Dev Discussion What foliage would you want for your bases?

Discussion in 'Developer Discussions' started by Revrec, Mar 24, 2023.

1. creatine1 Committed Player

bonzai tree[IMG]
  2. creatine1 Committed Player

cotton plant[IMG]
  3. EthanBlack Level 30

• Giant Venus flytraps that move.
    • Cattails for around ponds and water areas
    • pumpkins on the vine
    • corn rows
    • Tall swaying bamboo
    • rose bushes
    • ferns
    • You know the rose petals that fall from the ceiling? I would like to see that as four leaf clovers, autumn leaves, and mist.
  4. valarithtrea New Player

Id also love the nature items that we have and need more variety of them. Lily of the Valley, Dandelions, Bleeding Hearts, Chickweed-Evergreen flowers (which hold a special meaning to me), and love the idea of a Full Moon Night Sky/Camping/Wild Forest LARGE base so that the spring items like the Treeline wall and other flora and fauna where NO COLUMNS are in the base so that things I want to place in the area FIT. The walls can have the same graphic of the Treeline with perhaps a dusk background through the trees. A vision of a early evening with the full moon beaming down. Its 2024, devs can make stuff even better now - that is my hope.
  5. Micky Makz New Player

Here are some suggestions for foliage for your bases in game development, based on the type of base and real-world considerations:
    General Considerations:
    • Climate: The type of foliage should be appropriate for the game's climate. For example, a desert base would have cacti, succulents, and low-lying shrubs, while a tropical base might have palm trees, ferns, and flowering plants.
    • Functionality: Think about how the foliage can be used by players. Tall trees can provide shade and cover, while low shrubs can offer concealment. Vines could be used for camouflage or climbing.
    • Maintenance: Consider the feasibility of maintaining the chosen foliage within the context of the base's location and resources. Plants with low water requirements are ideal for remote or desert bases.
    • Aesthetics: Choose foliage that visually complements the overall design of your base.
    Here are some specific examples, considering both functionality and real-world facts:
    Military Base:
    • Desert: Cacti offer excellent camouflage and require minimal water. Yucca plants are another option, providing some shade and visual interest.
    • Forest: Evergreen trees like pines and firs offer year-round camouflage and provide building materials. Shrubs with edible berries can be a source of food for personnel stationed at the base.
    Space Station:
    • Hydroponics: For a more realistic approach, consider using hydroponics to grow plants within the station, providing both food and a sense of nature for inhabitants. Plants like lettuce, tomatoes, and herbs are good options for hydroponics due to their fast growth rates and compact size.
    Civilian Settlement:
    • Temperate Zone: Fruit trees provide a sustainable source of food and can be visually appealing when in bloom. Vegetable gardens offer a way for residents to grow their own food. Flowering shrubs and ornamental grasses add aesthetic appeal and attract pollinators.
    • Tropical Zone: Coconut palms provide food, building materials, and shade. Banana trees are another option, offering a quick-growing food source.
    These are some points that are crucially used by PC Game Designers.
    • Like x 1
  6. Dauntless II New Player

I'd rather have an 'outdoor' area to have plants make sense.