Watchmen in DCUO

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by MisterMeanwhile, Mar 14, 2020.

1. GoldenBrownDragonFire Well-Known Player

If not the characters, at least adding their styles to the game would be awesome
    • Like x 5
  2. Illumin411 Loyal Player

When this topic is brought up, usually the biggest devils advocate negative would be the need to heavily tone down the very rated R vibe of Watchmen. I myself am a bit torn on wanting Watchmen content because I’m such a huge fan and worrying about being disappointed that it wouldn’t have a anything close to a Watchmen “feel” due to the PG restrictions. That being said, it would be super awesome to actually get a forehead placeable Dr. Manhattan emblem for my alt. :D

Edit: Just realized this was a zombie post that I already commented on forever ago, lmao.
    • Like x 1
  3. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

There's also rights to consider. IDK if they could get permission, hard to know.
  4. mrcheap Well-Known Player

So will we have huge naked blue dudes with giant ding dongs?
    • Like x 1
  5. Yass Queen Hyppolyta Dedicated Player

Here's hoping.
    • Like x 1
  6. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Sadly no.
    • Like x 2
  7. NetworkOrBotnetGoodOrEvil Level 30

I like the idea of Watchmen, to be honest... But I'm gonna have to pass on this one. Watchmen means Dr. Manhattan and Dr. Manhattan means Death Metal, which was just a crap story arc. Gimme Blue Beetle instead.
  8. mouseymouse1976 Active Player

Lol XD
  9. Toshknight Loyal Player

WATCHMENT HELL YA BUT Zack Snyder's era, or frank millers, not the new one. totally a new age pandering to the political beliefs of the writers too much, the original watchmen, FOR SURE, they wrote politics in the comic books, the right way , with no morality and changes to make a the "good" or "Bad" Guys look like they are better people, The comedian was the best portrayed version on screen of any true cynical super hero would be in the real world. what they did in the HBO show was a shell of what watchmen is. so yea id love to characters similar to the on screen movie counterparts / graphic novel, "The Watchmen"

Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Edward Blake / The Comedian
    Carla Gugino as Sally Jupiter / Silk Spectre
    Jackie Earle Haley as Walter Kovacs / Rorschach
    Patrick Wilsonas Hollis Mason / Nite Owl
    Matthew Goode as Adrian Veidt / Ozymandias
    Billy Crudup as Jon Osterman / Doctor Manhattan

Though Frank miller wasn't too happy the way snyder put his own cinematic vision, and camera angles. he did a good job , yea it's a bit long and you goto watch the really long directors cut to really understand the movie, but it's deffinetly worth at least 1 watch.

but not the new HBO Modern future era, besides Jaremy Irons as Ozymandias, the rest is not good, it's worth a watch, but doesn't leave me as satisfied as the movie did. going back to the Vietnam war era, being they went to world war 1 already in DCUO, going to Vietnam would be freaking amazing. so much better then present day watchmen. the movie versions of the characters, are great, but just bringing those characters in general to the game, with a Vietnam type story line where you goto help them , because Dr Manhattan has gone mad early or a story is created to have him being manipulated by himself or an outside force, and the 1969 vietnam time period when they are at the war helping, something goes wrong. it does'nt go as smooth as the movies plot did, they interject the players into it , to help fix and help the watchment get dr manhattan back to himself so he can go back to grabbing helocopters out of mid air, and becoming giant man lol.

i could write a couple really good story lines for this game. in a couple days.
    Kudos to Original poster to thinking of this.

