Work In Progress: What's Next for Arena PvP

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by Tunso, Apr 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beaminggg New Player

Just delete home turf from PvP keep it simple stupid is an excellent phrase. But I personally think as much as you guys neglect PvP or don't acknowledge how your changes to Pve effect PvP. Just make a big change make it so the majority of PvP players are happy with it and stop doing new stuff for it. Let it be after you get rid of everything and change it back. Till you decide to make last laugh pt 2.
    • Like x 2
  2. Metrioned New Player

Giving debuffs to only controllers really throws everything out of balance again.

Imagine going against a rage dps with rage crash. Anyone that Isn't a troll power will be melted and unable to fight back because the rage dps will continue to bring their health back over and over.

Consumables should stay because they provide diversity and stuns that are needed in PVP. The only way to successfully stop a celestial dps or healer is to stun them out of their combos. If you are going against a Celestial dps or Rage without a consumable and without a controller to successfully stun and debuff, you won't be able to stop a combo or cause a rage crash. Which will also make being a controller power the go-to for 1v1s.

If you decide to make sodas only for pvp, be sure to make a variety, and not just 1 soda. Buff sodas should stay in pvp because they provide a competitive edge and is a staple for scrimmages, however, If you decide to remove them I will understand.

All mods should be allowed in Arena PVP, but here are some NEEDED changes for some for balance.

• Tumbling Master should be either taken out, or they should remove the damage and juggling affect but still allow you to roll out of the way.
    • Deadly block should stay but take the 25% to 10%, Screen blocking is a known issue that is constantly abused knowing that you can take almost 40% of someones life depending on Precision and gear just by blocking.
    • Empowered channeling should have the defense and toughness removed from it
    Home Turf Trinkets should be removed entirely from all modes.

Break out needs to be fixed as sometimes you break out multiple times from one stun and drain your bar

CC also needs to be fixed as well
  3. Faust74 Loyal Player

I appreciate that yall are trying to improve PvP, but some things yall have decided to axe and add are things that us PvP'ers have been saying ever since yall decided to change PvP all in the name of "Fairness" & make PvP more "Competitive". So it kinda irks me reading this known damn well we have been saying this for the longest time.

How long have us PvP players have been saying STOP with all the consumable buffs? But yall still keep adding more and more. Consumables are great for PvE, but not for PvP. We have also said MANY TIMES that the Mainframe Trinkets & MODs are bad for PvP. How fun is it to have explosive block constantly going off? Not only is that player rewarded with Immunity for blocking, but they get an added bonus by sending whoever is attacking them flying across the map and all they had to do was turtle. But, yall are still thinking about letting that stay? Yup, sounds great for PvP, let's keep that in. :rolleyes:

I never been the one to insult the Devs for the changes they make to PvP, whether I like the changes or not. But I am getting to to point where I having little faith in their ability to improve PvP. Seem lately, when I am happy with something they did to Improve PvP arenas. It's something they end up removing, but they were the ones that put it there in the first place. Kinda hard to pat yall on the back on removing something that we Hated, that yall put there in the first place.

Before I go off on a long rant. I'll just say few more things. YOU CAN'T have Fairness & Competitiveness going on at the same time in PvP. You want the Novice PvP'ers to have fun & the Hardcore PvP'er to have fun? Then don't pit them against each other.
    • Like x 2
  4. Jerick New Player

Removing all of the tactical mods might not be a good idea, since empowered channeling is the only way to use channeling powers, unless a tank (not normally targeted) is using it while flying. Other tactical mods are just annoying, like explosive block, deadly block and tumbling master (no super hero tumbles their way to victory lol). Making a whole new set of tactical mods just for PvP would be awesome but it might just be to much.

Removing role debuffs. Does this include debuffs from the movement tree?
    This means tanks speced for tank much harder to kill in capture the flag maps and controllers will have power over time again which does not sound good for healers.

Reasonable class deltas? Meaning that you guys can nerf or buff certain powers specifically for PvP and it will not affect PvE at all?

Other ideas for PvP:

Start matches with zero super charge like Aqua said
    Rework immunities
    Bring back long duration grounding, it makes kiting harder.
  5. Damashi The Kaotic Well-Known Player

My advice is remove the home turff trinkets, but make pvp only ht mods accessible to all pay levels. This way everyone will have the opportunity for all mods, and you may very well sell some premium and free players on the home turf dlc.
  6. Gant Well-Known Player

Back in the day, PvP was about stomping and that was directly related to speed. If someone lagged, they paid for it. As they should. Currently, PvP is like watching a brawl go down in the nursing home.

7. Gwalir Loyal Player

I prefer this clip myself: :D

• Like x 1
  8. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

This has probably been mentioned already, but, no more role advantages? Which means healers wot have advantage on tanks and tanks on trolls and trolls on healers, etc? How will troll debuffs work? Will they actually reduce toughness when you use a defense debuff? Will the healing debuff still reduce healing? Just no confidence boost anymore? Will the damage debuff actually stick and not go away when a dps pops another power? Im all for this idea, ive been pvping for almost 2 years I loved the old days but nowadays the movement debuffs kind of took the excitement out of 1 vs 1s... especially if you play as a support role. Glad to see those are going away but so many questions to be answered still!! Lol. Im all for this though, anything to make pvp enjoyable again do it.
  9. Petralka Well-Known Player

I think 1 cola trinket like legends will do the work instead of letting all players use all those consumables.
    • Like x 1
  10. RiskVsReward New Player

So if they remove the role penalty, then what do trollers get since they are the only class that didn't have a gam age penalty in troller role. I assume they gave that to trollers since they are the class with the least survivability. They can't heal like healers and they can't mitigate damage like tanks, it was only fair that they did more damage in their role... What will trollers get out of this?

