The emotional spectrum, and why there should only be 1 more power.

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by GregDawe, Mar 3, 2014.

1. WildPegasusrs Dedicated Player

Actually the idea of trinkets could have been a great idea instead of getting a new power for every lantern there is. Get a ring trinket and you become a "Lantern", the corps symbol pops up on you as well as the adequate aura and your loadout is the one of Legends Atrocitus if it's a red ring trinket, Saint Walker's if blue ring trinket and either Hal Jordan's or John Stewart's for the green trinket and either Sinestro's or Amon Sur's loadout for the yellow ring trinket.

Afterall, like in War of the Light, sometimes characters become temporary lanterns. Could have been interesting to have that as a rare or not so rare vault trinket. Same could apply to the remaining colors without having to implement them as an actual power.
  2. GregDawe New Player

This is actually the idea of the current lantern powers. Technically they aren't lanterns, they are deputized lanterns of the respective corps. Which I am ok with.

But that is also a strong point of my argument against every Lantern as a powerset in the game.
    Most emotions dont have an actually corps therefore nothing to be deputized into.

The trinket however could serve as a 'mist enfused' kind of effect for the other non playable emotions.
    Like you said, the symbol comes on you (Flash style, merged with your current chest style) a mist aura.
    Maybe not change an entire loadout of powers, but replace maybe 2? that way you still have your powers + the effects of the emotional spectrum.
  3. WildPegasusrs Dedicated Player

Yeah two powers in the loadout could be nice.

And yes I agree with you against having every Lantern as a powerset in the game but because unlike every other powers, they're a group of their own, it's the Lanterns powers on one side and the other various powers on the other side. For those who watched wrestling in the late 90ies it's a bit like the "nWo vs WCW" thing here with Lanterns as a group "invading" factions more and more.

Maybe in that case DCUO should go the extra mile and do the next logical step, creating a 3rd faction in the game made entirely of Lanterns which could be that Expansion some are wishing to have. This would require a revamp of Hard Light and Rage powers, having the specificity to have each role avaialable because after all if a Green Lantern has enough will he could be a tank and if he's willing to heal he should technically be able to do so. In pvp a three-way dance could spice things up as well. For example a Green Lantern would have a tree for tanking, controlling and healing; according to how much point is allocated in a tree said role becomes available for them.

Or, instead of "choosing your mentor", for them it will be "choose your corps" and then have to pick either the tank powers, the controller powers or the healer powers. In such a case, I wouldn't mind having every Lantern corps available as it would be its own faction.

Afterall, how many of you have run into people wanting to form "Green Lanterns only" leagues (or Yellow Lanterns only)? This would be the opportunity for them to do so.

As for the Orange Lantern, it could be made a rare item or trinket with near Broken Stats that everybody would coveit. The catch being, whenever someone has that ring, s/he automatically receives a specific and unique aura showing the world that person has the ring and automatically toggles to pvp (even attackable within a group by group members to add some paranoia and put players in a Larfleeze state) and whoever kills that person receives the Orange Lantern ring from him/her. Thus being both a blessing and a curse to have that ring.

This would be a game mechanic changer for that faction but could be interesting and bring something new.
  4. The Lone Stranger Devoted Player

I throw up a little every time a new Lantern is put into the game...
    Which is really sad considering GL (Hal) was one of my favorite superheroes as a child.
    Also, when Kyle became the new GL, I thought he was a refreshing change, and I enjoyed reading about his growth as a hero and a Lantern.
    Then, the entire universe became schizo and people no longer know what an emotion is.

I mean... When was the last time you felt Will Power?

"Man, that makes me so will power!"
    "I was overcome with will power and couldn't help myself!"
    HA!

Will Power is NOT an emotion, and cannot logically be a part of an "emotional spectrum".

Greed, Love, Hope, Fear, Rage, Compassion, ok... we can feel these...
    But you have never and will never feel the emotion of will power.
    Will Power is the inner strength used to resist and/or overcome your emotions. IT IS NOT AN EMOTION.

The entire concept is flawed.

THIS is why Lanterns make me sick.

Maybe if the Green were courage? Even Arrogance... but Will Power?

CONCEPTUAL FAIL

EDIT: And I realize the devs at SOE working on DCUO didn't come up with this fail.
    It was in the comics. Then they had to rewrite reality because it was so bad.
    But then they decided that this failure was something they kept, even though it could not have happened, because (for example) Garth of Atlantis/Aqualad/Tempest does not exist and has never existed nor does/has Donna Troy (and her ex-husband and son were black lanterns, just like Garth). I'm sure anyone who read the Blackest Night could tell you a dozen reasons that it could not have happened in the New 52, even though it supposedly did. Why? Because the moron who created it is in charge of the New 52 and doesn't realize how stupid that makes him look beause it's his deformed baby.
    • Like x 1