Cheers yal , MrSpeedforce Negative aka DarthSpeedforce

[IMG]

[IMG]
  10. Toshknight Loyal Player

yea i guess it would be altered, like they re did the way the red lantern rings actually work, but not sure if that is for players only. being the the rings we get for green/yellow light and even rage are suppose to be recruit rings with limited construct use that are only for the exobyte war, but they actually even changed and pg 13 changed the red lanterns in the comic canon? or am i wrong, cause i know blue lanterns healed supergirl the red lantern changes from her cellular level mutations from the red lantern ring. as well as her blood being turned into that vomit plasma red crap, and if one takes the ring of for too long they die.... we know that isn't in our game. but i agree, i wouldn't want to see the watchmen made for tv style pg storylines , i mean the comedian is an R rating walking so if they did have any of the watchmen, they would probably only have dr Manhattan, and only have the watchmen exist in passing, or in that dr. Manhattanis around but he can go to any universe he wants. so is just pulling from the multiverse theory as well.. very convaluted the changes can seem to DCUO canon being it is a mirror of the canon but with the brainiac exobyte story added to include the players. but i agree in total not to add a pg version of the Watchmen story or characters.
  11. Toshknight Loyal Player

actually that sounds awesome, the stuff about the lair items, and possible style items in total. collections referring to stuff like President Robert Redford, and other easter eggish story arks about WM, they could do that alone, just collections, about the watchmen, and have the rewards be the button , but i forget is there any blood in this game at all LOL, if they added the comedians button would it have the blood?
  12. Toshknight Loyal Player

lol i think they made it so he has a ken doll form in some instances
  13. Yass Queen Hyppolyta Dedicated Player

Actually the HBO series was pretty much perfect in terms of storytelling and in continuing the spirit and vibe of the original maxi-series. the piles of awards and nominations really underline that.

Regina King, flawless. And Sister Night was a fantastic addition to the Watchmen universe. Jean Smart's take on Laurie was excellent and Looking Glass was an amazing addition with a really cool back story.

Hopefully we get some Watchmen content in DCUO that touches on the original series and the HBO series while sidestepping anything Snyder did.
    • Like x 2
  14. Toshknight Loyal Player

so .. what i believe the snyder movie, is a bit too long, but it dives into a whole lot of stuff that was actually in the source material, it just made it really dark, the tv show i believe was shot well. the storytelling was good, i just didn't like how history didn't really teach anyone in the watchmen universe anything , dr manhatton just left the world to rot, i know he gave up on humanity at the end of the movie, and it works but i just didn't like how ****** things turned out for everyone, i like watching the watchmen minute men break down, with the og warshak and the cast was great in both instances. but yea. why would you want them to side step the snyder material, its all source material. just with some more grounded hardcore film/story telling style
  15. Yass Queen Hyppolyta Dedicated Player

My issues with the Snyder movie is that I feel that he fundamentally misunderstood the source material. The original comic was extremely dark, very political, ironic, bitter and a blistering indictment of so much of the ethos that defined the 80s. Snyder's movie was a boring slugfest that left all of the nuance and flavor of the Watchmen out of the picture in favor of action. And don't get me started on the botched ending.

To me, the HBO series is very much inline tonally with the original Watchmen series and takes up its themes in a contemporary way while dealing with the fallout bot micro and macro from the comic.
    • Like x 2
  16. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I'm not a huge fan of Snyder's DC work, but for the most part I think he did a good job of recreating many of the moments of Watchmen that fans of the original work might have been looking for. And I won't deny that he does know how to choreograph and film fight sequences really well.

But looking back I do think he missed the point of the violence in the original work and really missed the point about the characters. Snyder's fight scenes often glamorized the violence while the fights in the original work were ugly, brutal, messy and at times uncomfortable to watch. Meanwhile the characters, while trying to be heroes, are often far from heroic and are at times just as ugly and messy as the violence they engage in.

Snyder got a good amount of stuff right, but he did have more than a few "swing and a miss" moments with his adaptation.
    • Like x 2
  17. MisterMeanwhile Well-Known Player

I can't believe there's been no recent bumps. Everyone wants a Doomsday totem and a Streaky base item but not Nite Owl's goggles?

