The evolution of dps - burst vs DoT

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Jim Dandy, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Dump Truck New Player

• Like x 1
  2. Dump Truck New Player

I think you're garbage because you have no way of keeping up but the rest of us fire players do. One of these things is not like the other-and most everyone here in this thread plays fire. BTW: I don't see anone here defending your position, you must not be reading the same thing we are.
    • Like x 3
  3. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

The problem with this way of thinking is that bosses aren't hard enough in this game to warrent the need to only want to be the best dps because enemies have so little hp and enrage timed bosses are few in number. As a matter of fact Gates is truly the only boss I know of where failure to burn the swarmers fast enough will result in a wipe. We can essentially take as long as we want for most bosses. Speed feats aren't critical to success. This is why I don't get why some people's egos are tied to a scoreboard which means nothing in the end if you can complete the challenge. Yes people like to compete with each other but we are not at the point where the most optimal dps possible is paramount to the success of a raid or an alert. I believe the devs wanted it this way up until this point. We shall see how encounters play out in the next DLC
  4. Massah Committed Player

I cannot agree that Gadgets and Hard Light are efficient at Dealing Damage - they usually have extremely bad Damage to Power efficiency much less than a 10:1. (which a 10:1 Damage to Power Ratio is rather sub-par anyway - I have seen great efficiency like 30:1 Damage to power Ratio in Gates with an Ice DPS destroying a Gadgets Damage Dealer and I have seen some melee Fire characters doing 800K damage while using only 68k power -in.......I cannot say the same when I see a Gadget or Hard Light it is usually almost 100K more power-in for the same amount of damage - that is not what I would call efficient.
    • Like x 4
  5. Worlok New Player

gadgets is far more broken than hl is this aspect. but they are broken because they have relatively short cast times that can be clipped quite fast. soe needs to work on clipping speeds like they did with weapons recently.

if gadget powers did more damage and clipped slower it would be much better. with hl, players combos just need to be a better alternative to clipping two hits it.
  6. Drift Hazard Dedicated Player

I once got a higher damage out than an overgeared HL player in a T1 duo. Granted, it was only for a few hundred points but my point still stands. The difference was that he could wipe out boss enemies faster than a blink of an eye, while I can wipe out multiple adds faster. He was pure burst, I was mixing both DoT and burst. The catch? I was using Mental alt, who also happens to be missing a few T1 gear when I ran the instance.

Dunno why people like you say that playing Gadgets and HL = instant win. Gadgets is far from efficient from what I've experienced. I find them to be horrible at AoE damage and uses way too much power for my own taste. Can't say much about HL though but they seem to be on the same boat.
    • Like x 1
  7. Soulburn32 Loyal Player

The only reason gadget is topping boards right now is we are waaaaaaay over geared for the content we are running

so instead of a marathon like we used to run (fos2) we are running sprints

so guess what wins in a sprint?
    - burst damage

the only reason hl keeps up or wins is they have very high sustained dps but no real burst but in a sprint it all comes out about the same

what has changed for fire?
    - fire is now a DoT class with some burst damage powers
    - we are still an add killing powerset, always have been, always will be

if you really think gadgets is the almighty god of DPS now, take this challange:
    have every DPS and Troll wear only T2 gear, no mods, no home turf bs and go into FOS2

see if you don't put them in their place with the loadouts Dump, myself and others are showing people how to use
    • Like x 7
  8. JessTier New Player

Speaking as a Gadget powerset, Trolling is VERY good, but the DPS is VERY power hungry and most gadgets users hate the idea of changing their play style so wont switch to a more prec based build. I'm currently playing with my load out and armour to see if I can find a better solution to the problem. I'm currently only T2 so it's still dicey trying to get it to work (I miss my T4 toon sniffle sniffle). But I am finding some good ways to have sustained damage with precision instead of might, but that might just be my playing style as I tend to run as a troll a majority of the time so I'm trying to break myself of ranging everything. I spent almost the WHOLE DAY today in front of a target dummy practising different combos and loadouts.

Our main issue is lack of DoTs, this forces us to do more weapon combos and use powers to get the damage buffs. and as for your FOS2 Challenge,I except :D as long as I can role as a troller :D I honestly think in that situation, being a controller that CAN CC when needed would come into play more too :D
  9. Octantis New Player

I'm the noob DPS that still uses mainly weapon combos and a 50% multiplier ... I use powers for PI combos ending with the 50% damage buff then combo my way back to full power. That's my play style since the beginning and hasn't changed. I know I'm not going to win any prizes in a Raid, but honestly I've never tried.

But I will share a funny story that happened twice. Sigma has absolutely no DPS innates or iconic powers. His DPS gear is all Turf quality and unmodded, and uses a 2 Hander. Typical rotation is: Home Run Swing clipped to either Icy Weapon or Cold Snap for the chill stacks, whichever one is off cooldown. Once Ice Armor is up I spam Doom Spin to get Power back along with Icy Weapon for the additional ticks. I will occasionally throw in a Bitter Winds / Resonating Gale combo for Ice Field, (using both after a Home Run Swing clip).

