The evolution of dps - burst vs DoT

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Jim Dandy, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Peacemakaz Committed Player

All the power sets do nearly the exact same damage. Certain things will push you over the top, but generally if you know your role well enough, you will be able to do almost identical damage as the next player. Dot classes excel in prime, while burst damage will have a slight advantage in gates, but the differences should never be over 50-100k.
  2. Jaye31987 Well-Known Player

I believe you are right to a certain extent. I believe all powers are somewhat equal when you compare "damage to power" ratio. The thing is, some power animation are so short that they have the opportunity to clip more combos and use more power, while other powers you don't have that opportunity.

I consider myself a good DPS (Dump saw me DPS), and I did a test run in DPS today with my friend who is gadget. The test was no debuffs and we was the only 2 dps in the gates raid.

Results:
    He ***** my damaged but he also used a lot of power.

Final score:
    My Gadget friend: 1,020,000 DMG and Power-in 220,000 (His power-in is due to his play style)
    My Fire DPS: 700,000 DMG and Power-in 120,000.
    320k damage difference, double that and he would be at 2.02 mil and I at 1,400k with a 640k damage difference. It's a BIG difference.

I was also clipping non-stop like their was no tomorrow but he still used more power than me. Even though DMG TO POWER ratio I did better, the potential of exceeding in damage by gadget far out weights what fire can do.

I guarantee no fire player can come close to him in any raid regarding dmg.
  3. TrueMarvel New Player

Someone earlier said it best. Gadhets and HL are burst powers, but the only reason why they seem like the best now is because we are all overpowered for the content. adds die to fast for dot based powers to truly shine. When t5 comes, we will soon see " please nerf fire" threads or something equally moronic.
  4. Peacemakaz Committed Player

The only reason why HL appears so good is that it doesn't have to move around as much as other power sets and can begin to do damage from a distance while other people are approaching the adds. I actually don't even think that a HL is capable of beating top DPS in other powersets in raids where you don't have to constantly move around(prime?).
  5. Bonemonkey627 New Player

Uhu ? I'm not sure what you are saying here ?
  6. Bonemonkey627 New Player

Ran prime was using the hand meteor !! Dang thing would glitch and would not spawn in my hand !!! Fire is trash ! Melee clipping weak sauce
  7. TrueMarvel New Player

maybe your trash for actually using a trash move???
  8. Bonemonkey627 New Player

So your saying fire is weak sauce right ?
  9. Bonemonkey627 New Player

It was more of a test thing then anything ! There is nothing good about fire at the point ? We got bashed with fairy dust ! Plus I been around longer then you !
  10. Ink Soul New Player

Obvious troll is obviously obvious.
    • Like x 1
  11. Clutch Committed Player

How long was this run? I've done 1mill as fire in about 30min on gates when testing revamp loadouts. Power in was something like 160k-180k.
  12. Jaye31987 Well-Known Player

21 Minutes, at my rate I would have hit 1 million at min 30. You still can't compare our damages because we make sure the trollers did not debuff anything. I believe debuff is 20% (forgot the number)? So technically at my rate I would be at least 1,200,000 million at min 30, while my friend would be at around 1,751,000; over half a million difference! we also didnt use any trinkets, and no new dlc mods. So at my rate I probably would have hit 1.5 mil at 30 minutes.

For another perspective lets look at it in damage per minute

(Be aware that their was no debuffs, no trinkets, and no dlc mods used so our dpm would have been much higher, this is also including cut scenes, and looking at loot)

My gadget friend: 1,020,000 / 21 minutes = 48,571 dpm
    My Fire DPS: 700,000 / 21 minutes = 33,333 dpm

That is a 15k difference a minute with the variables stated. With debuffs, the spread would be even worst. A 20k difference. A top Fire player at this current state will never beat a top gadget player (such as my friend) in pve raids.
  13. Flint Lockwood Well-Known Player

There's no point to prove. That Dump Truck would lose, flat out. Buy a very substantial margin. I'm a villain anyway, genius. Anyway, that dude is a Pinocchio. A fraud. A liar. A banker. A no good lawyer. He's not beating a good Gadgets or HL player as Fire, period! And he actually used Gates as a testing ground? LOL! What the hallway section is supposed to save you? Dude, go in Prime and watch as you find your silly and pathetic powerset third from the top on the billboard. You see what I did there?! Listen, all you Dump Trucks can eat bologna sandwiches. You're very likely terribly bad and despicable horrible players who don't know a block from a lunge.
  14. ARI ATARI New Player

your ego is giving way to rational thought.
    dump truck would wreck you and your ego prevents you from believing that.
    • Like x 4
  15. OMAAR New Player

Come t5 dot-based powersets will be on the top again. For weaker raids/instances ( currently everything ) burst damage is better.

I would NEVER rule out any powerset.
    I have seen ice and earth hang with HL and gadgets.
    • Like x 1
  16. Dump Truck New Player

You're the best Atari! Thanks :)
    Prime is almost entirely single target damage - HL should destroy in there.
    Gates has the best for comparing. First two bosses are groups of ads - Next two are mostly single target.
    I think Atari can attest from experience, with fire I'm usually around 200-250k BEFORE we even activate the first boss. 600-750k after the 2nd boss but I've been as high as 950k after the 2nd boss in bad pugs.
    I think all the dps sets are pretty even when it comes to PVE - some excel more in certain content than others.
    • Like x 1
  17. Snix Dedicated Player

In most Gates PuGs I almost always put up a million damage or close to it as Nature. In Prime I'm usually always first in damage out but that doesn't mean I'm good though. It's the way my powers work which is why I always have the lowest power in as well.
  18. WeaponNine New Player

BUURRRNNNNN!!!!! DT wins
    • Like x 1
  19. Potent New Player

Why does everyone keep thinking HL is a single target class, when the main abilities they use are AOE's?(Hold Claw, Ram, Whipthrash, Fan........)

HL is a Burst Damage powerset, what is Burst Damage best for? Trash Mobs and AOE.

In fact, the most often I see HL's that are normally in 1st be put in 2nd.....is in Prime.
    • Like x 1
  20. Potent New Player

Debuff is 7%