Sony Online Entertainment Becomes Daybreak Game Company

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by RadarX, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Finen Elder

It's also to breakup cliques and put an end to wasteful nepotism.
  2. Pelamar Lorekeeper

I do see a lot of openings for generic technical staff some relating to server operations I can't help but wonder if this isn't related to all that multi platform stuff maybe they have a huge project with that in mind. Very sad that if they do EQ will likely not be included in this project as the game coding is so old and incompatible now.
  3. Numiko Augur

That could be, but it is also very easy to cancel job postings, and those are still up, and have been at least edited since they became Daybreak.

plus some refer to multiple jobs it seems in the programmer ranks, so it is actually more then 19 positions open.
  4. svann Augur

Name more than one MMO property that was purchased by another company this late in the games shelf life and didnt survive more than 2 years.
  5. Skeeter Elder

svann raises a shield to deflect incoming attacks
  6. svann Augur

True, but it does discredit the fear that the layoffs are a sign of imminent demise. They wouldnt be hiring new people if they planned to shut the doors soon.
  7. svann Augur

He asked for a list of games that survived a buyout, implying that if I cant list any that means they all folded. Obviously flawed reasoning on his part.

There just arent many mmos that have been bought out to show either way. That isnt proof they will survive, but it does show his implication is invalid.
  8. Skeeter Elder

svann raises a shield to deflect incoming attacks

Answering a question with a question is also invalid.
  9. The Flash Lorekeeper

Having been through college I don't really feel like compiling a bibliography of sources but wikipedia keeps a somewhat updated tally on total unique dynamic IP logons for several more popular games.

#1 League of Legends - over 100 million
    #1 (mobile) Clash of clans - 120 million
    #1 (console) Call of duty - 32 million
    #2 Lineage (they combine 1 & 2)
    #3 World of Warcraft
    #1403 (or there abouts) would be everquest if the last estimates (of about 160,000 active subs) were accurate.This isn't accounting for boxers.

Edit: World of Warcraft is actually higher ATM then their peak was in WOTLK - at 13.8 million. They are over 14 million.
  10. Wesker1213 New Member

No way in hell WoW is up over 14 million subs when late MoP they were under 8 million. They didn't gain 6 million subs at the release of Draenor.
  11. Slasher Augur

MoP was a horrible expansion im sure people came back for Draenor not sure its that many, but if it is 7m + is asia which don't count they make almost nothing from it because of chinese laws. Last I checked before Draenor they had 3m NA/EU players.
  12. Skeeter Elder

This is why numbers are subjective. Even the numbers people throw around with EQ1 are subjective. We have no idea, its just all guesstimates.
    noclue likes this.
  13. Wesker1213 New Member

Late last year (it may have been right before WoD release), Blizzard had a conference call, and the numbers quoted on MMO champion were around 7.5 million subs give or take worldwide. Even counting Asia, I don't see them almost doubling that in the last 3 months since the Xpac's release.

Even if that 160,000 for EQ1 is true (not counting boxes), I'd say the game was in decent shape considering when it came out. That isn't counting the money they make from micro-transactions.
  14. Skeeter Elder

I seriously doubt that 160,000 figure for EQ1 is correct, LMAO.
  15. Skeeter Elder

This isn't exactly confirmed yet....but

I just heard that Rytan, Chandrok and Jansan are all gone now too. On top of Ngreth of course.
  16. frostfox Elder

Dear Columbia nova

I am going to try and make this short. please excuse any typing or grammer errors as well, as it is late at night and i am exhausted. My name is Heather Michelle Hunt

( Frostfox ) .. and i have been playing EQ classic since it came out in 1999. i have maintained inbetween 1 and 4 accounts during the 15 year time frame the game has been

running. I tell you this becuase , becuase being a busines i am sure you care not for my personal information , nor my feelings on your aquirement of my beloved game. You

care about the bottom line. How much money can you get out of Everquest classic.
    I am writting today , after heavy thought about the current predicament my game finds itself in. One there was a letter sent out to the landmark forums , that i can

only guess was an attempt to calm them down after yesterdays letting go of Dave. They were all worried about the direction of EQ landmark, and Eqnext. WEll we all are

concerned and not just for those games. i want to point out now that while i have a landmark character and have played on that game. I even paid for a closed first run beta

key ( 100$ ) becuase i felt strongly in helping a community developed next generations of the EQ franchise. I do want to be clear though as much as i like landmark .. I am

and Always will be a EverQuest classic player.
    EQ is where my friends and my family are. for 15 years it has been a huge chunk of my life. I met the loves of my life on it. ( my late husband mark ( fulanita) who

