Sony Online Entertainment Becomes Daybreak Game Company

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by RadarX, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Iila Augur

His twitter is active, and he responded to an article eq2wire today? http://eq2wire.com/2015/02/12/soe-president-john-smedley-responds-to-article/

Tomorrow or next week we (the EQ1 community) will get a letter from whoever is currently in charge of EQ (or ghost written by Roshen) saying that everything is still fine and no plans have changed, etc, etc. Standard PR stuff that other games will also get. It might even be true, as far the writer knows.

SOE games have been doing badly for a long time, something like this needed to happen for them to not be mismanaged into the ground over and over.
  2. Slasher Augur

That's actually not true. EQ has been very stable for years.
  3. Iila Augur

Free realms
    Vanguard
    The Agency
    EQN/LM
    PS2

And for us, CoTF and TDS. The corporate culture is not conductive to getting things done or putting out quality products.
    Mintalie and Mardy like this.
  4. Nedrom Augur

Uhh... wow this thread has really derailed.

Some of you guys need to get off your high horse. You're not really qualified to judge what happens to the company when/where/why during this transition. Just sit back and relax and let things happen naturally. Let's just all hope that EQ gets some attention it deserves when the dust settles. I know for one I'm worried about EQ being on long-term, and will be sad when it gets shut down, but wow. Some of you folks are really wound up for no reason at all. You're all going to give yourselves ulcers.
  5. frostfox Elder

It's not unreadable , I copied and pasted it from my word processor on my phone. I pasted it the forums did the weird spacing. But it is still readable. How about actualy trying to read it then discussing the idea.
    Omnicronimous likes this.
  6. Riou EQResource

At least PS2 is said to have started turning profit last year, should be decent on PS4 and Xbox One whenever they finally get it out for those :p
  7. Skeeter Elder

LMAO (_)_)::::::::::::.D LMAO

^ LMAO
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^LMAO^^^^^^^^^^^^
  8. Omnicronimous Journeyman

Who is Rollen?
  9. Pelamar Lorekeeper

one of the guys that makes stuff for player studios.
  10. Brogett Augur

I know it's not a great metric, but look at the forums for games. EQ has a great community and something like treble the post count and number of forum accounts that EQ2 has. EQ is similar to DCOU and PS2 is doing OK given how long it's been out there. Dragon's Prophet on the other hand looks to be quite empty in comparison, but maybe kids don't bother posting much.

Anyway, it sounds clear from the statements that they are consolidating (their words). First stage is trimming the staff count (done). Next stage will almost certainly be trimming the game portfolio and moving the remaining staff around as they're even thinner spread now than before. I don't personally think EQ would be cut, unless it is going to be a huge drastic cut of absolutely everything bar 1-2 games. I could make my predictions, but I won't as it's a bit unfair to those games.
  11. Garshok Augur

Not to be paranoid, but . . . just because a job is posted doesn't mean they intend to fill it. ;)
  12. Skeeter Elder

...nor does it mean people will fill it out and come work for you. I mean really, who in their right mind would want to work for this company right now amidst this mess? You're seeing quite a few gaming websites slam what this new company is doing so far and how its being handled. What is happening isn't exactly winning people over, nor does it seem popular. If they are in fact hiring, I predict they'll have a hell of a time filling the positions that need to be filled. Remember, they'll be hiring outsiders now and not that promoting from within and musical chairs like they used to do. It wont be easy, I assure you (especially for the older titles like EQ1)
  13. Skeeter Elder

Actually, reading this statement by them leads me to believe that they will not replace anyone that was let go.

Eliminate positions

Not "Let people go"

Not "restructure personnel"

Eliminating the positions they're occupying themselves

It's very careful wording there. It's a position cut, period.

This is about conserving resources.
  14. lagkills Slain by Fippy while guards stood and watched.

Someone ask the guy on twitter if they are selling the entire EQ franchise or do we get lucky and get to buy only EQ1.
  15. Axem the Great Journeyman

One thing to keep in mind about those job postings -

Most states (can't say for sure if CA or TX apply because I don't live there) have labor laws that involve filling positions of laid off employees. Normally there's a six month to a year dead period where they aren't allowed to start filling the positions of laid off employees unless they offer the position to the laid off person first.

Meaning if programmer A gets laid off because their position has been eliminated, they can't hire a new programmer for a cheaper rate for a certain amount of time unless they offer the job to programmer A first. Even if it is for a cheaper rate.
  16. Melanippe Augur

Buzz words! Buzz words, everywhere!

17. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Noooooooooooooooo /cry
  18. Lemon New Member

All I can think of when I heard this.

Change is sometimes for the better to move forward to better the game. Sure some of these people may have at their peak back then, but new blood needs to be introduced.

19. Ghubuk Augur

Well, now I understand all the negativity coming from Skeeter.

Skeeter = Kelefane.
  20. Pelamar Lorekeeper

Kelefane the ranger?............................... I used to be a Ranger back in the day then the Paladin class shot an arrow into my knee.