[Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] and Boxing

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by teagray2, May 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wandidar Elder

Broadcasting and receiving commands between clients is different than automating key strokes. Macros automate key strokes.

I have a friend who had a cleric on a second or third account back in the day - used one of the third party tools. Walk up to the cleric and tell her specific things and she would stand up, do what you told her, and sit back down.

For example: You could walk up to her and do this: /tell TheCleric Buff me

She would stand up, cast her buffs on you, and sit.

He would bring her to groups sometimes and sit her behind the groups. If you knew the commands, you created macros:

/tell TheCleric Heal Me

Etc...

That would actually be the difference for me. Can you - from one client, "drive" the other avatars to any meaningful extent. I'm not really in favor of that happening.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  2. Ootax Augur

People need to stop w/the ban boxing, ban [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software], etc, etc. It is NOT going to happen. Boxing isn't only used only TLP's it's on the regular servers just as much, and so is [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software]. Do you really think that they are going to through away money like that? Also people need to know the difference between something like using [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] and botting which are two completely different things.
  3. Tamier Augur

No you are manually inputing on ONE accout, that is in the forground. [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] automates keystrokes to multiple accounts in the background, that you are not manually inputting into. Huge difference.
  4. Tamier Augur

You don't know that, and you obviously didn't watch Holly's live stream last night. She just said [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] is Not Cool. Everytime Holly says something is not cool, they change it. Gluck with that.
    O_Castitatis_Lilium likes this.
  5. Tamier Augur

Yes you can control all accounts from one account, with [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] if you know how. Thats why people do not like it.
    Freki likes this.
  6. Arrk Augur

Sounds to me like you need to understand the similarities between botting and parts of [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software]...
  7. Adrienna New Member

One great feature of [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] is the ability to control several machines with a single keyboard. I used multiplicity for years, but it became too buggy for me to use and didn't work consistently. I discovered [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] several years ago to replace the functionality of multiplicity. When you are boxing on three or more machines, it is very convenient to assign your G-keys to different commands on different characters. I realize that some people abuse [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software], but it is very nice to be able to tank, heal, mez, evac, etc without having to juggle keyboards, and it does not violate the one key-press = one action rule. Not all of us are jerks. All of my characters are level one, because I won't take multiple spots on the server while there is a queue.
  8. Goodnews Augur

There is no trying to explain something to a box of rocks. They simply can not fathom what you are saying. Discernment, comprehension, logic, all out the window.

When its only whining if opposing opinion is saying it, that shows a lack of mental maturity. And everyone knows its pointless arguing with children.

17 servers allow boxing. People are asking for 1 that doesn't. There simply is no sound argument for not implementing one. "It won't work", "boxers deserve...etc.", "it will never happen"... these are opinions passed off as factual statements reinforced with empirical evidence and its silly. These are statements a child would make.

There is good reason to think a non-box server would not be well received. From a business standpoint, it makes sense. The response Ragefire has received was successful in large part to non-boxers. The sheer number of posts made for or against boxing shows there is a large contingent of the community on both sides of the equation.

It would be logical then to think adding one single server that offers non-boxing is a good business move and one that may add another layer of customer retention that may have previously quietly left due to the side effects of boxing.
    Motherlee likes this.
  9. Arrk Augur

This is not the boxing people are complaining about.

The boxing people are up in arms about is the 1 press key to fire 6 accounts... that is the part of [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] that is bad and people raging about.
  10. Gehlfein Elder

Most boxers are jerks. No reason Lockjaw can't be a No Boxer server.

Boxers can box on every other server. They don't need this one.
  11. Master Kahleem Augur

It isn't "automation", it is a keyclone. The two are VASTLY different. You cannot automatically heal someone when they get hurt. YOU have to physically see it happen, and react accordingly by either switching to your healer's screen, OR having a complex pre-configured macro system on your healer to deal with specific targets (ie: assist your main and then cast or target a specific group member and heal them based on F keys).

NOTHING IS AUTOMATIC. Please stop saying this if you're not well educated on the subject. It spreads misinformation.
    Lekkric18 and Dexar like this.
  12. Shmef Augur

you dont seem to understand the definition of automation, you are removing human input in automation. you still have to push keys with [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software]. your mages will never send in their pets without you pressing the pet attack button, they will never nuke without you pressing the nuke button.

you can make a basic macro in the game that casts 5 diff spells, yet is only 1 keystroke. this has been hard coded into the game for 15ish years now. you are not manually pressing keys for each spell.
  13. Zhutuak Augur

I control 4 accounts with 1 keyboard and 1 computer w/ the built in window function / mouse release built into the game. However if I want to switch from my warrior to my enchanter, I have to drag the mouse to the task bar and click the account that has the chanter.

Big difference in all the work I put in to make my box work vs other folks hitting one key which sends commands to 6 different accounts, whether or not they are performing the same function or are the same class or not.

Even though I am guilty of using a 3rd party program when they were illegal back in 2k-2k4, I have always made the actual key strokes. Back in the day, EQW was a monster to make work, but that challenge was what it was all about, as was downing content I could not do solo.
  14. Wichie Wtf New Member

Man, you can't even distinguish [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] from botting without using a derivative of "automate." Very telling.
  15. Rhiyannon Augur

the whole point of this post was to try and point out what an epic failure the idea of one account per ip is. too many think it's a brilliant solution when it's actually rather shortsighted.
  16. Tamier Augur

You push 1 key, and automate 83.3% of the accounts if you are 6 boxing with [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software]. You are supposed to manually input into each window. Piestro believed [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] was used to flip windows easier, which is what boxers claimed for years. Piestro was sony, and is no longer there. DBG's is not sony. New issue, new group. They attack in concert from the repeater. That is an advantage, it is 3rd party software. Never has been "legal" according to the ToS as written. Many people in sony chose to look the other way. DBG's hasn't shown they will do that.
  17. Warpeace Augur

So glad you have factual information for your name calling. I'm also sure you actually know most boxers and are able to verify this statement as true..
  18. Zhutuak Augur

Except you are not pushing pet attack 6 times for your 6 accounts - that is automation and the difference.

What is hard coded into the game to make playing 1 account easier is not the same thing as using a third party program to send the same command to multiple accounts. Apples to oranges, stop trying to justify isoboxer.

One keystroke for one account should be the line in the sand.
    Tamier likes this.
  19. Tamier Augur

The repeater is automation, it is allowing you to run programs in the background without ever switching to them or inputing anything. That in my opinion, is automation, IE. botting.
  20. Adrienna New Member

I'm not defending people using [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] to control their mage armies. I despise them as much as anyone. I'm simply trying to point out that there are multiple functions that [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] is capable of that doesn't involve sending six mage pets to attack with one key press.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.