Sony Online Entertainment Becomes Daybreak Game Company

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by RadarX, Feb 2, 2015.

1. RadarX Augur

Dear Players, Partners and Friends,

Today, we are pleased to announce that we have been acquired by Columbus Nova, an investment management firm well known for its success with its existing portfolio of technology, media and entertainment focused companies. This means that effective immediately SOE will operate as an independent game development studio where we will continue to focus on creating exceptional online games for players around the world, and now as a multi-platform gaming company. Yes, that means PlayStation and Xbox, mobile and more!

As part of this transition, SOE will now become Daybreak Game Company. This name embodies who we are as an organization, and is a nod to the passion and dedication of our employees and players. It is also representative of our vision to approach each new day as an opportunity to move gaming forward.

So what exactly does this mean for you? It will be business as usual and all SOE games will continue on their current path of development and operation. In fact, we expect to have even more resources available to us as a result of this acquisition. It also means new exciting developments for our existing IP and games as we can now fully embrace the multi-platform world we are living in.

Our games and players are the heart and soul of our organization, and we are committed to maintaining our portfolio of online games and pushing the limits of where we can take online gaming together.

Thank you for your continued support. See you in game!

The Team at Daybreak
  2. Zailynn New Member

does this mean you can now spare the resources for a new progression server that will progress at a slower but more normal rate say every 6 months or so???
    Cendharia, Xanadas, Amysteria and 2 others like this.
  3. Deadbones Journeyman

Lol, I doubt it but I would also welcome a new progression server.
    Cendharia, Amysteria and Merry like this.
  4. Merry Elder

+1 ... I don't know why but you made my day, first comment to this kind of an announcement "give TLP~~" ... thats so grand after all the posts and whatsonot that had been in the TLP section - laughed hard.

Thanks Zailynn. :)
    Amysteria and Zoggzog like this.
  5. Rumplestilskin Lorekeeper

SMEDLEY must stay!!
    Cendharia and Makaha like this.
  6. Cobalt Blues New Member

I hope this brings good things. Hopefully the creative juices wont be hindered.
  7. complexication Kassina

Every time I've dealt with something I like going an overhaul/acquisition/what have you, it ends with shuttering and sunsets.

Really hope this isn't going to be the case.
    Geroblue, Rouan and Trebr like this.
  8. Krellin New Member

9. Versifier Elder

I guess we should see the first change in next months patch when Qeynos is renamed to Qeavonsubmuloc or possibly Qekaerbyad... :p
  10. Cobalt Blues New Member

Well if they do dump some IP I hope a more dedicated shop will pick them up. Like Pirates of the Burning Sea. Regardless of what you think about the game, it was allowed to live on for the core players.
  11. Sostenes Augur

I predicted that this sale was going to happen June of last year:

Oxgoad likes this.
  12. Krellin New Member

Buying the game isn't the same as buying the entire company..................
    Cendharia likes this.
  13. guado Augur

out of all things related to EverQuest
  14. MuffinButtonOverLord New Member

Does this mean that the SoE website is going to change? Will our accounts usernames and passwords be automatically transfered? or will it all be on the website with just a new name?
    Cendharia likes this.
  15. Cobalt Blues New Member

Doooooom.... Glooooom.. Its the end of Everquest!!! OOOhhh Noooossssseeeee!
    Eh... Things Change.
  16. Krellin New Member

If it give the devs more resources then this will be a good thing for us.
    Lisandra likes this.
  17. Sostenes Augur

So Station Cash is now Daybreak Cash lol
    Cazmac likes this.
  18. Lovestar Augur

Uh-oh.
    Parts likes this.
  19. MuffinButtonOverLord New Member

Also does this mean that some games that are currently being made, being thrown away? or will the game development be continued? same company but with no support from sony anymore means less resources unless money for game development. what about all the new up coming new game titles for the PS4? are the contracts now void because of this transition?
  20. DJMAD New Member

Yea Sony dropping SOE =/= SOE dropping EQ

"So what exactly does this mean for you? It will be business as usual" I'm sorry I'm having a hard time believing this. I believe business as usual got you here, I seriously doubt business as usual is going to continue.
    MuffinButtonOverLord likes this.