So, Let's Talk About The New Ep 44 Piles of Gold Base Items

Discussion in 'Testing Feedback' started by Achikah, Oct 12, 2022.

1. LeatherJacket25 Well-Known Player

I’ve reported that last one in case no one else has.
    • Like x 2
  2. UT Firefly Well-Known Player

thank you lol who cares if i get banned or dont be active here anymore ...?
  3. Achikah All About That Base

• Like x 3
  4. OneWhoLaughed Committed Player

I saw the prices and heard the devs joke about them in the stream, could not believe it tbh.

I saw this thread, and also wanted to make noise on this matter. I would much rather spend 50-100 of that episodes currency than part with billions of IGC.
    • Like x 5
  5. Chewsy Well-Known Player

So now we are rewarding people who abused money dupe glitches or bought cash from gold sellers? Because those are the people with that much disposable DC cash.
    • Like x 3
  6. Hraesvelg Always Right

Hmm. I've been advocating for a cash sink ever since the inflation kicked in hard. I might grab one just to show support for the idea.

Edit: I do realize having static prices across the servers isn't quite equitable, since the cash duping wasn't exactly evenhanded. If I liquidate a couple of items in my hoard, I'll probably have the disposable billion in less than a week, for instance.
  7. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

I haven't seen the stream the Devs made which has been referenced numerous times in this thread. Do I understand correctly that they not only acknowledged the incredible high prices for base items but then joked about it?

To me, Daybreak & Dimensional Ink have a LOT, and I mean a LOT riding on the success of Sins of Black Adam. To antagonize yet another segment of the player base before a new DLC releases does not serve in the Dev's best interests.

This is an interesting development if it does come to fruition.
    • Like x 6
  8. Achikah All About That Base

There are several factors that made this sit poorly with me, but the casual musing and glossing over what those items were really for live yesterday is what really solidified my rage over all this.

To each their own, but if you think this is an effective cash sink to where old money and gold buyers will spend their riches on a single piece of featless furniture, you're sorely mistaken.

Personally, despite my want, I'm fully boycotting all treasure piles, even the cheap ones. I'd rather mind numbingly grind out Bombshell Paradox for the 800th time for Piles of Coins and Treasure than support this ploy.
    • Like x 4
  9. Achikah All About That Base

It's around the 42 minute mark on their VOD. They weren't outright laughing about it, but they did glaze over it as a "flex" item, saying it was an item to reflect your wealth like a bragging rights thing. Base items aren't for flexing, and anyone who thinks they are isn't truly a decorator, at least not the sort I've met. At least have the decency to call it what it is- a cash sink.

There are a lot of factors that culminated for us decorators to be upset, but their tone and brush-off definitely didn't help the situation.
    • Like x 3
  10. GermanM Committed Player

No base items for me this DLC... sadly :(
    • Like x 2
  11. Kozzie New Player

With all of the recycled environments/content we've been getting lately, I'm thoroughly disappointed to see that they've put new stuff behind a "pay wall" that only the rich can afford to have. Good intentions don't always lead to good solutions. Not so excited for this new episode anymore TBH.
    • Like x 3
  12. BumblingB I got better.

The same thing happened with Tokens of Merit when they first introduced them. The average player couldn't use this feature that was designed to take money out of the game. I remember it was millions of dollars to get to the first feat threshold. It was definitely a source of outrage and ultimately it did nothing to take money out of the economy and was essentially abandoned as even a mark sink and they grant most of it already.

These items will be the same. You won't have hundreds of these items bought by the 1%ers, because they are zero point feats. You will have base builders and completionists buy them and lament about how much money they have. This is a bad precedent and it needs to be addressed. They need a better system than unequally introduce something as a sink and hope for the best.
    • Like x 6
  13. kingofthebeast Active Player

I agree that the prices are outrageous, however so are the ones the community puts out too. Mogs will charge double these prices for a single collection piece. Don't see why now it's the end of the world when, you got a person selling something for 750b.
  14. kingofthebeast Active Player

Decorating doesn't take skill. Each person views things differently. It's all a matter of perception. The average person decor on dcuo I find distasteful because it's not my personal preference. There's people who don't care for my brand of decor either because it's not their preference. Obviously there's a multitude of reasons but I listed above for simplicity.
  15. Achikah All About That Base

I completely forgot about the Merit feats back in the day... That is such a good point.

I really do hope they read this thread and address it. Like Kozzie said above, the intentions behind this are good; I'm not so consumed to belittle the stance of stabilizing the economy. However, no matter how good they are, it's not going to lead to the intended solution.

Hey, I know I'm in doom-n-gloom mode right now, but there is a small silver lining amidst all this bad: base item drops are back in the game's loot pool and there's quite a few nice ones for us to pick up as we play. It's just the treasure piles that cost an egregious amount, the rest will drop for free essentially so long as you do the mission/instance. The investigations/Briefing even are back to giving furniture. =)
    • Like x 2
  16. Eve YouTuber

Didn't even know that, damn. Also It's just the collections but It's still great to get them back in there nonetheless
    • Like x 1
  17. Achikah All About That Base

The one time I leave collections out, haha! I stand corrected and also definitely agree- it's a welcome return.
    • Like x 1
  18. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

I would beg to differ. I believe creativity is a skill people are born with and can learn to nurture and hone. There are some incredibly creative people who play this game and decorate their bases in amazing ways. I do not fall into this category, though I wish I was more skilled in decorating.

Just look at some of the based featured in the Base Off vids, they are amazing what people can do.
    • Like x 10
  19. kingofthebeast Active Player

Skills are things that we learn( you can't teach someone to like your particular taste in artwork much less have your level of perception).

Anything that anyone creates is art , it just won't resonate with everyone. You don't have to have skill to create, just vision.
  20. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

You are confusing 2 separate issues. Liking someone’s particular taste in art is not a skill nor is it something one learns. One either likes the piece of art or one does not. Being able to create that piece of art in the first place is where skill comes into play.

I work for a marketing agency and as part of my job I work alongside a Graphic Artist. He truly skilled and it is amazing what he can do. I am attempting to learn from him but it is going to take a long time lol. He has amazing skills taking his art from the drawing board to Photoshop, to the end piece of art we use in creating advertising for our clients.

There is creativity in this, just as there is creativity in what the decorators do here in game taking a blank canvas that is their bare bones base and turning it into some amazing places with the power of their own imagination. I believe this is as much a skill, though immeasurable, as any other skill one has either in-game or in the real world. Some of these player might actually be top notch interior decorators or are on the path to become such.

I will not discount them or their feelings on this matter.
    • Like x 5