The New Harley Quinn - Rerecorded

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Torikumu, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Twelve Gauge Committed Player

I noticed that too, like the audio was somehow emphasized too much, almost too clear...i think i could even hear someone breathing a couple times...I honestly thought something went wrong with my computer lol.
  2. Balton hero Committed Player

I like the latest better than the same va's first attempt, although, on her second attempt, I think she voiced the character better in Harley's Heist than she did in Iceberg Lounge. She's learning, cut her some slack and give her some time.
    • Like x 1
  3. undrline Issue Tracker Volunteer

It's awful both ways, but then again, the lines are awful. The lines portray her as a quirky villain rather than a crazy b who gets off on death destruction and mayhem.

An example of a good line that goes wrong ...
    Expected: "oh you noticed? ^_^ yeah, the last one had too much blood on it."
    Actual: "awwww, you no-ticed <3 yeah, the last one had too much blood on it (inaudible shrug)"
  4. stärnbock Devoted Player

everytime you think it could not get worse... this is not exactly giving me goosebumbs anymore or levitates my hairs, but its lame though... sorry for the actress, she would fit into the role of olivia from popeye, or maybe marge simpson. but i think that theres only room for either the voice actress from before, or (not sure) the one from suicide squad... big shoes for so little feets.... in my oppinion, voice switched from over acting to underacting,,, with underacting i can live with. at least they tried...
  5. Frank Zarjaz Committed Player

New Harley = Mother Bear
    DCUO players = Goldilocks in full porridge critic mode.
  6. Pinky Well-Known Player

I just did the Iceberg Lounge solo, Harley's Heist duo and the Wayne Manor duo.
    I feel that the new recordings of Harley's voice are not an improvement. Very dull, nasal, and monotonous.
    The previous one was much better and more lively, much closer to Arleen Sorkin's version of Harley Quinn.
    I hope the devs can change it back to the old recordings.
  7. Crimson Veil Dedicated Player

After hearing it in game, I can say that I can hear all the VO now, some of the lines were muffled or kinda dropped out before...
  8. Skelter Helter Well-Known Player

I think Harley is trying to seduce me.
  9. Skelter Helter Well-Known Player

It's probably because the line reading was a bit slower this time around compared to before. I noticed this normally happens during a cut scene when the camera would cut to another character. Harley's was also the only character to have her lines re-recorded so that might have something to do with it.
  10. VIRALITY Dedicated Player

The re-recording sounds less like nails on a chalkboard.
    • Like x 1
  11. Morally Upright Well-Known Player

It's almost like DB had it re-recorded just to show people who were complaining about the last set that it can definitely be worse (so stop whining?). Sort of a "Oh so you think this is bad? Ok, here you go. Enjoy."

At the current trajectory, if there's more complaining and whining, we're going to get a resurrected Alan Rickman doing his best Marvin as the newest Harley voice acting work.
  12. DarkAya Dedicated Player

And I thought I still got a halloween hangover. Damn, it sounds so bad now, so lifeless. like 90 y/o Harley.
    I don't recognize the character at all.
    It wasn't that bad before, I got used to it.
    But now, even LEGO Batman has better Harley! :(
    She's supposed to laugh, squeak with that innocent girly voice, bring her charm back Devs!
  13. Erin Arror Dedicated Player

Dcuo community Tikkun did a Harley impression couple years back on the source cast. It was quite good and better than this VA (Sorry not trying to be mean.) Casting players may be tricky but if they did it with Greg Miller for Superboy;

Arleen or Tara Strong. Not even a big fan of Margo Robbie's Harley voice; but may even take that over what we have. Ones I named are unlikely, but maybe they could consider someone else other than the current VA. (Sryy Ms Jen Brown)
  14. Iconic Simulation YouTuber

lol I just watched and heard the Tara Strong voice for Harley and now I'm crying XD
  15. Alrighty Then Loyal Player

While I wasn't a fan to the new Harley at first; it did grow on me.
    Now it sounds as if her mother is doing it for her.
    Bring back the Old New Harley; we've grown accustomed to her voice.
  16. Nemisor Committed Player

i think that is infinitely better than the first time she did it.

the first time it sounded like a 80 year old woman who had smoked waaayyyy too long.

much easier to listen to now.
  17. inferno Loyal Player

I'm not tied to the original Harley voice actress from the animated series. The difference in tone was barely noticeable for me. The original recording of the new voice actress was better for me. She brought a mean-ness to Harley. Like she was off her rocker. The new recording sounds timid. As if she's trying to mimic the old Harley's way of talking but now her voice sounds completely different from the original; specially when she goes on a lower tone.
  18. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Huh.

My reaction is pretty short: Brown's rendition is now less grating and over the top, but at the expense of now barely sounding recognizably like Harley Quinn at all.

It's... sort of a mild improvement. Kinda. Barely. Maybe. Sort of.

But, and I'm truly sorry to say this, it still sounds inappropriate to me. Not Harley.

And I don't believe I'd only accept robotic duplication of Arleen Sorkin. I liked Margot Robbie's Harley just fine.

The point about Harley Quin's voice that still seems to be completely lost by the voice director is that Harley is supposed to sound charming and crazy.

This redone version bring's Harley's "charming" quality down from "horrifically repulsive" to only "mildly irritating, flat, and lifeless."

Harley is supposed to be evil, crazy, and yet-we-like-her. A killer, but adorable. And insane.

Jen Brown's line readings still give just about none of any of that. They're quite a change, but an extremely minimal improvement at best.

At this point I'd suggest recasting. Sorry, Jen Brown; nothing personal; Arleen Sorkin is a tough act to follow; maybe DCUO could find another, more suitable, role for Brown to read.

Find an actor who can do crazy-but-adorable. It shouldn't be impossible; god knows there are plenty of people out there genuinely like that.

[EDIT: for the record, I wrote the above before reading any comments beyond Tori's, so I wasn't influenced by anyone else's opinion. I'm both please and amused to see that my reaction seems to be largely shared by the majority, however.]
  19. Magnificent Loyal Player

I agree wholeheartedly. I just played the Iceberg solo on Live and heard her for the first time. It ranged from her sounding almost bored to as wooden as a 6th grader reading a text book in front of their class.

If I could do a decent impression of Arleen Sorkin's Harley, I would do the VO's myself for free just to save players and fans from this.

Seriously, this version makes the 6lb 8pz Baby Jesus cry.
  20. ShazamFan2014 Loyal Player

Why did they get rid of the other 2 voice actors anyway?