The Cutting Edge Gadgets Guide

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by Penryn, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Penryn The Gadgeteer

For a pure ranged rotation, try:
    Gauss Grenade
    Fear Gas
    Paralyzing Dart
    Spin Draft (Skimming Power)
    Taser Pull

For mob situations, use
    Gauss Grenade -> Fear Gas -> Paralyzing Dart -> Spin Draft -> Repeat

The damage will be "ok" and a little bit high on the power consumption side.

For Single targets, use:
    3x Taser Pull -> Fear Gas -> Repeat

For the last slot, pick a supercharge, Neural Neutralizer, or even Holographic Decoy.

That loadout will allow you to stay at maximum range. If you want something that does more damage and plays closer to the target, let me know. I tried to avoid incorporating Stealth into the loadout since it was giving you issues.
  2. Batuba Developer

This is a bug. I'm working on a fix which I hope comes out early next week.
    • Like x 7
  3. Akumakazama Level 30

I've been using DCUO Blogguide for help, but they haven't been updating. I was currently using or doing this
    • Cryo-field [1M] (needs reload) > Implosion Mine [2M] > Gauss Grenade [3M] > EMP Pulse [4M] > Gauss Grenade [3M] > Implosion Mine [2M]
    Have fun mocking me over that one. Will try your loadout and practice. I've been doing ok with DCUO bloguide but some fights it hurts especially when I go mele. I am old school only people near the boss should be tanks, but oh well.

Also been going up and down this thread, nothing about tactical mods, what you should equip or is that our choice, nor where to get them. I know now not all come from Lair Dispensary.
  4. Akumakazama Level 30

Just curious to your feelings on subbing with these powers, ie
    Heat Vision or Sonic Scream for Spin Draft.
    Stick Bomb for Taser pull.

Been messing around with them. Other than Sonic Scream being too long of an animation, and others not being ready when you "clip it". I think Heat Vision is a contender, especially with the right Artifact. You'll have to tell me your reasoning with Taser Pull and Stick Bomb.
  5. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

6. Penryn The Gadgeteer

The thing about Gadgets is that you have a lot of viable paths for playing the powerset. There is no "one true" loadout or rotation. As you gain more experience, you'll find that it is often advisable to make adjustments to your loadout or rotation to fit a specific situation. When people ask for advice on building a loadout, I generally ask what their preferred playing style is and what they've been trying. I then try to make some suggestions or provide options so the player can accomplish their stated goals. I'm not here to judge, laugh, or mock anyone. Don't be afraid to try out new things. You might find something that works better for your playstyle.

The rotation you outlined above is a melee loadout and does have the potential to get you killed. It requires good knowledge of the encounter and is best played with a shielding power. If you aren't feeling comfortable playing it, try something ranged for a little bit.

Tactical mods are usually outside the scope of the Gadgets thread. Players ask about rotations and then select the appropriate tactical mods for themselves. If you have a specific loadout in mind, I can suggest the best tac mods for it. As is, it is difficult to provide generalized tactical mod advice. There are a lot of things to consider.
    • Like x 1
  7. Penryn The Gadgeteer

As I understood your post, you were asking for a generalized ranged build that could be used for mob and single-target situations that would perform reliably.

So here is the basic idea behind it:
    Taser Pull is your single-target spammer. It has a very lower power cost and no cooldown. You can use it with impunity.
    Spin Draft is a maximum range mob power that does good damage for its power cost.

Heat Vision is very powerful. Generally it is best used in a dedicated single-target loadout. I like to pair it with Taser Pull and Stealth. Use Taser Pull when Heat Vision is on cooldown. Clip a Taser Pull with Stealth->Surprise Attack when possible. There was some discussion on the previous page about single-target loadouts that utilized Heat Vision.

Sonic Scream does good damage, but is very hard to use in a pure power rotation do to its very long cooldown. You'll get better results if you don't try to use it.

Sticky Bomb for Spin Draft is something you can try. The knockback from Sticky Bomb annoys some players though.

