Watchmen in DCUO

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by MisterMeanwhile, Mar 14, 2020.

1. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

I respect creator Alan Moore's position on DC's use of Watchmen characters. Obviously, DC has the full legal right to do so. But it makes the creator miserable and angry every day of his life. I don't want to contribute to that. Even though I think he should have understood how reversion rights work.
  2. willflynne 10000 Post Club

To be fair, there's a lot of stuff that seems to make Alan Moore miserable and angry every day of his life. Except for maybe Little Lulu comics.

Can't help it, that bit always stuck with me. LOL
    • Like x 6
  3. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Certainly true. He's a real Mister Crankypants in general.

But, still, in this case I think his feeling that he has moral rights in regard to his creations is reasonable, even if it's arguably "his own fault."

But I don't require anyone else to agree with me. I'm simply still not comfortable with engaging with material that I know enrages the creator. That's me. It's purely personal opinion and feeling; I would not argue that it's more. People are free to feel differently.

But I do hope DCUO decides not to make any use of Watchmen-inspired material. It's not as if there's a lack of other DC characters and stories that have yet to ever appear in DCUO.
  4. Critical Massacre Committed Player

I feel like all the Watchmen styles are already in game other than a couple of pieces like Rorschach’s mask and dr manhattans emblem on his head. I love the watchmen though and I can’t believe Zack Snyder was actually able to improve an already incredible ending. He just brought it all back home to the premise of movie much more seamlessly.
  5. SuperBell Loyal Player

I never watched the new Watchman show, so I can't say from personal experience, but I've heard they messed up the whole point of Rorschach to make him some Orange Man Bad cult following or something. I don't what that hysteria bleeding into DCUO, DC Comics, comics in general, or media en masse. Especially not right now.
  6. Wildcat Committed Player

I think we can visit his "universe" somehow.
  7. The Doctor Time Lord Committed Player

Which is precisely what would have to happen. Agree 100%
    • Like x 1
  8. MisterMeanwhile Well-Known Player

But wouldn't it be cool if your lair had an owlship or an alien squid?
    • Like x 1
  9. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

I could live with that sort of reference just fine. I just don't want to see the characters in DLC/Episodes. And I repeat that that's because I so love the characters, not because I dislike them. I love them in the original Alan Moore. Just not elsewhere or written by others.

But some visual references in furniture, sure, fine, no biggie to me. Besides, we already have Owlman from Earth 3, so people can just say his symbols are from Watchmen in their headcanon. References to most of the rest of the Watchmen would be endlessly more problematic than Owlman of either universe.

Usual disclaimer: just purely personal preference and opinion; I require no one at all to agree.
    • Like x 2
  10. travelingtheory Well-Known Player

wait there was a tv series?
  11. merrygoblin Well-Known Player

There was. Not sure for the US, but in the UK it aired on the Sky satellite channels. It follows on from the events of the comic (and not the movie), about 20 years (or so) later. Without going into too much detail for those who have yet to read/watch it from the beginning, it assumes the events of the comics all happened (that are different to the events of the movie).

For anyone who hasn't seen the series, I'd read the comic or graphic novel first if you haven't already - and Alan Moores own related book that he does get paid for (unlike the comic/graphic novel). The series is confusing enough to follow when you get the references to those events, it'd probably be twice as confusing if you don't.
    • Like x 1
  12. MrMigraine Devoted Player

• Like x 1
  13. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

HBO. Very high profile. Much press and viewership and internet talk. I recommend Google as your friend.

(I haven't seen it yet because I don't pay for cable or HBO, but plan to watch it sooner or later one way or another. Free trial, perhaps. It's not a retelling of the comics, but a sort of inspired-by. Some people loved it, some people hated it. Mostly positive reaction, though.)
  14. travelingtheory Well-Known Player

Im kinda cut off from the world. Im handicapped, i have nurses and aids. I dont get much time at the reddit water cooler
  15. MisterMeanwhile Well-Known Player

After going over part 2 of Doomsday Clock and the HBO series (expect a topic of a second series), I created another list of Watchmen content for DCUO.

This will be my final list.:(

COLLECTIONS
  16. MisterMeanwhile Well-Known Player

COLLECTIONS
    Chapters of Under the Hood
    Rorschach cards
    Sally Jupiter's photo set
    Wanted posters of villain like The Screaming Skull, Big Figure, Captain Axis

STYLES
    Lady Trui's coat
    Dr. Manhattan's shorts
    Knot-Top hairstyle
    American Hero Story scripts
    Seymour's smiley face shirt

BASE ITEMS
    Ferro Lad's flight ring
    The Adjournment movie poster
    Orrery
    Khandaq flag
    Shattered window showing New York including the Veidt building, the Gunga Diner elephant balloon and a blimp
    Shattered window showing the alien squid
    Carton of eggs with one glowing blue egg

LAIR THEMES
    Karnak with vivarium
    Owl Cave
    Dr. Manhattan's lab
    Mars
  17. the solowing Steadfast Player

i mean, hes not wrong....But i still love V for Vendetta.:oops:
  18. MisterMeanwhile Well-Known Player

Another idea of a collection.
    THE COMDIAN'S JOKES.

What would those be?
  19. MisterMeanwhile Well-Known Player

No one? Fine, I'll start.

1. "I'll fish them out."
    2. "The smartest man on the cinder."
    3. "You're turning into a flake."
    4. "It came true. You're looking at it."
    5. "It doesn't matter."
    6. "Long time, no see."
    7. "Is that what gets you hot?"
    8. "It's all a joke."
  20. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

Yawnn i say put it in the game who cares what he doesnt like.
    I was almost positive they were gonna pop in when they did the watchmen/justice league comics..