Trailblazing Guide to Fire

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by Soulburn32, Feb 16, 2013.

1. JimsArcade Well-Known Player

OK I've done some testing on Flame Cascade's damage with a volatility of 1 vs. the max volatility of 3 to verify the tooltip's info.

Testing method: Character used has 4724 Might. 7 trials are performed (for statistical significance). To ensure all damage modifiers are equal, I have the Enduring Damage mod equipped. For a volatility of 1, I apply Fireburst first, then Wildfire, then one cast of Flaming Cascade. For the max volatility of 3, I apply Wildfire first, then Fireburst, then one cast of Flaming Cascade. Here are the results of the four main hits of FC:

Flaming Cascade w/ Volatility level 1 - Average damage per hit:
    • Non-Crit: 331.7 (x4 = 1,327 per cast)
    • Crit: 725.9 (x4 = 2,903 per cast)
    • Total: 430.2 (x4 = 1,721 per cast)
    Flaming Cascade w/ Volatility level 3 - Average damage per hit:
    • Non-Crit: 480.9 (x4 = 1,924 per cast)
    • Crit: 942.1 (x4 = 3,768 per cast)
    • Total: 662.1 (x4 = 2,648 per cast)
    Therefore, Flaming Cascade does see increased damage as volatility increases (in this test: over 50% more damage via Volatility lvl 3 vs. lvl 1).

I should also note: when casting FC, the combat log shows that Wildfire's dot's get transferred to FC after it is cast. While I don't include dot figures in my results here (there were too many to write down) I did note the first two test results and the dot's were about 50% higher as well. So there's a double bonus you're getting by increasing volatility for FC: instant and recurring damage.

:edit: Nevermind, I decided to do some more testing and FC's dot's are not always higher with max volatility. While I am seeing fewer dot's hit below 40 dmg with max volatility, they still occasionally occur. So please ignore my comment about FC's dot's being boosted with max volatility. The increased burst numbers from the first 4 hits are still solid, though.
    • Like x 5
  2. xSpartacusx Well-Known Player

Interesting, so not only affects burst move, but dot moves as well.
  3. Remander Steadfast Player

Interesting. I want to clarify something about your numbers, though. You said Wildfire gets transferred to FC? So, is the increased damage due to the burning from Wildfire or from a proc to FC? It would be nice to get some clarification from Tunso or Spord, though. This has me more confused than before.
  4. Soulburn32 Loyal Player

That is significant damage increase,
    Thanks for looking into it

I would be interested in a similar test using a power like Detonate to see if max volatility increases its damage in any way.
  5. JimsArcade Well-Known Player

The numbers I show are based on FC interacting with Wildfire's PI. The numbers I provided are burst damage purely from FC's interaction with the burning PI.

As you know, on its own FC no longer causes burning. However, If you look at the combat log, after casting Wildfire, its dot's no longer appear once you cast FC. All further dot's in the log are credited to FC instead. It essentially overwrites WF's burning dot with its own.

Also, please note the edit I made to my previous post: I don't believe FC's dot's are increased with volatility level. Just its burst damage is definitely affected.
  6. Soulburn32 Loyal Player

Does something similar not happen when you use Fireburst, I assume this change has to do with the extends burning interaction now on some of the powers.
  7. JimsArcade Well-Known Player

I was wondering the same thing. If volatility level affects the amount damage for more powers than just FC and Mass Det, this could have a significant impact on how we develop loadouts.

Let me work on it...

The answer is no. There is no difference in damage for Detonate between Volatility levels.
    • Like x 1
  8. JimsArcade Well-Known Player

Indeed it does. The extended PI gets credited to the power that extends it (FB, FC or MD), not the original PI (WF, Inferno, Meteor, etc.).
  9. Soulburn32 Loyal Player

Thanks for checking it out.
  10. jennifer0378 New Player

Where is JMonk and Dump Truck? Havent they weighed in yet on FIRE?
  11. jennifer0378 New Player

Kristyana too
  12. Fools Fire Loyal Player

Why are some of you using a Super Charge? Isn't it better to have the bar full and get the 10% damage bonus?
  13. TrueOlympus New Player

Some use it because WM (For optimal builds), forces you to "trim" your load out. It's the main reason why almost everybody uses a robot sidekick. Due to WM trimming supercharges can find a home on most loadouts.

Not sure about the dmg bonus thingy though. I thought that only refereed to specific weapon combos? Like focused Blast from 1h.
  14. jennifer0378 New Player

My take is fire is a lot like hardlight... Hardlight chompers does more burst damage when chompers is active thus it is not worth running ANY other damaging power in your loadout (all others support) Fire is is Inferno -> FW -> WM ->Spont COmbust ->repeat WM spont combust until burning or FW wears off.
  15. TrueOlympus New Player

Spont Com. Doesn't cause burning anymore. You NEED a PI applicator. And you have multiple choices in that regard for different situations.... It's cookie cutter.... but not THAT cookie cutter.

Everyone should be using Spont. Com. But I do think it comes down to preference concerning PI setters
  16. jennifer0378 New Player

Where is kristyana or Jmonk with the how to guide? Thats what im wondering... or Soulburn or DumbTruck
  17. TrueOlympus New Player

SoulBurn is on the previous page . Dump still plays, but is banned from the forums. JMonk is to far back for me to remember what happened to him and Kristyana still posts sparingly
  18. jennifer0378 New Player

That stinks. Thanks for the heads up. Dump helped me in the sparring target a few weeks back and he wasn't ever fire but showed me what to run after the T6 where i did poorly.

Kristyana I always read on how to tank. I;d rather play support. She/He sounded like they knew so much about tanking I wanted to read their thoughts on the new fire.

Looks like times change and a new guard is in control. Look forward to future posts and guides Olympus.
  19. Remander Steadfast Player

Interesting. So, does Fireburst also get a damage bonus? Sounds like the tool tips need editing.
  20. JimsArcade Well-Known Player

I was thinking of that, but since FB automatically provides max Volatility, there's nothing to test.