? 4 keyboards and mice? No one boxes like that, you can just get a USB switch that responds to a keyboard number and switches the PC, hell, it's built in in many mice and keyboards. It's built into windows for crying out loud, you just need to download Mouse Without Borders from Microsoft.

It's 2017, not 1999. It would be a sad state of affairs if you couldn't control 2 PC with a single mouse and keyboard, it's not the stone age.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  10. Strawberry Augur

To follow up on this, the only reason multiboxing is so successful in EQ, especially early on in EQ, is because the game is too easy and predictable.

Multiboxing could be fixed overnight simply by randomly having some mobs cast memwipe on themselves forgetting who the tank is, and other mobs do AE rampage at random requiring players to step back. It would also fix the dumb PL exploits.

It would decimate multiboxers overnight.

You can't box in other MMO, at least not successfully. EQ is just too slow and easy, where one person in a group can just go AFK and nothing will happen to them..In classic especially, EQ is far too easy.

It's not that you can't stop boxing, it's unwillingness to do so.

IP blocking and true box are really dumb solutions to a problem that actually needs to be fixed with gameplay. People easily circumvent true box, it's pointless.
  11. nicemace Journeyman

if you don't like the gameplay why do you play eq? the gameplay is the reason why a lot of people still play everquest.

ps, don't make it seem like there is anything hard about wow gameplay / mechanics either. that is a cakewalk.
  12. Strawberry Augur

What a weird response.

1) I never mentioned WoW, why do you bring it up? I have never even played WoW.

2) I never said I didn't like EQ gameplay. I said it's too easy for multiboxers to exploit it. Having people controlling 6 characters was never the intention of this game.

I don't like multiboxers hogging spawns, unbalancing tuning, taking up server spots that should go to single account owners, causing drama, etc. I am hardly the only one. True Box worked somewhat in the beginning, but multiboxers figured out how to circumvent everything, so it's useless now.

The only way to get a server without multiboxers taking it over, is ading AE rampage and aggro memwipe to random mobs.
  13. Kahna Augur

So, making it not EQ anymore.

Boxers don't hog spawns more than any other group, unless you consider a boxer killing something you want to kill hogging. They don't unbalance tuning, things were unbalanced by the massive changes that have occur over the years. They haven't filled a server since the very first opening days of Ragefire. Ragefire is hardly hitting the point of queuing these days, so I don't see how boxers are taking the spot of real players on the server. They don't inherently cause drama anymore than single account holders. In fact some of the most drama inducing people I know are single boxers. Unless you consider someone playing in a manner you don't personally approve of drama inducing.

Most people are happy with the boxing situation on Phinny. If they weren't it wouldn't be the most populated server EQ has ever run. Only a very small subset of the Phinny population boxers more than 4 characters. While two and three boxing may not be how EQ was originally intended to be play, it is how the game has evolved. If the thought of someone logging on more than one character at a time upsets you, then EQ is not the best game for you. Boxing has been going on for so long it has become a part of the game's character. Done in moderation it adds enjoyability and longevity to the game for majority of the people who play it.
  14. nicemace Journeyman

there is nothing weird about it. your post indicated that you don't like EQ's gameplay. I responded saying a lot of people enjoy EQ specifically for the gameplay style.

i mention wow since pretty much all other MMO's mechanics / gameplay is based on wow's, so while a generalization, its also accurate regardless of what game youre talking about.

again, if you don't like something about the game. don't play it.
  15. GeeLock New Member

Neither of these would be particularly difficult to overcome, speaking as someone who has regularly 6 boxed with no scripting. Usually I'm driving on the tank, so memwipe is simple--tank uses agro stuff to immediately reestablish agro. For ae ramp, I usually keep all my melees autofollowed on the tank, so it takes a half a second pull back on the tank, move forward (autofollow overshoots), and now the melees are all safely out of ramp behind the tank. Then move them back in at max melee 1 by 1.

EQ has a lot of features aimed at annoying boxers in later expansions that are much more effective than these suggestions. Bottom line though, it is a simple game, especially in the early expansions, and if players can spend 90% of their time hitting one key and maximizing their class, chances are that they can maximize two or three without expending much effort. It's not till you start introducing much more complicated encounter mechanics that this begins to change.
  16. Galdous Augur

I am honestly not sure why people are wanting to shoot this down. What is the issue with Daybreak making a server that tries to create the way EQ was made to be played. 1 person 1 toon with other people.
  17. Dilf Augur

Well, if your view wasn't so short-sighted, you'd understand that the population of any server cannot cater to every single person finding groups and making use of their time. Instead of sitting around LFG with their thumbs up their butt, they can play multiple characters and actually accomplish something. Sure Phinny is the most populated of any server, but there are still many people who sit around for hours trying to find a group.

I'll never understand these white knights who hate boxers and even mercs. It gives people a way to play the damn game, so get over yourselves.
  18. Astley Augur

There have ALWAYS been people boxing accounts. True-boxing was active 18 years ago in this game because PCs at the time couldn't handle processing more than 1 active game.

You're the disillusioned one to think that the game was meant to be that way. The addition of other features like mercenaries were added for convenience that made people less and less reliant on others
  19. AgentofChange Augur

Because it is a bad idea
  20. Accipiter Old Timer

Most of us box like that on Phinny. I mentioned I use Synergy, but 95% of the time I use the individual keyboards rather than mousing over. I rarely use the mouse on my boxes once at the camp and set up.