Can you box on Phin now?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Dabrixmgp, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Dabrixmgp Augur

Havent played on Phinney since like the first month so logged in just to run around PoK for a bit. I ran into a group of 4 guys standing around together all with pretty much the same name with only like 1 letter changed. Also I found it pretty odd they were unguilded considering one was a Cleric. Did they change the rules or something to let people box?
  2. Religious Elder

Phinigel is a True Box server. You've always been capable of boxing, so long as each box was hosted on it's own machine. I myself box three, and I know many individuals who box two, if not more.
  3. Mowens Elder

You've always been able to box on Phinigel as long as you have multiple computers/keyboards/mice. Not exactly difficult, and boxing 4 isn't a huge mage army so what's your point?
  4. Taladir Augur

I'll never understand the tinge of hostility in responses like these. He's just asking a question which was completely optional for you to answer.
    nirriri and FluttyMan like this.
  5. Illusory Augur

The OP isn't asking if boxing is allowed, he's subliminally asking if it's okay to run multiple instances of eq.exe on one machine while playing on Phinny - because he saw what could be a typical crew of player characters that are typically played in such a way. The problem here is that the term boxing (much like the abbreviation d.p.s) has been lazily interchanged to have multiple meanings.

OP, if this is your question, then no it's not allowed, but I suspect more people are attempting to get away with it because of a recent lax in rule enforcement by DBG GMs. At the same time, GMs can only do so much... It's up to the community to properly report suspicious activity when they see it and not post, complain, and argue about it on the forums! (Posting about this stuff does nothing.)
  6. AgentofChange Augur

Sounds like he saw a crew of 4 toons with 3 of them on /follow...
  7. Mowens Elder

/shrug. It's the same type of people who log on a server and ask what expansion we're in...:p
  8. Mowens Elder

Are you serious?...and just how many false reports do you think go out to boxers that are playing legit because of this? How can you even distinguish between the 2, I'd love to know. I can count on one hand how many people I've seen that don't play legit. Namely, that guy who farms sebilis disco for days on end with mage boxes, about 12 chars. Big difference between the cheaters running 2 groups and the ones running 3-4 chars. They are likely afk automating. I'm not being hostile, Taladir. I'm simply fed up with the malcontent directed at boxers that never ends. A truebox server is the most fun I've had in EQ and it's sad that people still want to limit it to 1 character per household.
    nagash101 likes this.
  9. Galdous Augur

Dunno why you decided to try to turn this topic into a jab at people like me who want to see a progression server with no boxing.
  10. bodes Augur

There already is a progression truebox server for reasonable people. Only a single clueless ex-p99er is asking for anything more.
  11. Traktur Elder

What's the difference between the 12 and 3-4 characters if they're using 'illegal' methods?
  12. Zeklia Lorekeeper

Truebox code on Phinny is easily bypassed....and Devs dont really seem to care
  13. Ethereal Augur

Man these phini threads debating boxers never gets old. Always something to complain about right? :rolleyes:

Also:
    Yeah I mean it's not like Hyper-V comes with basically every version of windows 8.1 or 10. Oh wait.
  14. Astley Augur

I believe he was saying the 12 were more likely AFK automating, than the 3-4 box group. And that the general hate is pushed on anyone who boxes, even if they do so as intended, true-box no ''illegal'' methods involved.

I could 3-4 box myself currently, true-box with all having keyboards and mice, but it's not as worth it for me. I'm content to just 2-box if I go to do something by myself for a little bit, or need to fill in an extra group spot briefly.
  15. GeeLock New Member

We're 18 years in and they've never once been able to put a stop to it. Phinny is at least the closest they've ever come.
  16. Illusory Augur

I don't care how many false reports go out and I'm a legitimate boxer following the rules. And, as a boxer if I see something suspicious I will use chat logs, screenshots, and video to submit a ticket of the perpetrator. That said, if anyone suspects someone of cheating, they are encouraged to open a support ticket, provide evidence, and allow DBG time to investigate the issue. If they find the accused innocent, nothing will come of it. So I'm not sure what you're making a fuss about?

I'm pretty sure that DBG can determine if you've bypassed the true-box code. I'd explain how, but I would probably be reprimanded - so I'll leave it at that.
  17. nagash101 Augur

I agree completely with Mowens. The hate towards legitimate trueboxers is just strange and crazy to me. I cant even begin to tell you how many times i was trained and harassed by people be cause i was boxing 4 toons. Each toon with its very own computer and input devices. Phinigel was by far the most fun i have had in 10+ years playing an MMO, because i was able to really box again. Best EQ server to date until some of the most recent changes that really took a turn for the worst on Phinigel.
  18. Illusory Augur

Do you know what I find distasteful? Random people that make claims on a forum and expect others to believe them. Let's alter the idea of this topic a bit since you and Mowens have had a few bad experiences multi-boxing on Phinny.

To prove your claim, why don't you post a picture of your setup? I'd love to see your 4 computers with their own input devices. Don't forget to Sharpie your forum name on a piece of paper and include it at the time of snap... This will let us know that you're legit. Want bonus points? You could also load up EQ on all 4 PCs and zone them into PoK... Perhaps get a screenshot with a few folks in the background of notable guilds on Phinny?

I'm not home at the moment... But I'll gladly post a picture this evening upon request. As a legit boxer, I have nothing to hide.
  19. Hdizzle Augur

While commendable to go to such lengths to play EQ, kinda g*y he has to set up 4 pcs with input devices to play EQ. Fairly certain the large majority of Phinny players have googled how to box on Phinny.

I"ll leave it at that...
  20. Illusory Augur