Why do so many people in DCUO lack creativity?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Franchise, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Bruherd New Player

My theory is that those toons are farmers for their main which is why they don't put too much thought into them.
  2. MercPony Devoted Player

My character name is written as L4DY DE4DPEWL simply because around the time I wanted to make a Lady Deadpool inspired character, all the good variants of the name were already claimed :confused: I do also own the name MercPony on USPS. Any MercPony's you see on other servers are not me :p

Anyway, I chose the name set up I did because since she IS a Deadpool character.... a chaotic name that makes zero practical sense in spelling also actually makes sense. So its for humor... and my own form of creativity. Also at this point I have no real desire to change the name to something without numbers simply because I am already pretty established under my current name and would be a bit of a nuisance to change it.
    • Like x 3
  3. Laff Riot New Player

Yes and no. I wish there was more creativity with these people but then it doesnt bother me too much because they are paying to play their way.

Just wish someone would change their league name though. It is my name and spelled the way I have my characters name. :mad:
  4. Twilight Man New Player

Personally when I create a character that already exists in media (Colossus, Dracula, Ghostbuster, Wolverine, etc.), I'm not just making a copy. When I recreate a character...I recreate a character. I treat them as my own little experiment and chance to use them as I see fit and make then wear variations of their iconic costumes that I always wanted.

As a man with a huge imagination it's hard not to use this games creative possibility to not only make new never before seen characters, but also mirror characters and completely new versions of existing characters in media. For instance, with DCUO I can make a super martial arts fighting Ryu from Street Fighter with mental powers like Professor Xavier and a freeze gun based on Mr. Freeze from DC Comics.

The possibilities are huge, and the same can be said for the names.

(...which is why I don't fully understand the difficulty some people have in creating names without excessive numbers or x's)
    • Like x 2
  5. Errorcode1058 New Player

The ExcreMentalist approves of this thread.
  6. WhiteW0lf Devoted Player

One things that always has and probably always will irritate me to no end is when someone uses the word "of" where a "have" should have been. For example, "I see plenty of names that should of (should be have) been banned".

But you will never see me complain about it. Unless of course I am trying to make a point....
    • Like x 3
  7. Chicago Bull New Player

..Oh I don't know..maybe...Cause DCUO is filled with children and adolescents. That love making characters they know about.
    • Like x 2
  8. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Thanks for sharing.

No you do not have any "X" or numbers..... but I don't think anyone can accuse you of being very creative either.

"killa ray" pretty much ranks amongst names like "SupaKilla".

There are players who are irritated about those kind of names.

Personally... I don't care.

I get that people just want to have fun and relax playing a game.

Heck I much prefer to be teamed-up with a guy named SupaKilla who does a great job.... who is an awesome Controller or an awesome Healer.

But maybe that is just me. ;)

Now the tough part..... what do they look like??? ;)

Will post a few examples a bit later.
    • Like x 2
  9. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

I have a Supreme Adaptoid character who switches between looking like Captain America using a shield... Hawkeye using a bow.... and Black Panther using MA.

I love my Armories. ;)
    • Like x 3
  10. Franchise New Player

as far as the "killa ray" name, it was suppose to be a villain and I try to make names based off their powers, hence "ray" since since the power is hard light, and since its yellow hard light, I wanted a name that "instill fear" which is why i decided on that name. Again, my name fits the character I was going for. I was not trying to be another or emulate another character from a cartoon, anime, or a character that already exists in a comic or etc WHICH IS THE POINT OF THE THREAD AND MY QUESTION. I am not sure if you noticed, I never brought up appearances cause that is not what this thread is about, there is so many iconic styles in the game that dressing based off a character from DC is encouraged.

Moral of this post, You can dress like a green lantern, superman but dont call yourself hal jordan/superman
  11. John New Player

I try to make my names as original as possible its hard it takes hours but its worth it
    • Like x 1
  12. Creid New Player

I'm not sure the colors are what really matters. I mean Batman wears all black and lots of Marvel Hero's wear a lot of black or black and red or just red, the Flash is predominately red. The styles I understand though, demonic looking is more villain ish... Weird thing is though, even taking that into consideration, I've seen some pretty strange looking Hero NPC's. The name thing though... Yeah, I'm with you there on that.
  13. John New Player

why is the troll in your sig a green girl innocent girl?
  14. KidVicious93 Well-Known Player

What irritates me the most are marvel inspired toons.
  15. Batman Beyond Well-Known Player

The real question is why post a unconstructive thread in Gotham City instead of Joker's Funhouse?

And why are you bothered by something as small as names to the point where you make a thread on the forums?

To each their own, but I'd rather see a Lantern clone using Hard Light over Generic Man, or UchihaSwag420, at least with the Lantern Clone I have an idea that they are a HL DPS or a Controller, then too I focus more on their gameplay than their name.
    • Like x 2
  16. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

???

There are a billion "killa" in the game.

I would bet that there are more "killa" toon then there are actually Batman toon.

And I am sure that all the "SupaKilla", "KillaDude", "KillaElite", "UberKill4".... that they all think that their name makes sense.

I am pretty sure that they all use those name thinking that it suits their characters well.

"SupaKilla" uses guns.... gun kill people. The name fit well.

That doesn't change anything.

And many look down upon all those "Killa"names just as much as any "xxBATM4Nxxx".
    • Like x 2
  17. John New Player

Yea when making a character I try to not replace

the er or use alot of Xs

then im just another unorignal :(
  18. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

If you have fun with your character.... it does not matter. ;)
    • Like x 3
  19. John New Player

It does lol that **** gives me anxiety every time I think about then I just delete my character lol
  20. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Let's take both extremes;

Creating a character that already exists.

Even creating an existing character... one can get creative a bit and tweak that toon as he likes.

To me the Knight helmet screams "MAGNETO". But I made my Magneto Black and Yellow as opposed to all the Red and Purples ones we see in the game.

Heck now with the Armories I can have both. I can now have the Red and Purple look for my DPS Magneto.

[IMG]

Creating a new "original" character.

[IMG]

Sadly a lot of "original" characters look pretty generic. Or a lot of them uses the same looks... or even almost the same names.

At some point you would have a lot of original characters like "SupaKilla", "KillaDude", "KillaElite", "UberKill4".... and all of them would wear T3 Kyptonian gear. So a lot of those "original" characters all had similar names.... and all looked the same. So a lot of "original" characters had a similar look and a similar name then many other "original" characters.

It may seem "original" to them.... but we still see a lot of similar generic "original" characters. I pretty much prefer to see a Batman clone... then to see an "Original" "SupaKilla" that looks like dozens of other "original" "SupaKilla".

But maybe that is just me. ;)
    • Like x 1