Tank aggro

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Original Cryo boy, May 28, 2018.

1. Original Cryo boy Committed Player

So I thought I knew the answer to this but then my buddy told me differently so I figured I'd ask yal. Does aggro get generated by the tank anytime they use a super power or whenever they use a power that damages the enemy?

Still learning the revamp. Thanks in advance.
    • Like x 2
  2. BumblingB I got better.

Superpower. Shields will gain aggro too.
    • Like x 7
  3. Original Cryo boy Committed Player

Thats what I had thought originally. Ok thanks.
    • Like x 1
  4. Shark Dental Devoted Player

Is there a max range, I wonder? Is the effect (as far as aggro, not CC effects) of a multi-target melee pull limited to melee range, or does it taunt enemies further away as well? I know for sure it's not LoS, but I wonder what the effective range for aggro is.

I play fire and rage, so I always gather everyone up anyway, but just curious.
  5. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

Based on my experience, the range for getting aggro while using a power is about mid-range. I've run a lot of content where I was intentionally trying not to get aggro of certain enemies, e.g. Ares and his adds in Throne of the Dead while I was fighting Essence. In those situations, I have to be very careful not to use anything besides my single taunt if enemies stray within mid-range of my tank.
    • Like x 2
  6. BumblingB I got better.

I don't know, never tested, but I bet it's max range of the reticle.

If I remember right, the single target taunts also taunt normally as well. Just, if another tank does their aggro, whatever enemy hit by that taunt wont be broken away from. IE, allows for splitting.
    • Like x 2
  7. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

It is not max range unless the power used hits an enemy at max range. The most recent place I had to worry about it was Raising Hades for the Good... Hell Doggy feat. As long as I was out of mid-range range from the dogs, I could keep the big dog with me while the lesser dogs only jumped on me occasionally. I made the mistake one time of using my healing within mid-range, and the smaller pups came running over and wouldn't leave me for a while.

They don't seem to normally taunt anymore. There was an issue after revamp (and maybe it's been around longer) where lasso was grabbing multiple enemies. Since they fixed lasso to only grab one enemy's attention, it seems the other single taunts were also fixed to behave the same way.
    • Like x 1
  8. Proxystar #Perception

No it's based on your dominance. KEK.

Haha. No a tank will taunt the npc upon activation of a power, I believe for a duration of 8 seconds that's the time frame I use anyway.

The single taunt is used to taunt a specific target npc if you have a second tank.

For example if one tank wants to specifically target lashina and the other tank wants to target swamp thing, I mean stompah then they use single taunts on the applicable boss to ensure the boss comes to them and not the other tank

Any other questions let me know.
    • Like x 2
  9. Original Cryo boy Committed Player

I mainly wanted to make sure my ice tank, who uses hard light shield, amo deflect, reflect, winter ward, pull, SC was still taunting while rotating shields.

Thanks to everyone for the info.
    • Like x 3
  10. Proxystar #Perception

Correct your ice tank is still pulling aggro :)
    • Like x 2
  11. Shark Dental Devoted Player

Classic.
  12. Iconic Simulation YouTuber

That particular issue was fixed about 3 months ago, shortly after the revamp.
    • Like x 2
  13. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

You can also generate aggro by using the 'Shake' emote next to an enemy.
    • Like x 5
  14. Shark Dental Devoted Player

That only works on the forums. Pretty sure.
    • Like x 1
  15. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

There was also that one time in DWF, we were in the room with Steppenwolf and Stompa, we were 'discussing' the strategy. I swear to God, one of the tanks sneezed into his microphone and Stompa's fat *** jumped from the far side of the room to the door and KO'd a DPS that was standing too close.
    • Like x 5
  16. Proxystar #Perception

Stompa only goes for the flirt emote and likes it when you're wearing pink
    • Like x 4
  17. Great Architect Loyal Player

Hard Light Shield will not pull aggro. It's a superpower, but IIRC it's considered a Healer shield, not a Tank one :(.
    • Like x 1
  18. Original Cryo boy Committed Player

Interesting. It seemed to a few minutes ago but maybe I was just the closest to the enemy. It was a boss so I didnt pull. I started the fight by hitting hard light shield at mid range and he turned and started attacking me.
  19. BumblingB I got better.

The power is not what taunts but the stance you are in iirc.
    • Like x 1
  20. Great Architect Loyal Player

Run a duo with somebody that doesn't mind you Tanking - then *only* use HL Shield, and see if it performs as you expected.

But IIRC all the Iconic Shields are considered Healer Shields, not only for calculation of Shield resiliency, but for Role. The requirement for drawing Aggro for Tanks has *always* been "Use A Tank Power" (i.e. a power from a tank Powerset) - and Iconics are not unless they specifically say so.