Here's some new items I thought of.
    Dr. Manhattan totem
    Ozymandias gold totem
    Nite Owl I/II totem
    Silk Spectre I/II totem
    Rorschach totem
  18. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Doomsday and Streaky fit this particular part of the DC multiverse better. Plus when you take into account one of the other threads celebrating the arrival of the Super Kitty (and asking for more kittys), it's safe to say that yes, people DO want a Streaky base item more than a small pair of goggles. ;)
    • Like x 1
  19. MisterMeanwhile Well-Known Player

What about Bubastis?
  20. MisterMeanwhile Well-Known Player

I am sadden that no one here is passionate about the subject of the thread as I am. Perhaps I'm just wasting my time but here's my idea on what the Watchmen episode should be.

Maybe it will spark some interest.:(

The player receives a message from Dr. Manhattan, saying that time is going unstable in his universe and needs help. The player selects "Watchmen" on the on-duty menu and is sent to the Watchmen universe, specifically the open world zone of "Broken Watch New York" (can't think of a better title) which is at the intersection of 40th and 7th street in New York.
    Time is fragmented into different parts of the last eighty years. The Burger 'n Borscht temporally shifts with the Gunga Diner, the New Utopia showing Pale Horse shifts with the old Utopia showing This Island Earth, Promethean Cab+Limos shifts with Promethean Cab Company, the massive Pyramid Mall shifts with the Institute for Extraspatial Studies along with Bernard's newsstand...and the alien squid.

Various Watchmen characters are spread out In the open world zone, with missions for the player. Nite Owl (Hollis Mason) is at the Utopia tasking the player to fight 20 Knot Tops at Mason's auto-shop. Hooded Justice is at Gunga Diner tasking the player to fight 30 Seventh Kalvary men. The Comedian is at Promethean Cabs tasking the player to fight 50 anti-vigilante rioters, looters and vandals. Dr. Manhattan is at the Institute/Pyramid Mall tasking the player to seal 35 dimensional rifts. Finally, Bernard is at his newsstand tasking to save 50 victims driven insane by the alien's arrival.

DUO
    Two players are transported to New York in 1940. The Minutemen are captured by the Masters of Crime, a group of super-criminals (Moloch, Captain Axis, King Mob, Spaceman, Screaming Skull) banding together to destroy the Minutemen and rule the city. The players fight through the MoC's goons to Madison Square Garden, where the Minutemen are to be publicly executed by Moloch's solar mirror weapon. The players save the Minutemen and defeat the MoC. However, Moloch and a mysterious man in a dark hood and cloak escaped through a dimensional rift.

ALERT
    Four players are transported to Gila Flats in 1959. They are greeted by Moloch and the mysterious dark hooded man who dispatches mind-controlled soldiers and Paradox Demons. The players are victorious but witness the dark hooded man kill Jon Osterman before entering the intrinsic chamber, preventing the creation of Dr. Manhattan.

FIRST RAID
    Eight players are transported to Antarctica 1987, near Karnak. The players fight through turrets and Paradox Demons as they to Karnak and fight armed guards until they encounter Moloch and the dark hooded, who reveals himself to the Moloch of 1985 bonded with a small alien squid. After killing the Moloch of 1940, the undead Moloch, or Squid-Moloch, explains that he's a scout for an army of alien squids from another dimension planning to invade Earth. Using Veidt's teleporter, the squids would create a portal to conquer Earth, then the rest of the universe, then the whole multiverse. The players fight with more alien squids and destroy the teleporter but discover that the squids are already building a bigger and more powerful teleporter.

SECOND RAID
    Eight players are transported to Mars, where the squids are building their teleporter (which has been the cause of the time fragments). The players fight with bigger and scarier squids, while placing time beacons built by Ozymandias and Nite Owl. The time beacons stabilizes the time fragments, bringing back Dr. Manhattan. Dr. Manhattan destroys the alien squids and seals the rift to their dimension forever. With time restoring itself in the Watchmen universe, Dr. Manhattan thanks the players.
    • Like x 1