Does that help?
    • Like x 1
  8. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Thanks Batuba! Your efforts are appreciated. I hope the damage registration delay issue gets sorted out too.
  9. Akumakazama Level 30

Dude, you're Awesome. Yeah for regular mobs the mele is fine but Boss Mobs, yeah I want to stay back. Yeah, I think the problem is I don't "know the numbers" I'm supposed to be pulling with my CR and Sp. So thanks again. I will play around with some of those moves in actual combat to see. Target dummy is good but not real play.
  10. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Let us know if you want any further advice or if that loadout isn't working for you. If you want advice on Tac mods, we can help out with that too.

I wouldn't worry too much about damage numbers at the moment. This game features exponential stat growth. That means that a guy 10 CR higher than you can put out a lot more damage than you using the same loadout. Nevermind someone 50 or 60 CR higher.

I would advise you to work on your Stat Points some. The game's stat growth curves assume your SP is equal to your CR. That will be problematic at higher CR since the power cost multiplier scales with the rest of the game's stats. To put that another way, you will run of Power faster if your SP doesn't keep pace with your CR.

Also, try picking up a couple of armories if you haven't already. It makes switching between melee and ranged loadouts much easier.
    • Like x 1
  11. Penryn The Gadgeteer

The Eye of Gemini
    I spent a couple of hours on the Test Server this evening seeing what I could do with the Damage role version of the Eye of Gemini for solo Gadgets builds. I really want to think there is some way this artifact can be used to enhance solo Gadgets output, but I just kept running into the same damage output wall no matter what I tried. For my activation supercharges, I tried Asphyxiation Gas, Vacuum Bubble, Neo Venom Boost, and Bunker Buster. I tried building a large number of loadouts built around those supercharges, but I always ended up in the same parser range. That range was only about 1k/s higher than what was possible on some of the highest damaging Gadgets AoE DPS builds that didn't utilize any supercharges.

The testing reinforces my notion this Artifact is best used when you have a lot of other people in the party running it. The benefits of it on a solo build seem minimal so far.
    • Like x 1
  12. Akumakazama Level 30

I will try to get SP up but thats another thread for help. Im currently solo.
  13. Xibo Loyal Player

If it is possible...

1) Vortex Cannon can't be placed on Stealth loadout, could be fixed?

2) Could Surpressor Turret be a permanent pet?
  14. Crimson Mayhem Loyal Player

They already said this during the revamp. It's a choice between temporary invincible, and permanent mortal. We were given the choice and the majority opinion was to keep it as a temporary invincible pet. I like it as it is since it's basically permanent in combat but still invincible.
  15. Xibo Loyal Player

Ok fine, since he is invincible, at least, Vortex Cannon on Stealth and no longer Dominance in the mines would be nice. I can't even use Thermite Mine + Fear Gas because of the damage loss.
    • Like x 1
  16. Illumin411 Loyal Player

No, Elite is all ranged, DW Flurry for ST and Explosive Shot for AOE. Like you said, too risky to melee elite. When specked all prec there aren't any ranged powers that compete on damage so it opens up slots for shields with help big time with survivability. Explosive rarely gets me in the top one or two for total damage but I'd rather be a boss killer than an add killer and I almost always top boss damage.
    • Like x 1
  17. CaptainColdJr007AKAFreeJohnson Committed Player

Yo. I just switched to gadgets and I'm assuming an old bug came back. Nothing is proc'ing what I'm assuming to be the bonus stealth damage besides EMP.
    on 3 targets:
    EMP-> 4 hits 30669
    Gauss-> 3 hits 13189
    Dart-> 3 hits 16500
    Sticky-> 3 hits 11888
    Sonic Cry-> 3 hits 10944
  18. Penryn The Gadgeteer

That sounds right.

The Stealth Damage proc has been like that since Revamp. Certain powers work reliably with it. Others don't. Not everything you can put on a Stealth loadout will trigger the proc.

Here is a list of powers that should reliably trigger the proc:
    Gadgets: EMP, Cryo-Foam, Surprise Attack
    Iconic: Sonic Shout, Heat Vision, Freeze Breath
    Movement: Most Flight powers, Most Superspeed powers, Half the Acrobatic powers
  19. CaptainColdJr007AKAFreeJohnson Committed Player

I'll test out Sonic then but fuhh that's cancer.
  20. Xibo Loyal Player

Pheromone Bloom in Stealth + Soul of Cloak + Eye of Gemini. This combination are fine to me until get the 160 level.

We still need the Supercharge Generator and Vortex Cannon in Stealth too.