died of cancer, and my current husband Chris ( eroan /navien ). THE best friends i could ever have , The Circle of Prophets guild. We are close , very close from calling

eachother on the real phone to sending care packages to eachother to paying for eachother's subs when times got hard. to driving hundreds of miles to go to funerals when we

lost one of us. To flying thousands to see eachother get married. Wittnessing the birth of children, and taking shared vacations together. MY point in mentioning this is the

fact that unlike WoW or Rift or GuildWars whose communities are young and often times immature. the EQ community is old and tight knight. You are going to have a hard time

finding a player that doesnt' have a similar story like mine. as such Our community is speacial and you need to realize we need to be handled differently. i realize you

bought a company and now are cleaning house ( business as usual ) but this isnt' your usual group of customers. I will be blunt if it weren't for Dave asking many of us to

continue to play and love the game , you would have lost a ton of subs yesterday.
    So you are thinking ok thanks for that feedback .. bla bla bla .. i get that .. telling you about the mistake in how to handle the community wasn't my only reason for

writing. One The EQ classic community has a right to have a letter sent to them including a detailed plan of action you think you are going to do with us ! .. this is

something we deserve and as a valued player community we feel you owe us that. A flat out answer on if you plan on Sundowning us anytime soon !

Now for the part of the letter where i give you some ideas that i think are worth it. Of course in order to not get a yeah we are shutting you down answer lol. You go

look at the fan pages for EQ classic on facebook you are going to knowtice we have 66k followers , as oposed to the 16k on landmark or EQN. i dont' know how many of those are

actualy playing but i am willing to bet there are more EQclassic subs then players in landmark. Imo the game is still viable and a money maker. i also believe we can do

better and turn it back into the original cash cow it was in the day.
    Part of your reasoning for buying the company was as you all put it to expand into console and mobile. to really break into the video game's multiplatform capability.

i think we can do that even with the current situation within EQclassic. Bare with me here before you say .. aaa no way lol. There is a huge path for expansion into the

mobile universe espeacialy for an MMO game. Currently there is only one MObile true MMO that functions properly and it belongs to GameLOFT . Order and Chaos online is a MMO

that has brought in millions for gameloft ( a french based mobile devision of ubisoft ) Why it does so well is simple it really doesnt' have any competition. the other

partial mmos dont' work as well and dont' have the backing to really get them to take off. I think EQ classic would function very well in this area, while still keeping its

PC players as well. Being that EQclassic has simplified graphics is one of its great strengths for this idea. your looking at an older game that can truly take advantage of

the new way that microsoft is doing thier mobile lines. while it might take some time to get mobile interfaces for android and ios , i think EQ classic could be very easily

put into optimization for mobile on windows. becuase microsoft is is using the same operating system on its mobile platforms and the same grpahics ( direct X ) i think all

that would be needed was the touch screen optimization. a smaller simpler UI .. maybe with one hot key bar and spell gem list. and of course a mobile log in. considering we

use our station logins for everything from all the games to the eqworlds i don't think this would be a problem. This would offer folks easy access to play EQ on thier assus

windows tablets , to thier nokia phones. and Put us in direct competion with gameloft's order and chaos . having already set up micro transactions in the marketplace one

littel EQ button would be easy. it would open up the game to a host of new gamers including the younger market of players that dont' use PCs but do use thier tablets and

phones. THIS could be done without making any changes to the game as it is now really , and you would get a new player base as well as keeping your loyal EQers that have kept

the game going for over a decade. this is a serious idea and i think it would bring in a ton of money. i encourage you to check order and chaos out .. i know eq would be able

to beat it given the chance. Since the FTP model is already out there it would cover the initial app format in the app stores. once the windows takes off we can look into the

old Mac coding for eq and see if we can also interface with the ios devices. and android later as it is the more difficult. you can also take Legends of Norrath the card game

and optimize it for mobile .. and run it similar to the EQworlds app .. giving players a way to play it outside of the house from thier devices and win in game loot( which it

already does anyway )

I ask you seriously to look into this and i hope you have taken my letter in good humor.

Thank you for your time
    Sincerly
    Heather M. Hunt ( A.K.A Frostfox leader and Servant of the Circle of Prophets.
  17. Pelamar Lorekeeper

I think Chandrok may be gone had a few people say that now I am unsure about the other two
  18. Pelamar Lorekeeper

Hey Dreambreak here is a thought why don't you hire Rollen to do all your art for everything you ever do his stuff is so much prettier than anything your lot have ever done.
  19. Melanippe Augur

20. Edrick Augur

LMAO, indeed. LMAO. LMAO.

This is unreadable.