Support roles in duo

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by VintageWine, Feb 5, 2016.

1. VintageWine Dedicated Player

This so much. Not to mention some groups want supports to run solo heal for example. Yeah...no. I like duos because I feel as if I can practice. Like when I first got weapon mastery, I ran duos like crazy.
    • Like x 2
  2. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

Yeah, any role, including DPS, the duo is the 100 yard dash - it's a great time to fine tune performance and experiment; it doesn't matter what you run as long as it gets done, so...
    • Like x 2
  3. VariableFire Loyal Player

I've yet to see a DPS complain about being about being abandoned if they're at minimum entry level. Moreover, the vast majority of the time I run into players at entry level, it IS support players, not DPS.
  4. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

???
    Support role at entry CR don't bring anything to the table??

As opposed to DPS at entry CR??

A DPS at entry CR will do less damage thanks to the CR differential.

A Troll will still give you power.
    Debuffs will still work.
    CC will stil work.
    Group shield will still protect you.

And Troll having trouble to PoT???
    The difference of PoT between entry CR and recommended CR is what.... 10 per tick?? 15 per tick?? When your PoT is 500+.... an extra 15 is negligible at best.

A Healer will still heal you.

I would understand if you said that ANY player at entry CR don't bring anything to the table.

But you trying to use that as an argument against the Roles make no lick of sense.

At entry level CR..... better to have a Troll that give power, Debuff and CC......
    or a Healer that heals....
    then a DPS that barely does any damage.
    • Like x 2
  5. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

The Flash duo is a tough one. I would be curious to see if anyone can do it when both players are at minimum CR.

???
    At 138CR you should be able to solo the Wasteland duos.
    Heck I solo them when I get to around 96CR depending on the character I use.

There was a time when it seemed that no one was doing them duos anymore.
    So I pretty much started soloing them when the queue time was taking too long.

I guess you just inspired my next video. ;)
  6. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

This.

In the new duos, I run as soon as I meet entry CR, I run support because your damage output is pathetic, but as a Healer, I can contribute, and as a tank or a controller? I can at the very least survive, also...

More or less, yes.

A lot of 'good' players have alts, and chances are equally good that you're getting into a duo with someone who knows the role, when you're queueing in with a support character. When I see a 114 DPS in a late content duo, I *know* that I'm going to be babysitting, because even if they know how to play the game, CR scaling means that the damage they're going to do is basically right at 'tofurkey sandwich in a potato cannon'.

At the very least, support characters can survive better than a DPS does and if you're only gonna do 10% of my damage out I (at the very least) expect you not to die. I realize that if I'm in a duo with a 150 and my CR is 117, the SAME thing is expected of me, and since I have half a plan, I can usually manage some useful healing, I can hold aggro, block, drink soders and pray as a tank, and as a controller... well, i mostly stand in the back, use power burst regen, POT and defense debuffs but even that helps.
    • Like x 3
  7. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Seeing how there is a LOT more DPS then support role.... I think you are exaggerating a bit too much.
    Plenty of DPS try to run at minimum CR. But somehow just don't seem to see them.... or remember them.

Also.... the CR differential means that DPSes will do a lot less damage at low CR.

The CR differential does not change how much power the Troll give... or how much healing the Healer does.

Better a low CR Troll or Healer then a low CR DPS.
    • Like x 2
  8. Pr0tojay Committed Player

the only support role i wont play a duo with is a troll...theyre just totally useless when i got my AM and dont lose too much power to begin with
  9. BipolarDiva Loyal Player

10. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

if anyones wondering where all the healers are they're trying to run the new duo. i had four pop in and out...while i was on my healer.

being stuck in a dup with a partner who isn't performing well is a drag. doesn't matter what role, cr, power.

i always operate on a sliding scale. it all depends on my mood, how much time i have to play. my ideal situation is 1 strong dps + whatever else.

I won't blatantly carry someone through any instance. if they try to slack i make sure to put them in a spot where they have to do something. I also won't put up with an ineffective dps.

i will take more time out if my partner is communicative and has a good attitude (this is my first time here, im working on a new power, dude my armory just ran out i need two marks to get it going again its going to be a slower burn etc etc etc).

rudeness is not tolerated at all.
    • Like x 1
  11. BRITTENY Dedicated Player

I really don't care who's in the duo with me as long as they're doing what they're supposed to do. For people to say that DPS are the only ones that can't pull their weight, all I have to say is LOL. I've been in plenty of duos where a support player queues in, yet doesn't play their role. No heals, no power, etc.

