Watchmen in DCUO

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by MisterMeanwhile, Mar 14, 2020.

1. MisterMeanwhile Well-Known Player

Great idea, huh?

Should content from the beloved Watchmen be added to DCUO, not just the comic but also the acceptable Zack Snyder movie and the HBO series that clearly deserves a SECOND (if not more) season?

Nothing too big. Maybe add to the Style tab certain items like Rorschach's mask, Nite-Owl's belt, Sister Night's coat.

Also, add a Watchmen Collection to get stuff like back issues of Black Freighter, Trouble Alert, New Frontiesmens, Max Shea novels, The Veidt Method.

And wouldn't it be SO COOL to have certain Watchmen items for your lair? The Comedian's blood-stained smiley badge, Rorshach's journal, an intrinsic field separator, the Owlship, a Sally Jupiter photoset, a portrait of President Robert Redford.

and...discuss.
    • Like x 13
  2. Caroline Dedicated Player

Ugh, glad I'm not the only one thinking that Watchmen would be a really cool idea. I love, love, love the movie!
    • Like x 3
  3. EconoKnight XIII Legion

I would rather see an episode using the Charlton characters Watchmen was based on - Captain Atom, Blue Beetle, The Question, etc
    • Like x 11
  4. merrygoblin Well-Known Player

As interesting as the Watchmen universe is, I suspect there are a lot of people who might object to it being added to the game due to how DC got the rights to it. As far as I understand it, its authors basically sold the rights to DC for as long as it stayed in print - and DC have made sure it constantly stayed in print ever since so they don't lose the rights, even if it meant printing only a few copies some years - staying true to the letter (if not the spirit) of the agreement.

I also wonder how it would be rationalised, since the Watchmen universe is so low powered compared to the main DC multiverse (with the exception of Dr Manhatten), and pretty much all the known 'numbered' universes are accounted for.
    • Like x 4
  5. Solarbound Committed Player

I think I would lose my ish if that ever came into DCUO. It's actually something I've wanted myself after all of these years. But, we'll see, I guess.
  6. the solowing Steadfast Player

I would like to see the watchman Incorporated, but it's tone might be a little too dark for this game.
    • Like x 1
  7. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

I love Watchmen but would not want them in this game. I would hate to see those characters watered down to a PG-13 version.
    • Like x 10
  8. Stanktonia Dedicated Player

This would be cool, but we have to get teen titans go incorporated first....!!
    • Like x 2
  9. Black Jaq Devoted Player

Now that you mention it, there really aren't any any depictions of Charlton or Quality comics properties in DCUO. Renee Montoya is the Question, not Vic Sage, and Zinda Blake was created after DC purchased Blackhawk. I guess really there isn't much relevance these days though.
    • Like x 1
  10. Brit Loyal Player

I was quite surprised considering how Doomsday Clock was DC's major event for the past year, AND how there was a successful launch of a TV show, that we didn't end up getting a Watchmen episode roughly following Doomsday Clock for the purpose of folding Watchmen into the main DCUO universe.
  11. IonHero Committed Player

So this is a no?
    • Like x 6
  12. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

o_O
    • Like x 2
  13. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

Took me a long time to appreciate the Watchmen. I think I was too young to fully get it when it was originally published.

Still that ending. A giant psychic squid drops down on manhattan and we're fed to believe the public would buy its an alien attack and all the worlds super powers just fall into line?. How long does anyone think that would last? A few months maybe? Did Ozymandias plan on running with this ruse dropping down evil psychic squid monsters in various parts of the world every few months to keep it rolling?

And if Dr. Manhattan is supposed to know everything wouldn't he know killing Rorschach does nothing. Rorschach sent his journal out into the world for the truth to be discovered?

Anyway no reason we can't have a few Watchmen inspired styles and base items. Rorschach's mask is a given as would be a material inspired by it. The Comedians shoulder pads. A Dr. Manhattan cod piece...
    • Like x 2
  14. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

Been asking for years, back in 2017 ishh i got a dev ( i don’t remember which one, im not sure if they even still work at dcuo bc I haven’t seen them in along time) say that he/she loved watchmen but they didn’t know if dcuo could live up to the dark tone that watchmen had.. but times have changed weve had justice league dark & metal so its not as peachy as it was then ( it was back when the second pt of the lantern trilogy dropped)
  15. Jay Leon Hart New Player

Mostly just this :D
  16. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Considering some of the "I need a shower" vibes one can get from the aspects of the Metal content and the Justice League Dark content, Watchmen might not be too outside the zone. Some things would have to be toned down, for sure.

Even so, I think there's a lot of territory left to be covered from the main DC universe before we need to tap into Watchmen. Even with the connection made via Doomsday Clock, there's likely to be as many (if not more) folks who would rather see some Legion of Super-Heroes content or some Doom Patrol weirdness in the mix.
    • Like x 6
  17. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Batman, Robin (Damien Wayne), Red Robin, Red Hood, Batwoman, Batgirl, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Arsenal, The Question and countless others would say hello.
    • Like x 5
  18. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

That video just gave me corona...:(
    • Like x 1
  19. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Dr. Manhattan is very much present in DCUO (at least on the US PC/PS4 server) going by the name JOsterman MD. He’s an Atomic Tank
    • Like x 3
  20. MisterMeanwhile Well-Known Player

Here's what I've came up with.
    Collection
    Back issues of Black Freighter
    Max Shea novels
    Under The Hood
    Back issues of New Fronteirsmen
    Back issues Nova Express
    The Veidt Method
    Gunga Diner menu
    Burger's N Borscht menu