Otherwise the changes seem promising and it's nice to see you guys didn't forget about pvp and are trying to bring back it's integrity
  11. RiskVsReward New Player

So then Tanks and healers will run the show with no way to debuff them and no damage penalty in their role stance. How will this be balanced with how trollers never had a role damage penalty because they lacked the survivability of tanks and healers?

About HT mods, I like them, but I think for overall balance they should be gone. Some classes benefit way more from HT mods than other classes and that would be impossible to balance right. Empowering channel removes all the risk of doing a finisher, which should be reserved for when the player has immunity after a bb or interrupt. Regen shielding is op with ice.

I pretty much bought home turf so I can have an advantage in pvp, but I'd love to see them go and get some real balance under way
  12. RiskVsReward New Player

That's the problem IMO, it takes the risk out if using powerful finisher and instead of risk, it rewards you with defense/toughness boost and cc immunity. I feel like finisher should be high risk/high reward moves that reward players for making good reads with block breakers and interrupts, something that is lacking with empowering channel mod
  13. Ice Clown New Player

I LOVE EVERYTHING ON THIS NEW ARENA PVP SOE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

personally in my opinion i like all this, i dont hate anything, i love everything!! this is how it should be

i hope it happens and THX SOE:D:);):p
  14. RiskVsReward New Player

There's still pve where those will be plenty viabl. Home turf was a pve dlc and there is still plenty to do with it, you can solo your whole way though t4 and get the mods for pve... Anything home turf related needs to go in pvp!

It's too difficult to balance the classes amongst each other with home turf mods thrown in the mix since they don't benefit all classes and roles equally, plain and simple. If they want balance, then this must happen.
  15. RiskVsReward New Player

That's the whole point of channeled finishers, they are meant to finish off your opponent after you scored a block break or interrupt. If you did that before doing the finisher, you don't have to worry about being interrupted since you have immunity. IMO that what finisher were intended for, not to just spam because it give you a huge stat buff and does a lot of damage with no risk. Getting rid of empowering channel will add a layer of skill and risk, and weed out those bad players that we're spamming it as a crutch to win

I say get rid of home turf mods because not all classes and power benefit the same from it... A mod that removes combat mechanics and thought = not balance

This is coming from a player who bought HT and hand of fate dlc strictly for pvp, I'd love to see the need for them in pvp go away get some real balance happening. There are too many variables with anything HT related for them to be able to truly balance pvp with them still there. I actually enjoy home turf and my utility belt in pave much more than in pvp so it's not a waste
    • Like x 3
  16. Blight KOBRA Commander

Now that's a discussion I look forward to.

But I am happy to hear you're finally getting around to banning PvE gear in the arenas.
    • Like x 2
  17. junglejim New Player

What an arousing morning read. Im working atm but these are some quick requests ill add more depth later.

Remove ALL ht from pvp
    Remove all stun, pi , damage consumables only plus for me with them is the clip.
    Fix breakouts . If possible speed up the block . Latency with blocking is an issue for me fed up trying to breakout and being bb. Cost me a match last night.
    Set pvp role or dps trinks no pve ones.
    Set pvp constant sodas like legends.
    Immunity should leave you immune to counters.
    its early days but this excites me. Limiting pets as much as possible too . Pvp should be skill thought and teamwork not fire n forget pets. Just my opinion I had a scrim 5v5 with leaguemates recently in bloodbat gear no consumables and no buffs. Was the best , least laggy games ive had since dlc4 . Could actually play the counter game as we could see what was happening and wasnt a stun/juggle fest.
    • Like x 3
  18. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

I know it is not quite about arena PvP, but can you do something to for open world PvP?

Currently level 30 players can one-shot lowlevels with a single hold attack, regardless if they wear PvP or PvE. Can't you make their weapons blunt against lowlevels?

I have never known the good old pvp everyone talks about, but I've always seen, that the current system has some major flaws. You are adressing some of them (e.g. making noobs equal with a buff, integrating the pre-lvl 30)

One of the flaws which I still see unfixed is that tanks might become impossible to kill, but also remain without a purpose in deathmatches...

edit: And fix the weapon combo-glitches already. They are annoying and confusing. I won't give details, because the can be used to gain an unfair advantage, but I reported them enough times...
  19. proxyreiv New Player

Personally removing the entire home turf from PvP is the best idea even if i have the dlc still have uses in PvE and you have your lair.

But what they will do to rage crash mechanic? without debuffs is too powerful, i hope they dont over nerfed this mechanic...

And tank cleanses should be looked at, they last only 3 seconds, i have to waste 2 powers on my loadout to have a 6 seconds rebuff? ire is pretty decent but ferocity is useless, maybe if the prec buff would last for more and be groupal would be better...

Great changes, it will make arenas more enjoyable for everyone if done correctly.
    • Like x 2
  20. Sasami Well-Known Player

This post deserves to be quoted, since it lists very succinctly what is WRONG with this idea:

My thoughts? While removing PVE armor / weapons from PVP is not a bad thing, given that alternative gear designed for PVP is available, decoupling the use of craftables / MODS gained in PVE while in PVP make any work one does on improving ones character in the game environment meaningless and reduce Arena combat to the level of 'Legends with customizable skins'. The whole POINT of an MMO is to invest time, energy and practice in all facets of it to improve your character and to use the power you gain as a result to your advantage in all aspects of combat. This is an EXTREMELY BAD idea IMO....and one with the inherent imbalance of the powersets will see the rise of Ice DPS as the dominant PVP build once more, as was at release, since there is no effective counter for it beyond role debuffs and gear / time spent in the total game environment.

But don't take my word for it. Here is an example from another poster advocating this change that highlights what I say:

• Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.