Why do so many people in DCUO lack creativity?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Franchise, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Crimson Jonni New Player

Well i mean, my character's first name and current name is Crimson Jonni cuz i gave him a red costume when i first started 3 years ago lol. A large spark with slimline, chevron boots, and a cape completed with spiky hair and a masked devil mask along with ice powers. I thought i was the epitome of sweg. Then Light powers came out, and being a GL fan , i decided to get the powers and make my character a GL. Since then ive often found myself narrating my adventures outloud embarassing as that might be. When WOTL came out i croed tears of joy cause the scion of ion gear could finally make me look like my own legit GL. Of course i still make a few subtle changes to diffrentiate like runes of the east shoulders and Dv boots or Nightwing's mask, but i like that sense of being modeled after lore y'know?
    Thats my story that i dont think anyone asked for :p but whatever. However i do see what you mean, ive seen so many guy gardners, supermen, and batmen that its kinda annoying. But its their character choice so i guess they can do what they want
    Edit: woah thats long
    • Like x 1
  2. Crimson Jonni New Player

Gotta give em some credit though, the ironman toons look pretty decent more often than not
    • Like x 2
  3. Errorcode1058 New Player

ExcreMentalist… because sometimes you really just want to be a crappy troll. Guess what I look like.
  4. BipolarDiva Loyal Player

what? most people in life are not very creative. musicians, engineers, inventors. other than that and writers, not much.
  5. bull425 Well-Known Player

I think part of the problem is they don't allow different variations. For example, no hyphens, or apostraphes, or periods. Why kind I be Sgt. Major Killjoy from the UK? Why can't I be Uber-Agent or Kat D'Amico? It's very limiting and thus creates all the xxx's and numbers and so on. I would have thought that the naming convention would have been one of the most basic things.

In terms of making their heroes look like current heroes, why not? It's an homage to those heroes they like. I'm more annoyed by the above than the copying of existing looks/heroes.
    • Like x 4
  6. BipolarDiva Loyal Player

7. Crimson Jonni New Player

I have personally never seen a single kyle rayner online, its always guy gardner. Ive also never seen John Stewart at all. Speaking of which, i always seem to find male circes. ALOT of male circes lately lol. Ive seen a bunch of dbz characters, even considered making on myself. And a vast plethora of Hulks and capt. Americas. Hate the hulk tho
  8. Starblast Well-Known Player

just because you are a musician, engineer, or inventor does not mean you are necessarily creative. just because you can play 10 chords on a guitar and do an AC/DC cover doesn't mean you are creative. It just means you know how to play guitar. Being an engineer just means you studied engineering. Anyone can an invent something but you have to have money and marketing to do it. It doesn't mean it is necessarily creative it just means you made something up in possibly 2 minutes and the gimmick sold. You can still be a writer and not be a creative it just means you told a story and used spell and grammar check.This is not an insult or that it isn't hard work or anything.

with that said...those jobs you still mentioned definitely can be creative but so can any other job or activity...people just for the most part make no attempts to be creative cuz there is no payoff. I mean...having a cool looking name or toon in the game does not mean you can plow through A&B or solo heal paradox, so being creative is not a priority.

however...being creative just in life in general...will make you stand out.
  9. Lucaefor New Player

How the heck did this thread get 109 replies?
    • Like x 1
  10. BigAl Devoted Player

I like to think there are plenty of original people as well. But as the years draw on, its getting harder and harder to get new ones.
    • Like x 1
  11. Celestial Demon Dedicated Player

Meh, go to Oan Sciencells. You'll see Red Lantern Enragers who are lanterns with speed. I also don't think Vice flies either..so there's that.
    • Like x 2
  12. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

Well if your the first person with the name you were pretty creative in my book lol.

Off Topic: How about Mira Jane in the current arc? Kicking ... and taking names!!
  13. HardlineHero Committed Player

What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet. - William Shakespeare
    • Like x 3
  14. Maxx_Watt Loyal Player

I think its the generation the majority of the players come from, the ones who have grown up on reality TV, the ones who get awards for participation because everyone is a winner. I blame the public school system for churning out mediocrity.
    • Like x 1
  15. Wildboy Committed Player

I like when people use the iconic names in a clever way. From not too long after launch, I still remember running into:

FromRussiaWithBatman
    • Like x 4
  16. BipolarDiva Loyal Player

17. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

When you consider most people fall at the first hurdle which is naming their character (usually with an uncapitalised first letter, as well, might I add) and clone their rotations from YouTube because you're too lazy to experiment, it doesn't surprise me one bit that most people wear the same crap or copy characters.

It used to bug me but I've been playing too long to care anymore. You'll stop caring eventually :)
  18. Meta Flare New Player

I'm not current on fairytale. I'm on episode 160ish. The new oracion seis just showed up. Actually the last episode I saw was where Mira Jane beat racer lol. She is by far my favorite. It's funny cuz at first she seemed so useless lol. Was I ever wrong.
  19. Rassophore New Player

Meh...who cares...if their joy is RP'ing as a known character (or even if they just want to play a homage toon), let them.

Find your joy, and leave them to theirs. I've had several "homage toons" myself over the 3 years we've been playing this game including a Quicksilver, a Colussus, a Sue Storm, an Iron Fist, and a Gambit. They're just for the giggles, and are fun for me.

They're not hurting anyone. If it's affecting your RP or your immersion, just pretend they're fanboys of the hero or whatever.
    • Like x 2
  20. Bruherd New Player

True about the color, but I mean it just adds to the villian look, Batman does not look like a villian and even the ones who do they soften the colors some.