Why no new iconics?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Robotsidekick, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Some Iconic abilities like Bizarro's firebreath or Circe's ability to teleport which also creates a copy of herself would be much appreciated.

I am sure other abilities would be appreciated as well... but these two come to mind off the top of my head. ;)
    • Like x 6
  2. ErickStrife Well-Known Player

I know exactly who they are; i just didn't want to mention them.

Ultimateky my point was that no matter how much we ask for, no matter how much $$ is available and no matter how much the devs would love to do things.... it comes down to THOSE people at that company; They say yay or nay.
  3. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Okay, then.

Back in reality, as opposed to abstract theory, design/costume/cosmetic choices are made inhouse at DCUO, submitted to DC for approval, and only some tiny fraction get vetoed, so in reality/practice, the design choices are ~98% what the devs at DCUO want to do.

It would be misleading in the extreme to imply that DCUO was frequently battling with DC for design permissions, so far as I know.

And it's been specifically stated by green names that DC has become even looser and looser about what they allow, compared to their past stickiness about emblems, for example.

The degree to which you can blame DC Entertainment for DCUO design choices is minimal compared to what DCUO simply decides for themselves. If I understand correctly. (If I don't, I expect Mepps will correct me.)
    • Like x 2
  4. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Circe's power isn't just teleportation; it leaves behind a second, NPC, version of her for a cooldown period.
    • Like x 1
  5. MyDpsIsBetter Dedicated Player

How ever you want it take, take it.
  6. Fwames Well-Known Player

I have a real easy suggestion. Reskin some iconics

Freee Breath into Etrigan's Flame Breath
    Gag Glove into Rocket Punch
    Batarang into a Deck of Cards
    and some more!
  7. PTFreeze Well-Known Player

i would love it if we get an freeze cryo gun finisher attack and something like heatwaves fire pistole attack he do at the duo
    • Like x 1
  8. Stanktonia Dedicated Player

Adding tray abilities that are already in the game (via legends) to the iconic tree is a great idea
  9. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Probably why I said in my post...

,,, which also creates a copy of herself... ;) ;)
    • Like x 1
  10. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

This doesn't seem very DC - like :D
  11. Ebon Pegasus Master of the Speed Source

Plenty of Clown-Based villains have used razor sharp playing cards and exploding playing cards. I do see your point though, lol.
    • Like x 1
  12. Rejchadar Inquisitor

Disappointment? I would like to clarify what you mean? I played a lot of different games (mmo), and I honestly find it difficult to name at least one game in which for 10 years (compared to the starting set) significantly more new classes or their analogues would be introduced, as well as new development systems for the character than it was done at the DCUO ...
  13. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Sadness or displeasure caused by the nonfulfillment of one's hopes or expectations.
    For example: To Kuno's disappointment, there was no chance for DC Universe Online to be a carbon copy of Final Fantasy XIV or Elder Scrolls Online or World of Warcraft or Never Whatever.
    • Like x 1
  14. Apollonia Dedicated Player

Thank god [for DI/DB] Gazillion went under for sexual harassment in the workplace issues, so that this game doesn't have direct competition to compare against it anymore. Marvel Heroes essentially offered a new powerset for every character they released.

DC Comics is a premium brand, or at least it tries to be last time we checked. It's fair to have high expectations from a product based on it. Not sure why you defend the game on these types of exchanges; It's very stockholm syndrome-y. The game has done a lot right, but there's also a lot to fairly criticize. Not being honest about its short commings isn't helping it get better and is keeping it stuck in its current state. Why not just let people passionate about getting things fixed, do so without arguing with them (you don't have to reply and can ignore their posts)? If they fail it won't bother you anyhow and if they succeed you benefit from a better game too. Or is it that you just don't want to get your own hopes for better up? I mean, that's totally fair too. Maybe think on your part in these exchanges?
    • Like x 2
  15. Rejchadar Inquisitor

In general, I understand what you mean. I just wanted to clarify one point .... at least 2 of the listed games cope much worse with the introduction of new classes (analogs of the powersets) and new systems than the DCUO. People on this forum very often "shout" that in other games something is better ... but if you compare for real ... then the comparison is not in favor of other games ...
    • Like x 1
  16. PTFreeze Well-Known Player

honestly that coment hit the point 100% i mean why we have everytime trouble if we start up with new ideas why is everyone everytime against everything i mean let the devs see what they can do to get this game on a next better lvl and dont say it cant work before u even tought about what it can mean if it works im really sick that everyone needs to think he know everything 10 times better just bcs he wants to be in the spottlight if we fail we fail but if we dont try to make offers of what we dream about here the game will never get better..
    • Like x 3
  17. PHNTM Well-Known Player

There is plenty of money to be made from the iconic powers too. Just tie in artifacts to them. Like you did with the Solar Amp.
    • Like x 2
  18. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Firstly I'm absolutely for new iconic powers. I'm not sure what you think it is I think I'm defending. An inhaccurate haccusation hagainst development regarding new powers was made hand I simply pointed that out. (See how hannoying this is?) The only thing I'm against in this whole thread is a wrongful accusation and the improper use of the letter 'H'.

Secondly there is MUCH I can find to criticize about DCUO but unfortunately we're not discussing any of those things here in this thread. The topic is powersets or classes and I believe we have 15 in total, Neverwinter has 8, WoW has 12, FFXIV has a whopping 25, etc. I feel like DCUO has hit a sweet spot in the middle but I'm not against them extending that list to 18 or 21.

Thirdly when we set our hopes high, the fall can be disastrous. Being realistic and keeping reasonable expectations is healthy for the mind and soul.

Now if you excuse me I have a nephew coming over and I need to lock up my computer. ;)
    • Like x 2
  19. Mentaldope40 Dedicated Player

Right, most of us are subscribers that are requesting these new features to the game such as Iconic expansions etc. and last I checked I don't recall any of us claiming how easy it was to be implemented, we were just curious on a possible response from the Developers of when, that is all, we've been getting the same format for years already, Materials, auras, styles etc. but what about our powers and the roleplaying aspect since this is a rpg?
    • Like x 1
  20. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Thanks for your permission!
    • Like x 1