So please stop blaming all DPS as though they're the ones to blame here. They're not. Bad players are bad players, regardless of role.
    • Like x 4
  12. VintageWine Dedicated Player

I don't know what to say. Lol.

And trolls don't just give power back. I mean you probably already know that, yeah. But we aren't just a battery. There's something amazing when you're in a raid or any content of that matter, and you use a move that can stun the adds and keep them in their place. There's something there that just makes me personally feel good, not saying I'm the best troll around, however, I love seeing adds stun in their place, and the group can just do their thing.
    • Like x 3
  13. Domi Well-Known Player

I don't have a problem with support roles in DUOs. I mainly don't ever queue up DUOs with randoms though. I play with my bf for those. Even in there 98% of the time I am a healer.

People are just ignorant. I'd just play how you wanna play. Long as you get through the content in the end. DPS Online ftl.
  14. Pr0tojay Committed Player

You'd be surprised at the trolls that queue up. The ones i run into sometimes dont stun adds. Like today I ran the new duo and i had a 152 troll that couldnt stun the adds in the beginning. I ended up dying since i had the aggro, so i left even though he revived me. Im not dealing with that, no thanks.

Not only that, but you cant really stun the bosses anyway. So its 1 basically 1 dps doing all the work to kill the boss with all the aggro on him and no health being replenished.
  15. GhostFly Killah Committed Player

All of my support roles have an equal cr dps.. I run strictly dps in duos. The only time it sucks is if I'm on my nature dps. I can get through it, but I'm usually going ham on my controller and have sore fingers after lol.. so I tend to run those duos with league mate.

Things usually just go faster with 2 dps.. but it's certainly not a big deal.
  16. KlausKilowatt Committed Player

No matter what anyone says the short and dirty answer is yes it is very frowned upon. If you dont believe it just enter any of the new duos as a support role on the lower end of the CR spectrum and see how many people walk straight out on you, it happens quite often. In all reality though unless you are under geared or incompetent there is really no need for a support role in a duo. In a duo power is not usually an issue that a soder won't fix, a tank is really not neccessary, and lack of a healer is often off set by the extra damage.
    I personally dont mind running with a support role as long as the person playing in the support role actually performs their job and we are able to complete the instance. Heck if I am able to help a person on the lower end of the cr spectrum or someone who only plays a support role get their duo in I'm glad to help. In fact I helped a 112 cr tank get through the CZ and FMB duos earlier today because I was on a toon who's cr permitted it.
    I think most of the hate stems from the fact that people want to blow through the instance as quick as possible. However on the flip side of that coin I will say that if I am on a toon that is on the lower end of the cr spectrum myself and know that the match up is going to be a issue I really don't want to spend 30 minutes in a 10 minute duo just because someone is too lazy to buy an armory.
    • Like x 1
  17. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

Just a little update.. So far I have completed 7 First Piece duos and 5 of those 7 have been as TANK. The last couple have been VERY interesting. I did one early where on 2 of three bosses the DPS managed to die from AOE.. because I was using Atomic and ABRA and Heat Wave never once moved away from me and I have one heck of a time, with ABRA keeping my Aura up because aside from any AoE damage everything was coming straight at me. Then there was the LAST just a while ago. CR 148 RAGE DPS and again my CR 152 Atomic Tank. DPS died again battling Heat Wave and I checked the scoreboard afterwords because my so called team mate was AWOL a lot during mob battles.

Final score Damage out Atomic Tank 3,417,285 to Rage DPS 2,179,927 Heals Atomic Tank 437, 796 to Rage DPS 183, 655
    Power out Atomic Tank 108,566 to Rage DPS 91877. Oh and we took 42 minutes to complete the thing because after we (I) beat Heat Wave my "team mate" said brb and disappeared for a while. So basically I am pretty sure at this point that if I had to I could Solo the thing.. But we don't want my TANK on a DUO.. that's a support toon and they only belong on CERTAIN raids. :eek:
    • Like x 2
  18. DC Reaper Well-Known Player

no real way to do duo, but if you want it done well, 1 dps / 1 support role

speedy but risky 2 dps

both support role: super slow and waste of time
  19. KlausKilowatt Committed Player

Lol, nice story. Yes you are correct, all though Atomic tanks do great damage for a tank, the majority of players still do not want your TANK in a DUO.
    • Like x 1
  20. CrazyArtBrown Dedicated Player

I meant Wasteland Wonderland at the minimum CR. That's tricky at the minimum not because of the enemies, it's all the splash damage that kills you in there.

I have done solo runs of all the two easier T5 Wasteland duos (Cathedral and Knightsdome) at the minimum CR of 84 and with 20 SP. That was hard.