Okay, anyway, moving on: I have beat out ram/trap/fan Light users in Duos and Alerts twice, and I know gear is not the issue because even if their gear was worse than mine they should have beaten me (or at least that was the case when I was Light). I may not be full T4 and modded, but my damage out is really close to those guys'. This has also happened against other power sets. Not sure if it's Ice, or the 2 Handed weapon itself, or Me (pretentious?) that is the determining factor, but my play style of using my weapon and a 50% damage buff seems to work just fine. Can't wait to see my numbers when I mod my gear and have enough SP to get the weapon crits.
  10. Snix Dedicated Player

With the Devs making raid enemies healthier higher and higher us Nature DPS have become awhole lot better than we were during the Batcave series. Since then my loadout and playstyle has changed alot. It changed from (trying to) stacking my dots, buffing with carnage/hive mind, and ranged weapon attacks to stacking my dots quicker (Thru clipping) and using heavy melee combos (Clipped with a power).
    • Like x 1
  11. TrueMarvel New Player

As a T2 fire dps, I can honestly say I have not "lost" to any dps in my cr range .
  12. Zim New Player

You really cant boast when you are beating someone in an alert or duo. Most of the time the winner is the person who gets to the adds 1st. By the time that the person behind gets to the adds, they are all dead. The only real place that we have to test are damage out is Gate and Prime.
    • Like x 1
  13. TrueMarvel New Player

No. Gates has no adds that interfere with player rhythm. Gates doesn't test skills. It tests gear. Prime is most definitely not either. Single target powers are at an extreme advantage. Fos2 is by far the best place to test
  14. Zim New Player

How do you know? You said you are only T2.

Alerts, duos, batcaves, are all a race to see who can get to the adds 1st, and as well as the FOS's to a certain extent. I am not saying that gates and prime are the TRUE test to someones DPS skills. I am saying it is ALL that we have ATM. They are the only instances we have in the game where someone cant run off by themselves and start killing adds without getting killed themselve.

I am talking T4 players. NO ONE in this game right now is going to say "Hey let me go test out my new T2 gear".

FOS 2 is a joke, that raid can be 5 manned.

I actually unignored you to comment back. Reply with some solid counter arguements if you dont agree and I might keep you unignored.
  15. Clutch Committed Player

My snuff out hits for over 4k when they are below 35%
  16. Clutch Committed Player

I don't know how clipping is on ps3, but with the way it is on pc, a great gadget/hl dps should probably beat fire more often than not, but fire can definitely keep up. Since everyone is using gates, when fire is doing 800k-1mill+(depending on skill of other dps) damage with no wipes, I know it's good so who cares about being a the top of the scoreboard? Honestly, it's pretty arrogant of you to say a powerset is garbage just because you haven't had success with it.
    • Like x 2
  17. OMAAR New Player

As efficiency goes HL is extremely bad.

When the new content comes with mobs having a large health pool, dot-based powersets will reign supreme.
    • Like x 3
  18. Nekron 99 Loyal Player

When I am the only Fire player in the group I am very well matched with some great Gadget and HL DPS that play. I have topped scorecards by alot and we've come close, but I can't ever remember losing by any significant amount when I'm the only Fire power player in the raid. Now if you have a Fire Tank or another Fire DPS in there casting some of the same powers you are, then yes your damage is reduced. I think balance is relative to how you view it. The power alone is balanced with others, but the teamwork portion of the power in my opinion is not balanced due to the amount of overwriting that occurs with Fire and can be easily avoided in Gadgets and HL.
    • Like x 1
  19. TrueMarvel New Player

Um. I have T4 characters. You really think I've only been at T2 level? Fos2 was worlds harder than gates when it first came out. Only overgeared players find it a joke... gates and prime are all the T4 players have. But in terms of pure testing of skill fos2 is a far better choice. Put on full T2 and get to burning. Not sure why you think I care that I'm on your ignore, personally I hope people like you ignore me. Please continue to do so afterwards.
  20. chaoticreign New Player

You want to really test DPS run an alert or raid with a 4man 8man team all in dps and see who wins. Too many dps are one trick ponies who whine when the team does not play only around them... more power, more this, more that etc.

A good dps can self sustain and play with good teams and bad teams. Can put up good numbers with both top of the line trollers and trollers who are just learning or flat out bad. Too may of the "top" dps'rs I know can only put up numbers with 2 fully geared battery trollers and a team that babies them... as when they are on any other team they quit and whine to hide how poor they are.

Then there is also buffs and soders etc. You want to really test who is better equalize the variables... same number of soders allowed, same gear levels, etc.
    • Like x 2