Can you box on Phin now?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Dabrixmgp, Mar 8, 2017.

1. nagash101 Augur

LOL, yes i have done that also but thank god my chanter was lower level then my warrior.
  2. SyDiko Augur

(I don't really want to get into a rules discussion, but I will respond to the above.)

What you're doing is NOT game breaking, but you are breaking a few rules:

1 - ' Playing multiple characters at the same time from a single computer. '
    - You aren't screen sharing in this scenario, but that doesn't matter because you can see the 2nd computer screen. Also, it doesn't matter if the 2nd computer is on your lap, in the next room, in a data center down the street, or in a warehouse on the north pole. You are using 1 computer and 1 set of peripherals to control 2 accounts with 3rd party software.

2 - 'using 3rd party software'
    - You aren't using a KVM, you are using software that tries to emulate 2/3s the idea of a KVM. A true KVM device is designed to assist with a bunch of rack-mounted servers. For example, as a server administrator you aren't going to have a monitor, keyboard, and mouse for 15 dell blades, that would be ridiculous. You would use a KVM switch to easily navigate between the servers and do your job. That said, Synergy is 3rd party software. It allows you to share a mouse and keyboard across your network/internet for the sole purpose of controlling another account, and thus against the rules. Any anyone else 'boxing' in such a way can try to spin this however they want to justify it, but unless you have an official response stating otherwise, your argument holds no weight.

At this current time, unless you can disprove the above, you are actually admitting to breaking 2 rules.

Does DBG care about the above? They would probably care if you are being disruptive!
    Does DBG actively go after people in the above scenario? My instincts say probably not, but they will probably investigate reports of individuals if enough complaints come in. Again, fly low and you'll probably be okay.

(I will stop there with rules as it tends to get heated in these parts..)
  3. Accipiter Old Timer

If they choose to enforce the letter of the law, so be it. Software K/M apps aren't breaking the spirit of the law. If DBG starts banning people for using these types of apps then I will be glad to be done with them forever. They won't.
  4. SyDiko Augur

(This isn't directed solely at you Accipiter... I'm just generally speaking...)

At the end of any rules argument, discussion, or debate on these forums its your account and you can do whatever you want to do with your account. I personally wouldn't risk jeopardizing my account (time and money) for convenience.
  5. Atabishi Augur

Go away.
  6. Galdous Augur

That is why they need a more restrictive server to remove boxing because its a better option then banning people when its sort of Daybreak's fault for being so hazy on the rules. IP or mac monitoring restrictions.
    Grisnkh likes this.
  7. bodes Augur

Your non-stop campaigning is getting old, man.

[IMG]
  8. Astral64 Augur

You know it's serious when you get hit with the Mean Girls meme.
    Somnium Wintersun and Pikallo like this.
  9. aim2win New Member

hey astral why do you got 64 after you're name, has anyone addressed this before?
  10. Galdous Augur

To say I am wanting P99 rules is not entirely accurate. I want the current Phinigel setup with a more restrictive anti boxing setup for just this server. *Boggle* at the people who think they should be able to play an online game basically offline without interacting with others or giving a spot from an actual player to their npc toon x whatever you box.

You want to help make a server more welcoming for new people this is a start. New people are most likely to drop out when they can never find any groups because they are being afk power leveled by a team of bots being power leveled by 1 person wielding 5-6 people. And you are niave or lying to yourself if you think they do not use third party programs so in essence Phinigel is failed.

The only reason bot armies are not swarming as bad as they would be is because M2 use is highly restricted with only more private versions going around since the creator will not let it publicly be used on Phinigel.

Its utter nonsense people think the server is doing its job because if the general public was able to use M2 you would see the exact same thing happen as on every other server in regards to bot armies.
    Grisnkh likes this.
  11. Kahna Augur

The server is doing it's job. People are happy. Every server eventually becomes top heavy and unattractive to new players. That is unavoidable, hence the new server.

It boggles my mind that you are calling the most popular server in the history of EQ a failure.
  12. Tinytinker Augur

Here's some advice, Galdous, forget the no boxing server idea for a day, and try to be happy with what you do have.

[IMG]
  13. SyDiko Augur

No.
    Grisnkh likes this.
  14. AgentofChange Augur

I *Boggle* at the idea that you think you should be able to tell people how to play the game.

I got good news for ya bud. If you want to only play one character, you can do just that! Congrats. You get to play the game the way you want it, way to go. Now stop trying to change it for other people, that's just not the way it goes.

Phinigel has the highest population of any server in the history of EQ. "New" people to EQ isn't really a thing at this point. It's pretty much just people coming back. If they quit because they can't find a group then they just aren't trying, and would likely quit for *arbitrary reason #37* if they could find a group. People who want to play EQ are playing, those who don't aren't. It's real simple.

Your crusade to limit the number of toons an individual should be allowed to play is ridiculous and you seem to be the only one who doesn't see this. Literally nobody agrees with you. The only failure here is you.
  15. Accipiter Old Timer

FWIW, I wasn't offended by your post. :)
  16. Galdous Augur

Like how people are playing the game legally as it is? Phinigel as a truebox server in that essence has not worked out. So yes in that essence it is failing. As I said the only reason it has the success it has is because of the head developer of a certain program keeping the public version unable to work on Phinigel. That is how the majority of the mage bot armies work on other servers with lesser keyboard cloning software as secondary use.

Would you be all for Daybreak enforcing its rules in a more draconian method? My method is a more soft counter to cheaters without Daybreak banning a large chunk of the playerbase. Cheating has become the norm in EQ. This is the best middle ground for as cheat free as possible with tight restrictions on how many toons you can log in without substantial methods utilized to counter. And that is not even counting the changes to community when you are not able to log into your own box team at will.
  17. Numiko Augur

I tried that mouse pointer sharing program but did not like it .. I have enough trouble trying to find my pointer on one screen without having to look across 4 for it thank you very much!

and really I have my 3 "secondary" mice sitting right next to each other on one mousepad and have the arrow hovering over the Hotkey bar at all times .. I can click all three mice much faster then it would take me to move a single mouse pointer across 4 screens.
  18. Illusory Augur

Lol, I'd sure hope not!

(and SyDiko is me... for some reason my auto-login decided to use my 2nd account's username...)
  19. Trey Elder

The hostility probably stems from the lack of groups that can be found in the 1-50 lvl range -- and the fact that boxers bypass the social responsibilities and grouping dynamics by just stomping through content on their own. I mean, if you have to rely on public transportation to transport your character to higher levels (IE: support classes) and you can't get a group to get there -- b/c in 2017 boxers are weird anti-social <censored>...well, all this does tend to create a feeling of agitation.
  20. Taladir Augur

I think you missed the context of my response, which was very early in this thread. Re-read the first three posts and it will become clear my question was why the respondent was hostile toward the person asking the original question.